1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ipad is king....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robbie36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I was travelling in Southern Thailand for the whole of last week and although I took my notebook with me, I didnt use it once. I find that the Ipad now covers all my needs and rather better than my notebook.

For general use it is a mobile network data connection so I am not dependent on wifi networks and network keys, a long battery life and GPS.

For my photography, it is a perfect compliment for my OMD. I shoot RAW + jpeg and use it with....

(1) An eye-fi card set to download jpegs. So I shoot switch and when I have finished switch on the eye-fi card and it downloads the latest photos. The eye-fi card is much maligned by some people but the software works with it much better these days. Plus it is the only way to get jpegs from RAW+jpegs into your camera as the camera kit will only allow you to ingest RAW+jpegs together. I didnt need to take the card out of the camera once.

(2) For previewing the jpegs I used Photosmith. This also allows you to sort - color, reject and star - your photos and integrates with LR. It syncs the metadata via wifi with your RAWs when you get back to your PC. It took less than 2 minutes to do over 500 photos.

(3) For displaying finished photos or my photos collection to people, I use 'portfolio pro' - a portfolio app. I like this app because it 'downloads' photos very quickly from my 'Flickr' (you simply select a 'set' and import). It also keeps all your photos 'within the app' which means that they are separate from the 'eye-fi' jpegs which are saved to the camera roll.

I basically used both these apps everyday. The only other camera app I have is the Oly App which lets me access my GF's EPL5 as well as add filters to the photos on my camera roll. (Oh yes and 'geotagphotos' which does what its name implies.)

Anyone else have any other apps that they find particularly useful (other than editing apps)?

• Like Like x 1
  2. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Cool, I'm looking to try out the Nexus 10 for the display, but I don't believe it will have internet connectivity beyond wi-fi as an option (at least not at release). I briefly used a Raw viewer app (it might have been called that...free version and a $9.99 version) before I sold the iPad 3rd gen. It was great for viewing RX100 raw files without correction on the beautiful iPad display before LR4 added the camera's profile.

3. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I'm looking forward to a 2nd generation iPad mini next Christmas. Hopefully it's display will be Retina quality.

My 3rd gen iPad is nice but a tad heavier than I would like it to be. I also find the 7.9" form factor comfortable.

4. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    I already own a Asus Transformer, but now I really want to look at the EyeFi option to see how well it would work out.

The transformer does everything I need it to do, plus with the keyboard dock I could be out for a while and not worry too much about battery life.