1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ipad + raw files? workflow suggestions?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ryanlogic, Aug 8, 2012.

1. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Might be traveling, and I want to come up with a lightweight solution to upload and and process keepers on the road for a photoblog I am putting together.

I currently only have a desktop at home, and I am thinking about getting either a laptop or an IPad.

There are other factors at play, but the ability edit and upload photos on the road efficiently will likely play a large part in the decision making process.

I would really like to be able to decide upon the iPad, because I like the form factor and price. But I don't want to feel like I should have gone with a laptop.

I don't need much in the way of processing, but I would like to be able to easily crop, adjust levels, and do some of the basic stuff.

does anyone here utilize an iPad for anything like this?

Which apps if any?

2. mav

mav Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Matt
    I'm unsure what the iPad is capable of in this regard, but I do have knowledge of its awesome battery life (I've had an iPad 1 and 2 supplied to me at various jobs). I will ask this, have you considered a MacBook Air + Aperture or Lightroom?

I have a 13" one with a Core i7 and 4gb ram with a 256gb SSD, it is crazy fast and it has about 8 hours of battery life. Also it has advanced power saving features like the iPad where you just close the lid and it stays in standby using only a tiny amount of power. I can close my lid and stay in standby for 2 days and it only uses 2-4% of the battery, then I open the lid and bang its immediately on. It uses slightly more battery in standby than an iPad, but it can do everything a real computer can.

The 11" macbook air is very close to the size of an iPad as well and they're only going for 999usd I think. Great mobile RAW darkroom.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The iPad is an ideal travel companion in a lot of ways - every time I'm on the road I'm tempted to buy one again. However (and this is a big issue) it has limited storage space (64 gigs fills up fast when you're shooting RAW) and to the best of my knowledge, there are no apps available for processing RAW files themselves. Plenty for working with JPGs, so it's more than adequate for blogging needs.

Also, Mav, the MacBook air *is* a 'real computer', so it obviously does everything a real computer does :p

I have a 13" Air (same spec as yours, typing on it right now) and it's a fantastic little machine. 8 hours of battery is perhaps a touch optimistic in real-world terms with screen brightness set to mid level and WiFi on. iPads do significantly better. They're also not terribly large. However, I rarely take it along when traveling, since that often means backpacking and/or travel in countries that are a little less safe in terms of theft. I generally use 'net cafes and a hard drive/card reader to back stuff up, but the iPad may well feature in my future travel plans, because it's really quite ideal for on the road kind of stuff. The 11" Air I find annoyingly small in terms of screen real estate. The iPad makes more 'effective' use of it all.

4. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    You'll have to shoot raw + jpeg, I did this at my brothers wedding, it doesn't display many raw properly buy it does store them for you to get off at a later date,
    Do you have the camera adapter? There are some good photo processing apps, iPhoto, filterstorm & Snapseed. Photogene is another

I have done cropping resizing, basic filters like sharp etc, upload to photobucket etc

I forgot photoshop express, it used to be free but not sure if it still is

5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    as much as i love the ipad, is not a laptop and for that reason, is not enough to create a raw-processing-workflow. ipad i think is more for tethering with clients, jpegs, portfolio showing and all that. but still not there for editing and such, not saying that it will never be, but not now. and if you say, raw images, processing and bloggin then go with a small laptop like a mac air and such. way better option for not that much more money, cause eventhough you would like to go with the ipad route then i think you would need not the 16gb but the 64gb and thats almost 1k. and for that money id go for the laptop instead.

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Yes, yuo can process raw files on an iPad. There are several apps available that will process from raw data. However, the iPad doesn't have the processing power to do it efficiently. If you insist on using raw files then you're better off with a laptop. If you're prepared to shoot jpeg+raw then you can use awesome programs like Snapseed or Photogene to process files.

If the only reason for carrying a device is to process raw files then a laptop is a better solution. I prefer to travel with my iPad and a Hyperdrive. I use the Hyperdrive to backup all my files and play with only the absolute keeper on the iPad. But I also use my iPad as my book reader, video player, notebook and the odd game in an airport lounge. The iPad shares the charger with my phone which means less cables. The iPad suits *my* needs when I travel. Inly you can decide if you are prepared to make the compromises it needs.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  7. Oopsydaisy74

Oopsydaisy74 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Will
    If you have the new iPad, processing raw files should not be a problem, although it will be slow to import. Photoraw is a great app for this, but my favorites are Filterstorm Pro and Snapseed(yes, it can handle raw files). If you're familiar with Nik desktop software, you'll be comfortable using Snapseed with it's control points, etc. Space shouldn't be an issue, but you can upload to cloud services like Dropbox or FTP if you find you need to. Also, just took a look at that Hyperdrive flash mentioned and it seems awesome! Damn, there goes another purchase:doh:

8. Segiy

Segiy New to Mu-43

May 19, 2012
    I use iPhoto on my iPad (3rd gen) a fair bit, I know it plays nice with my D700 RAW's but can't think if it does with the OM-D...

