iPad Pro in 2020 as only photo editing tool?

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Now that the M1 macbooks run iPad Apps, I wonder if Apple will finally quit being stubborn and make a touchscreen or 2-in-1 Macbook. The MB Air is lighter than a 12.9" Ipad Pro with magic keyboard, so no weight penalty. And being able to run full Photo editors in Mac OS and then also have great iPad apps like Snapseed or VSCO side by side sounds great to me. That along with Pencil support.

My guess is Apple still expects us to buy both a laptop and an iPad so they won't want to give us that.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Now that the M1 macbooks run iPad Apps, I wonder if Apple will finally quit being stubborn and make a touchscreen or 2-in-1 Macbook. The MB Air is lighter than a 12.9" Ipad Pro with magic keyboard, so no weight penalty. And being able to run full Photo editors in Mac OS and then also have great iPad apps like Snapseed or VSCO side by side sounds great to me. That along with Pencil support.

My guess is Apple still expects us to buy both a laptop and an iPad so they won't want to give us that.
Why give up on economical incentive when you have such a loyal and dedicated user base with quite a high disposable income given the price of the Apple products (with a very little exception of the base models on all their product lines):
(All starting price)
*Mac Pro: 5.500 £ (8 Core / 32GB RAM / 256GB SSD)
*Mac Mini: 700 £ (M1 8 Core / 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD)
*iMac 21.5": 1.100 £ (2 Core / 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD)
*iMac 27": 1.800 £ (6 Core / 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD)
*iMac Pro: 5.000 £ (10 Core / 32GB RAM / 1TB SSD)
*MacBook Air: 1.000 £ (M1 8 Core / 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD)
*MacBook Pro 13": 1.300 £ (M1 8 Core / 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD)
*MacBook Pro 16": 2.400 £ (6 Core / 16GB RAM / 512GB SSD)

*iPad Mini: 400 £ (A12 CPU / 3GB RAM / 64GB Storage)
*iPad 10.2": 330 £ (A12 CPU / 3GB RAM / 32GB Storage)
*iPad Air: 580 £ (A14 CPU / 4 GB RAM / 64GB Storage)
*iPad Pro 11": 770 £ (A12Z CPU / 6GB RAM / 128GB Storage)
*iPad Pro 12.9": 970 £ (A12Z CPU / 6GB RAM / 128GB Storage)
If you look at their product line it's noticeable that the iPad is aimed at computing under 1000 £, with the only exception of Mac Mini and MacBook Air. At the size of MacBook Air I don't see it gaining a touch screen and not competing in price and performance with the iPad Pro. So either one would get more expensive or the other one gets cheaper ... and Apple almost never lowers the price of their current gen models. There is a bigger gap between the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro 13" BUT again, those costs wouldn't add up without a price increase.
It would make sense, from Apple's past habits, economically to lock a touch screen option to the highest end model, where you max out the RAM and Storage and justify the extra cost of such an option.

I think Apple with stubbornly hang on to not putting a touch screen in anything not iPad for quite a while ... as much as I would love to see an iMac and/or MacBook Pro with touch screen and pen support. Especially for the iMac as a drawing and photo editing station IF they give us a tiltable stand OR the option of VESA mounting support

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I’ve never used a keyboard on my iPad 12.9 Pro. I find the soft keyboard acceptable for the blogging I do while traveling (remember traveling? It’s that thing where you pack some stuff and go stay somewhere other than your home temporarily, for fun). I don’t write 5,000 word posts, but they can go to a couple of pages with the images.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom