1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ipad4 128GB - Is it worth?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, May 17, 2013.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys ..:smile:
    I just placed an order for an Ipad 4 with retina display 128 GB, but now I am having buyer's remorse :mad::mad:. I am thinking that I should have bought a lens instead and settled with 32GB Ipad. The whole idea of buying 128 GB was to carry with me as mobile media device which can store more images while travelling . I need some consolation now :doh::doh:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

2. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Hmmm....

$200 to go from 32GB to 128GB. 32GB UHS-1 SD cards cost about $30. So you are paying about $100 more "than necessary" for the storage.

$100 savings going all the way down to 16GB iPad. So paying $170 more "than necessary" for the storage.

Every time I do the math trying to get a mobile device to act as a storage for a trip I've determined more SD cards is the far cheaper option. And I've also come to realize I find it easier and faster to edit down shoots in the field on camera than on a mobile device (at least on my E-M5, turn on fast delete option and it is a wicked fast culling interface). And transfer times to mobile devices seem really slow as well.

The one thing I'm missing is that I often like to have two copies on travel. So I'd love a cheap and efficient way to duplicate SD cards. Apple devices (which I use) are definitely not the tool for that. Seems like Android might do it, but from what I've read can also be incredibly slow. So in those cases I'm left with my old netbook which has plenty of space on its internal magnetic drive. I just wish someone would make a cheap, effective stand alone SD card duplicator. iOS is just not the right tool for that unfortunately.

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I am not so sure you really need an sd card duplicator. My guess would be that a 32GB tablet with a 64GB micro sd card (US$40) would give you plenty of room. SD cards arent terribly fast but who needs it for data.

Then you need an add-on micro SD to micro usb port to transfer from your camera to the tablet SD card. These can be incredibly small....

snip.JPG

Obviously this is Android stuff but ipad is charging an awful lot for very little real innovation these days.

4. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Rob
    OK, I was thinking of picking up a ipad mini 64gb (and iphoto) to backup to my SD cards when travelling, however kwalsh and robbie36 bring up good points about the ipad compared to android tablet and a 64gb sd card to backup to.

I like the ipads clean interface and I think 64gb would be enough to back up my photos (jpegs) with extra room for a movie and few games to occupy my downtime but the price is what holds me back.

Anyone use an android tablet for photo backup?

Edit: forgot to add: The 128gb Ipad is very, very nice!!

5. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Bhupinder, are you planning on reviewing and editing the images or just storing them? Do you shoot raw or jpeg or both?

If you are just storing them and reviewing them when you come back home, there are some hard disk solutions that allow you to dump your sd card to the hard drive.. I want to say around the 300 - 400 range... but if you plan on reviewing and editing then you made a good choice.

The iPad is where I edit all my images... I have gone for small getaways where I have been able to dump all my images on my ipad and then go through them and delete the non-keepers. Are you the type that keeps all the images even the bad ones or do you delete the bad ones?

Will you have wifi while you are out on holiday? If so, you can leverage Photostream to transfer your images off your ipad to your library. This is how I do it and it works flawlessly. One thing tho, if you shoot raw+jpeg then only the jpeg will be transferred. If you shoot raw only then the raw will be transferred. This is what I have found from my testing...

Take a look at my iPad workflow i posted on my blog.. it will give an idea on how I manage & edit & backup my images with my iPad and MAC/PC at home... Digital Chemicals...: My iPad Photo Workflow... Introduction

Hope this helps.. I actually jealous that you got the 128.. so much storage..

Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have...

:2thumbs::drinks:

6. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Rob

Forget my earlier post. You just sold me on the Ipad for photo backup and organization. I'm an easy sell! :wink:

Great write up on your workflow. You answered any questions I might have had about the Ipad and what software to use aside from iPhoto. Thank you.

7. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Awesome.. glad I could be of service... the workflow keeps evolving...

8. Bhupinder2002

Hi Eddie..
    Thats what I was thinking , I was stuck on 64 GBone but then the price difference between 64 and 128 was only 99 dollars. Eventually for 99 dollars, I got another ipad . I plan to edit in Ipad only as I am not a great fan of spending hours and hours on computer or laptop.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

9. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    You will love editing on the iPad. Let me know if you have any questions in apps. Thx

10. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Yes it's worth it.. The iPad doesn't take external storage, so every bit extra helps. I've managed to fill my 64GB iPad without using it for photos or video. I got my wife a 128Gb because she does use it for photo and video editing.

11. Bhupinder2002

Thanks again Eddie.. I am gonna get Olympus EP5 and would love to shoot with save directly to iPad.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

12. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I'll never buy another 16gb iPad, I'm constantly running out of space. I'm actually thinking of moving to the Surface Pro when the 2nd generation. I can use a portable drive on it, and use Lightroom.

13. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Hey Rob, where did you buy your mSD-to-mUSB device? I've been googling, and I can't find anything that's ready for purchase. Also, such devices seem to be device specific. Here's the best I've found:

MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter

14. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Well it can be device specific if the manufacture of your phone disabled it or not. I know on many devices you can root to get USB host support back.

15. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Bhupi, the 128gb seems to be a lot at first, but you will need them as time goes by. It quickly fills up... your raw photos, a couple of videos, and apps, you will be delighted to see the free space. Have fun!

Next, EP5. :biggrin:

16. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I have a Lenovo Twist, i5 win8 tablet with 4Gb + 500Gb HD, and it's a bit larger than the Surface Pro, but the 500Gb HD helps a lot for photography. The problem with it, is that most apps aren't touch optimized, so there aren't that many things photographically you can do on a Win 8 tablet without the keyboard or the right click of a mouse. I'm playing with LR5, and it works so much better with a kb than without. I use it much more often as an ultrabook than as a tablet.

17. Bhupinder2002

Hi Dave ... As much as I like the versatatlity of OMD and 5 Axis IBIS , I equally loved EP3 styled body . I need this camera for specific purpose which I will reveal soon . ANyway how are u doing ?
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

18. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    EP5 file transfer via wifi to iPad? :biggrin:

19. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Do you think that the Surface kb is good enough?

20. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I shoot raw, use Lightroom, and have had a 16GB iPad2 for two years. I love the iPad for browsing and for a few apps, but it never made it into my photographic workflow. SD cards are so cheap, and less likely to get stolen, if that is a concern. If I really wanted to incorporate some hardware into my travel gear, it would be something like two USB hard drives, and a MacBook Air if my budget was generous, or a Chromebook if I wanted to go budget. Besides, when travelling, I do not want to be working on image management. I want to be enjoying myself. I can review to my heart's content when I am back home and needing a nice reminder of my travels.

Good luck,

--Ken