9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    To the best of my knowledge, iPhoto for iPad does not actually process your RAW, but only uses the embedded JPG for whatever edits you're doing. See Apple's own documentation:

Using RAW images with iPhoto for iOS

10. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Snapseed uses the embedded jepg within a raw file to work on. Great on an EP3. Not so hot on a Leica where the embedded jepg is only 600 pixels across or a camera that Apple doesn't support.

Gordon

Sorry. mattia beat me to it.

11. Reactions

Reactions Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Norcal
    Gabe
    Actually u can upload raw to the iPad

U need the sd adapter and the app called PhotoRAW.

Obviously limited by space. But I think u can use drop box too

12. marcusmichaels

marcusmichaels Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    London
    Marcus Michaels
    I have the 'Camera Connection Kit' for iPad and use the SD card adapter. I shoot only RAW (not RAW + JPEG) and have no problems uploading and editing in apps such as Snapseed and Photoforge2 (RAW compatible) - although, when the iPad imports them to the camera roll, it's a JPEG image. You can download the raw files by plugging it in and downloading from iTunes.

But yea, Snapseed + Photoforge + adapter + iPad is an amazing on the go set up. <guilty-pleasure> I often use my OM-D in this way and upload to Instagram... </guilty-pleasure>

13. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I travel quite a bit for work, and try to get out and take some pictures as I usually go to interesting places. I do not take my laptop any more, the iPad is "good enough" considering the HUGE benefits (apps, battery life, turn on speed, don't have to take out at security).

The iPad will handle raw, but you will be working with the imbedded JPG. This is way more than perfectly suitable for posting to the web to share your adventures with friends/family. The iPad is an excellent tool for culling images, although, if you shoot RAW+JPG, it's all or nothing - deleting the image will whack both, you can't just save the raw.

I copy the images to the iPad for culling, and then delete the missed ones off the card, so I have the good ones on both, and then use the card to upload to the computer when I get home.

14. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Wow, I really appreciate everyone's input!

...still on the fence about getting an iPad.

I like it for the apps and the form factor and now the new screen resolution..... But I think I need more than it can offer.

and I didn't think about the fact that the base model will only be 16Gb and how the fact that I would want a lot more storage would jack up the price. Negating much of the cost savings I was factoring in.

My 32gb iPhone 4s is full of audiobooks, pictures and apps... I'm pretty sure I would fill up an iPad pretty quick.

I didn't really consider the MacBook air, but I probably should look into it.

Thanks again!

15. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I shoot jpeg and RAW and the way I use jpeg together with an ipad is perhaps a little geeky but is also the most logical imho.

I shoot to an eye-fi card on an OMD. The eye-fi card dumps all my jpegs into my photo album in my ipad. When I get to my PC I upload my RAW files to my PC via the SD card in the normal manner.

I use an app called photosmith in ipad to sort reject, color, star and tag the jpeg files that then sync via a photosmith LR plug-in to the RAW files on the PC. The jpegs are not downloaded to the PC but the RAW files are sorted and tagged.

I can also edit etc the jpegs from the photo album using other ipad apps.

The only problem is that I do not wish to mix my edited RAW photos with my jpegs that are dumped from my SD card into the ipad photo album. So what I do is upload my edited pics from my pc to Flickr and then download them to a 'portfolio app' called 'portfolio pro' which stores photos on your ipad without using the ipad photo album (and allows you to delete photos in app).

16. Oopsydaisy74

Oopsydaisy74 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Will
  17. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    I picked up an iPad for other reasons, but if you guys could have only one photo editing app, what would you buy?

18. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    My choice would be Snapseed. I have numerous other photo apps, but t
    Snapseed gets opened first and is usually my one stop.

19. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Honestly I'd spring for the Macbook Air (or other ultrabook of preference) over the iPad in doing photo stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I used Snapseed for processing my photos on our last trip (Alaska) and posting a photo or two each day. My plan was to bring the iPad only (which I always bring traveling anyway), and back up my SD cards to a PicPac external drive. The backup drive didn't work out very well, but the iPad and Snapseed works very well considering the limitations.

That said, at the end of the trip I was convinced I'd prefer to bring a laptop in the future for editing photos. Both so I can get some editing done on the road, and to go through and weed out the shots I know I won't want to keep, flag the best shots of the day, etc. It was a daunting task to go through a couple thousand photos when we got home from the trip!