iPad Pro in 2020 as only photo editing tool?

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
If Adobe ever comes out with a real iPadOS version of LR Classic instead of forcing people to play in their cloud, I could see using my ipad much more. I pretty much only use my laptop for work and photo editing/cataloguing before offloading them to my NAS. I'm hoping that with M1/ARM chips becoming standard and OSX/iPadOS becoming more cross compatible, that we'll see more companies like Adobe, DXO, Phase1, NIK, and Skylum become cross platform.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
If Adobe ever comes out with a real iPadOS version of LR Classic instead of forcing people to play in their cloud, I could see using my ipad much more. I pretty much only use my laptop for work and photo editing/cataloguing before offloading them to my NAS. I'm hoping that with M1/ARM chips becoming standard and OSX/iPadOS becoming more cross compatible, that we'll see more companies like Adobe, DXO, Phase1, NIK, and Skylum become cross platform.
I don’t think Adobe will ever bring Lightroom Classic to iOS or iPadOS. And the reason behind my belief is that Adobe seems to be putting in the works of building up Lightroom Mobile and Photoshop Mobile, adding the missing features of their desktop counterparts.
Apples Rosetta X64 to ARM translator could be a hope that Adobe will take advantage and let the M1 chip backport the desktop version of Lightroom Classic to the iPadOS and not put the money and effort required to rewrite the code for Lightroom Classic ... when have you ever seen Adobe not be lazy (in all honesty)?

I do believe that the M1 and successors of the chip will become the standard across the board for all Apple devices because Apple loves to control everything in they “ecosystem”, from hardware to software. And there’s a long history of dislike and disappointment between major manufacturers of Apples products: nVidia, Intel, Samsung, Qualcomm, etc.
Apple has been slowly building up an independence of design for years.

And for software developers, they will always flock to the most popular platforms because it’s a financial incentive: more consumers means more buyers equal more profits.
While the whole computing industry has been slowly converting from X86 to ARM architecture the progress has been painfully slow because of the failing of Microsoft (Surface RT anyone? Windows Phone?) and Google (Chromebooks, Chrome OS) as well as Samsung (Bada OS, Wave OS, Tizen OS) and many others. Apple might be the actual brand that will push the industry hardware wise and software wise into a full on implementation of ARM architecture efficiency and more universal compatibility.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Fortunately, if you can hold out with what hardware you have, you can let their bad gambles blow over. Butterfly keyboard is dead, and touchbar is rumored to be going away too.

Haha, I bought my last Macbook in 2014. Since then it's been downhill with macbook pros. No SD-Card, no HDMI, Touchbar. Not sure if they also had butterfly keyboards. I've had to do a lot of holding out, but if the rumours can be believed all my dreams will come true this year with either the 14" or 16" MBP. Honestly can't wait.

Btw, that 7 year old MBP is still going fairly strong. Only the battery is slightly faulty and will sometimes just power off. As long as I am connected to the grid everything is fine though and editing in Lightroom and even some video games are no problem. The last Macbook before that was the same, although at 7 years it was a lot slower than the current one. It might be expensive, but over the course of its whole lifespan I don't think I paid too much.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Haha, I bought my last Macbook in 2014. Since then it's been downhill with macbook pros. No SD-Card, no HDMI, Touchbar. Not sure if they also had butterfly keyboards. I've had to do a lot of holding out, but if the rumours can be believed all my dreams will come true this year with either the 14" or 16" MBP. Honestly can't wait.

Btw, that 7 year old MBP is still going fairly strong. Only the battery is slightly faulty and will sometimes just power off. As long as I am connected to the grid everything is fine though and editing in Lightroom and even some video games are no problem. The last Macbook before that was the same, although at 7 years it was a lot slower than the current one. It might be expensive, but over the course of its whole lifespan I don't think I paid too much.
Rumor has it they might even go crazy enough to give us the SDcard slot back! What Apple does in terms of design, others often do seem to copy. It's hard to find a decent laptop (like with a good display), that also has ports. I really like my XPS17, which was one of the few laptops with a nice, bright, accurate display AND an SDcard slot that didn't cost way too much. Even then, it has 0 USB-A ports. It has 4 USB-C/TB ports, so I need to use a dongle.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
do believe that the M1 and successors of the chip will become the standard across the board for all Apple devices because Apple loves to control everything in they “ecosystem”, from hardware to software. And there’s a long history of dislike and disappointment between major manufacturers of Apples products: nVidia, Intel, Samsung, Qualcomm, etc.
Apple has been slowly building up an independence of design for years.
Might as well add AMD, since they've been supplying GPUs to Apple for years now. Apple has moved to controlling their own destiny, which should play out well for them as long as they can execute on their own designs. Considering their financial state and R&D team, I don't see why not. Apple did okay with using Intel for years, and then Intel started really failing at execution--it probably accelerated Apple's move to their own chips. Qualcomm and nVidia really did themselves no favors either with some of their business strategies.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu

I figured out a mathematical justification for the cost of most devices that I use this days: every year of use on a device you half the cost of your initial purchase. IF the lifespan that you hope/intend for the device comes down to a price you are willing to pay each year then it’s worth the MSRP asking price.
Here’s how I justified my Big Oly: 1.600£ ... if I will use it for the next 6 years minimum as my main camera then it’s 267£ each year that I use it. That’s a price I am willing to pay in the long run.

With my Asus ZenBook Pro Duo it was a bit more difficult to justify because Microsoft has a pretty bad track record on long term support for its OS: Windows 8 and 8.1, most software and games will put right refuse to install, Windows 7 (which is the best Windows in history) has features compatibility dropped (no Direct X 12 support, meaning any GPU acceleration in photo and video editing is dead). It was a huge gamble to pay 2.500 £ but I did because of a few unique features that has made my life so much better and easier: OLED screen (best display quality), touch screen (indispensable for navigating images when editing like zooming and panning), pen support (local brush adjustments are so much easier and more fun) and 2 screens (multitasking is a breeze with the extra screen space).
So 2.500 £ for,I hope, 5 years means 500 £ each year. But I already hit a huge problem: 16GB solder RAM means no upgradability and I’m already hitting painful slowdowns and frustrations from that. (Same situation a MacBook would be in). Only one M.2 SSD means stuck on 2TB storage max, which means limited Page File System increase to alleviate the RAM problem. (Same situation a MacBook would be in). And severe external port problem: only 2 USB 3.1 Type A ports and ONE!!! Thunderbolt Type C port. (Similar situation with MacBook but at least the MacBook has all of them Thunderbolt).
Asus ZenBook Pro Duo is the MacBook Pro in hardware limitations but has the features I wish a MacBook Pro had. iPad Pro is the Asus ZenBook Pro Duo in terms of features but with the severe external and internal storage and throughput of working with large sets is pictures.

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
I tried this for a while last year but just didn't get along with it. And until the iPad Pro is able to be accurately light/color profiled, I don't see much point in trying to use it. Why spend thousands on cameras/lenses/etc and have no accuracy on your output?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom