iPad OS... the potential is obvious.

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Brian Mosley, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Just came across this app for the iPad - unfortunately, I can't embed the video demo here, but take a look... very interesting!

I love how the complete screen of the iPad becomes the custom UI for the application... looking at that demo, I can see how they've gone for a direct copy of the physical device with knobs that turn - maybe an improvement would be to use a popup slider or pinch style control.

Anyhow, I want a full blown workstation that uses an iPad user interface... maybe a wifi link to a server somewhere with all the horsepower would be a good idea?

For the first time in a long time, I'm really excited about the evolution of user interfaces.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  2. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    i went o apple retail store the other day - {ipad i want} however 3 staff members could not tell me if i could print from th bloody thing - there are 3 apps for printing but i tested them..a development kit has been released by apple - hopefully thr first software release for it it will be in there

the studio does look good

3. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    The problem in the short term, is that the iPad isn't designed to replace a desktop (or powerful workstation)... that's really what I would like - a hardcore iPad... or at least a wifi link to a server at home doing the heavy lifting.

Cheers

Brian

4. Franssales

Franssales Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 22, 2010
    I think that in case you do not have an urgent need, I mean real need, you should hold your horses for some months to see if you can make use of the coming low prices with it, or skip it altogether.

They are planning and already making tons of iPad clones in Asia. Some with Android, some with WinCE and others, some even able to run iPad OS. There will be a massive wave of releases of pads, and just like Androids will push the price of smartphones close to 100 euro this year.

One good reason to keep with iPad is AppleStore, though, but it depends on your needs. What I need is a lightweight living-room pad to read newspapers, browse the net and check TV programs, weather, timetables, emails and IM, get railway tickets etc. And take it with me when travelling, as a guide. Android pads will do all that and they will be fine for me.

In fact, within two weeks I'm going to Berlin with my wife and I wish that I already had one, but I have too little time to explore the market...

5. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I've decided not to jump in feet first (this time) either :smile: I'd like to see an iPad with ultra high res display and as I said above, higher spec... but it's definitely got potential!

Cheers

Brian

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I think an Android version would be awesome.