1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

iPad + SD Card reader?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Lurch, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Lurch

Lurch Hi, I'm a gear addict

Apr 21, 2014
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    Evening all. I'm toying with the idea of using my iPad + the lightning SD Card reader for some basic editing and online sharing whilst on the road.
    Am I going to be limited to shooting JPG or are there any iPad apps (LR Mobile?) that will import and read the RAW files?
    As far as I can tell, the Oly Image Share only works with WiFi enabled bodies (so, not the EM5 *sniff*)

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    No sure about LR mobile, have it but never use it. I do know that that Snapseed & PS Touch (just to name two) will take RAW files. I have been using the SD card reader and my iPad for awhile now and find it easier then the Oly app which I always have to mess with to get it to connect and it will only transfer JPGs. Actually can pull the card and get the photo/s I want faster then finding photo I want and converting to JPG (only shoot RAW) then messing with that crap app to get the photo.

Ronnie

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lurch

Lurch Hi, I'm a gear addict

Apr 21, 2014
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    Ive used Snapseed on Android and like it - thanks for the tip!!

4. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Snapseed is my go to app unless I need to mess with layers and I can't get to my computer.

5. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I don't believe Lr Mobile can process images, either RAW or JPEG, on it's own. It can "edit" images managed by Lr on a desktop OS that have been pushed to the cloud, but it's edits are in the form of a set of edit instructions that are previewed on the preview image posted by the desktop version. The real processing will be done back on the desktop. I don't believe that things can start on the iPad.

6. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  7. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I shoot Raw+Jpeg for this very reason. That way I have good quality jpegs to work on while on the road, but Raw when I get home. Snapseed is my main IOS editor. My workflow is usually to upload onto the iPad using WiFi, then edit in Snapseed (or other apps), then share via email, Flickr or Blogger.

The problem with using the Apple Camera Connection is that you only get to look at a thumbnail before you import, where most of the vendor's WiFi apps show you a full screen image.

I only use LR Mobile for pictures that have previously been imported into LR on my Mac.

8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I also use Snapseed. I shoot in RAW + JPEG and use the iPad primarily to cull and to make basic edits to share a few pictures immediately. I do my major post on my iMac.

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    iPhoto for iOS would import raw files and automatically create a JPEG that could be edited. You never make any adjustments to the raw conversion.

iPhoto has been replaced by Photos on iOS.

Snapseed and PS Touch were mentioned earlier. They both let you edit the embedded JPEG or the JPEG half of a raw+JPEG. They don't do a raw conversion.

There are a couple of raw converters including piRAWnha and PhotoRaw. Photogene is an image editor that will do raw conversions.

There may be others...

Fred

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Photogene has RAW support. Its functionality is sort of LR lite... it has basic adjustments but no HSL, lens correction etc. It also has basic dodge/burn, noise reduction, a few filters and some stuff like that. It's certainly worth $2.99.

Edit: Fred beat me to it :)

11. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Yep, this is exactly what I do, too.

12. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I don't believe you are correct. I shoot RAW only and import to iPad via SD card reader and then edit in Snapseed and PS touch all the time. Unless the iPad is creating a jpg on import they are using my RAW files.

13. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The rub on Photogene is that it did/may still downsize your RAW files.

14. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    You need to use the Camera Connect Kit for Snapseed if you want to work with RAW. PS touch is only works JPEGs.

15. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I love my iPad, but from everything I've read, none of the photo apps really work on RAW. When you use the SD card reader, it will import the RAW, and it's difficult to get rid of them.

16. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    On the app store, they state they can open "most" RAW files at full res, but I'm not at all an expert on iOS workflow. My main edits are on my mac. I only use iOS apps for quick and dirty edits to text or email and usually just transfer via the Panasonic app, so I don't worry that much about quality.

17. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I just bought one of these to use to get JPEGs from my X100S to my iPad Air2 and I will be returning it. Here is why:

I shoot RAW with my X100S since the camera has a built in RAW converter. I figured for those images I wanted to transfer to my iPad for futher editing or quick posting to social media, I would simply create a JPEG in camera from the RAW file. Then I would place the card into the card reader, select the JPEG image and load it onto my iPad. First problem - the amount of time it takes to load previews of all the images on the card so that one or more can be selected is extremely slow. For approximately 100 Fuji RAW files + 1 JPEG it took over 5 minutes. Second problem - as far as I can tell there is no way within the Photos app (which as I understand is the only app you can use to transfer photos/videos) to view any EXIF data, so I had no way of knowing which were the RAW files and which were the JPEGS. Transfer of the selected file was fairly quick, but in the end I wound up transferring the RAW file rather than the JPEG I wanted (because the previews looked identical).

I think the card reader would be ok if you either shoot exclusively JPEG as the previews seem to render a little more quickly, or you plan on always importing all the files from your SD card so you don't need to wait for the previews to appear. Once your images are in your camera roll, there may be external apps that can be used to view the EXIF data, but for my purposes, its unworkable.

I realize this doesn't pertain the the OP's question, but its just something I figured I'd mention in the event that it could impact potential workflow.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  18. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Just got home and was able to test this.

1. Used iPad SD card reader to import a RAW file from SD card
    2. Opened said file and was able to edit in the following apps
    SnapSeed
    PS Touch
    PhotoForge2
    PhotoWizard
    WordFoto

What I don't know is if IOS is converting to JPG on import into the app but when I go to import the photo into Snapseed is shows up as Pxxxxxxxx.ORF so Snapseed sees it as a RAW file and allows me to import from the camera roll. So I would say that Snapseed is using the RAW file and not an IOS generated JPG.

I can confidently say to the OP that you can shoot in RAW only and use the card reader to transfer RAW photos to your iPad and edit them in the above apps. Those are the only ones I have on my iPad to check if they work.

As far as PS Touch goes it seems to be importing the RAW file and not converting to a jpg, but it does save all it's file within in the program in a .psdx format. When you save to camera roll or export to something else is when it converts to jpg.

19. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I just tested my EM1 with the Apple Camera Connection SD card reader on my Ipad. I took one shot Raw only, and one Raw+JPEG. The iPad Photos app will happily import the Raw, and the JPEG from the Raw+JPEG image. I then turned to Snapseed to open both images.

Snapseed appears to open the Raw image. It says it's 3200x2400 pixels and 20MB. It will only save a 1.9MB JPEG, 3200x2400 pixels, however.

Snapseed also opens the JPEG from the R+J image. It says it's 4608x3456 pixels and 7.8MB. Snapseed will save a 4.71MB JPEG from this, which is 4608x3456 pixels.

So ... I'm not convinced that the Raw file is actually what's being manipulated. It's possible that it's the preview JPEG that's embedded in the ORF. Anyone have any ideas of how to test this?

20. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Nice rundown, some of those apps I have not used. None of the Adobe products work from the RAW image but from a JPEG. The two apps that I know can edit in RAW, Snapseed and Photogene, have only limited editing abilities. Although, in fairness, I deleted the Photogene app quite some time ago.