iPad for culling images?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by WT21, Aug 14, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I mainly use Lightroom, but I get tired of being tied to a computer.

I thought I'd try to use my iPad to simply cull images, but I'm struggling to figure out a workflow.

What I want to do, is look through my native images on my iPad, choose the ones I want and delete the ones I don't, then later load those into Lightroom for and edits, etc.

First, I tried loading pictures through iTunes, but that "optimizes" the images -- meaning it copies into a smaller resolution. My issue with this is, I'm not working with the original RAW images, so anything I delete, I have to manually compare to the RAW, to figure out which ones I want to keep.

Second, I tried dropbox, but deleting the files through dropbox is tedious.

Does someone have a good workflow for viewing choosing the original files on your iPad, before loading into Lightroom (or other DAM or editor)?

Thanks!

2. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I haven't found the iPad to be very useful to me for file management/content editing, so I use it almost entirely for content consumption. One alternative to an iPad would be one of the new MB Air models. More money, but considerably more utility and still small and lightweight, with full file management/content editing.

In time, I think the iPad will probably get some useful desktop file/folder management/utility, but it's very poor at that now.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I use my iPad for culling "in the field" all the time using the camera connector kit.

Using cc kit, import all photos.
    Go into photos, "last import" folder and cull
    Go back to "camera" folder, and you can see which ones you deleted because they won't have a check mark
    Select those and delete them off the card
    Import from the card into Lightroom when you get home

• Like Like x 2
  4. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    That sounds like a nice work around for culling. Now if we can just get better file management on the iPad, that would be great.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    So, do you leave the cc kit connected through the whole process?

6. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    I use it in a variant of the method used by ~tc~:

shoot jpeg+RAW
    import using camera connection kit, it imports both, delete all from card.
    head into last import, culling
    optional: play with the imported images on iPad and publish from there. I use snapseed, photoforge2 and others to do this when I like to play.
    connect the iPad with your computer, import from the iPad into Lightroom.
    optional: delete the imported pictures from the iPad
    optional: export from lightroom to a sync folder using optimized settings. If they are the "right" size, iTunes won't destroy them in the process. I have a preset at home for this.

this way, the pictures on my iPad all come from Lightroom, apart from the newly imported ones and the ones I save after playing on the iPad.

Hope this helps.

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Oooh, a topic close to my own heart. I could have bought several "real computers" if I charged my self standard rates got the time I've wasted getting this to work. But I've got my travel workflow to a reasonable level now.

I import using the camera connection kit and copy all files to an Epson P3000 with a 120GB drive. I then cull hard using the iPad photo app. As you know I'm a fan of Photosmith and I still use it to rate files and create Lightroom collections on my iPad. Then I copy the files from the Epson and the catalogue from the iPad to my computer when I get home.

Tomorrow my new Hyperdrive for iPad arrives and I'll put a 500GB drive in it. Hopefully it will improve things further still.

Gordon

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yes, I leave it connected.

I may do some editing with Photogene for posting to FB, but want the original files on the card "unmolested" for the computer.

9. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I've been afraid to delete images after import to iPad, and I haven't set up my new iMac to receive RAW photos from the iPad. So, for now, I do the whole import/upload thing twice. Definitely not optimum! I do enjoy editing the JPEGs on the iPad, especially with Snapseed from Nik.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I just tried Snapseed based on Chuck's comment above. How is that NOT the best iPad app for Photography??? Incredible!!! I'm going to get an SD card reader for my iPad just for that, and may shoot jpg just for fun! Thanks!

11. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Chuck and WT21... thanks for the comments on Snapseed... That app is smokin'! :2thumbs:

I obviously need to revisit using my iPad for some imaging work.

12. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Here's something interesting for the iPad if you use LR: Photosmith – the iPad mobile companion for Adobe Lightroom

My issue with this app -- if you mark a file as rejected, it's ignored during the sync process rather than being marked for deletion in LR.

You could get around that by using the purple flag to mark rejects, I suppose, but why they don't send the reject flag I don't know.