iPad Pro vs. Laptop - workflow differences

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maflynn, Jul 17, 2017.

1. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    Anyone use the iPad Pro for their workflow as opposed to a laptop? I have both, but when it comes to photography, I use my laptop and Lightroom.

I'm curious to know how people feel about the iPad and using it instead of the laptop?

2. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a 256g 10.5", I'm hoping that with the add of a filesystem to iOS 11 and the desperately needed changes coming to Lightroom (and hopefully LR Mobile as part of the fix...) that it will actually be more useable for traveling photo storage, cataloging, and editing as well. With the shutdown of PhotoSmith, I find an ipad just doesn't suit my needs as well as an actual laptop. I really need keywords if not also map/location tagging so that I can transfer it to my desktop/laptop once I'm at home for an iPad workflow to really work for me.

I've heard really good things about Afinity Photo for iPad but probably won't invest in it till I get the new ipad.

3. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    I see Adobe just released a nice update to the iOS Lightroom app and that offers more power, but until I have more flexibility with library management, I'm not sure if the iPad can replace my laptop. I've been looking into it, and things are improving but at least for me, I don't see it replacing it.

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I use my 9.7" iPad Pro as my mobile device. Like Repp, I am looking forward to iOS 11's file system. I have no desire to return to a laptop. FWIW - I also have a 5K iMac.