1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

iPad/iPhone SD card reader?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jcm5, Jul 10, 2015.

1. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    Anyone use an SD card reader type dongle with their iOS devices? (Lightning pin)

I saw Apple has one but it looks to be awfully expensive for a small accessory (typical.)

Any suggestions for a different third party SD card reader welcome. Also, if you do connect the SD card to the device, how does the device access the file? It wouldn't show up just by pressing PHOTOS, I assume...?

2. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I have the Apple one. As soon as you connect it, the Photos app comes up with the import screen. It's not good for reviewing photos, and Photos is the only app that has access, so cull your photos in-camera first.

There's a few other options out there, mostly wireless access points with readers, but they're all more expensive.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What are you trying to accomplish? Does your camera have wi-fi?

4. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    I had the 30-pin connector one, which worked fine, and just bought the Lightning connector version. Yes, it was too expensive, but such is Apple. I haven't used it yet, though.

I would be wary of third-party options that use the Lightning connector. I've had trouble with third party cables not charging either the iPad or the iPhone, even cables that said they were Apple-certified. And that's just charging -- for data transfer using a Lighning connector, I'd definitely stick with Apple. (Even some Apple accessories don't do data transfer. I looked at getting the 30-pin to Lightning adapter so I could continue to use my 30-pin SD card doohickey, but it turns out that the adapter works for charging only.)

5. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    If the camera doesn't have WiFi, what about an Eye-Fi card? How well do those work? Of course, since I just bought the Apple SD card thing, I may not want to hear that the Eye-Fi cards work well.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    Be aware, it doesn't work with iPhones, only iPads, which is really stupid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
  8. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have one of these and I don't use it because it is so finicky.

I also quit using my SD card reader for my iPad because it will import all of the RAW files and they are difficult to remove and waste space.

If I know that I will want to import photos to my iPad, and will shoot in JPG and use WiFi to import them.

9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I use the Apple dongle for my iPad. I stopped using the Olympus Wi-Fi as it was too slow. I like using the iPad as the pics are automatically backed up or I can easily move them to Dropbox, etc.

10. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
    Hello,
    I have lots of pictures on my ipad, raw+jpeg copied over from the sd card. It is a bit slow because of the RAW's but if you think about it and leave it to copy while you go do something else, I found I can adjust...
    I'm not sure I used the raw version of the picture, but I edited some of them and shared with my family on icloud.
    Very nice workflow for that, I left the laptop at home and my ipad did everything I needed it to (computer wise ;)

I didn't try deleting them yet, as I haven't run out of space, can you share the difficulty, as well as some tricks to overcome it?
    Thanks.

11. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    What iPad are you using? I don't have a problem with my iPad Air.

12. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
    Not sure you are asking me... I have an ipad air 2.
    I have not encountered any problem besides the slow import... but that is for raw+jpeg.
    I was looking for Harvey Melvin Richards take on the problems to clean up the raw files from the ipad.

13. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    No, sorry I was not replying to your post. I thought there was a post about an iPad heating up to the point of being hot. I don't see it now, it must have been deleted.