1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

iPad - Dropbox - Lightroom Workflow?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by quatchi, Mar 30, 2013.

1. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Hey,

in summer this year I will be traveling for three weeks. During that time I hope to snap quite a lot of pictures. As for equipment to drag around with me, I am thinking about only bringing my iPad for first views (and maybe selection of images), as a backup device and maybe for backing up images online (in case I pass a WiFi once in a while).

My current workflow is to bring a couple of SD cards. Plug them into Apple's camera connection kit, select some few promising looking ones and then view or maybe edit them on the iPad. All other images stay on the SD card and when I am back home I import them to Lightroom.

The thing is, however, I only own a 32GB iPad2 which tends to be quite full with apps, video, etc. That means, I cannot import all my images onto the iPad in order two have to copies of the images (one on the iPad and one on the SD card).

That's where my question comes in:
    Has anyone a nice workflow in which to sync the images (RAW!) from the iPad with an online storage solution*? In order to have a backup and being able to easily import the images from the online storage into Lightroom?

My dream would be: Each day upload all images from the SD card onto the iPad. Maybe delete the misfits (eventually some minor editing) and then upload them to the online storage. Afterwards I would delete the images on the iPad expect some of my absolut favorits which I plan to share online while still being on the road (e.g., 500px, Facebook, etc.). When coming home, I would just need to import the images from the online storage or the SD card (= always having to copies of an image).

Any suggestions towards an App, workflow or description of own experiences in this regard are very welcome!

Thanks in advance and already Happy Easter!

---
    *) I happen to have a Drobox subscription but its not a must in case another solution would be better.

2. dafloyd

dafloyd Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2013
    Munich, Germany
    Dirk Essl
    For me this works: (iPad needs to be jailbroken)

You need:
    Apple CCK
    Powered USB Hub
    SD card reader
    2.5" USB Harddrive
    iFile from cydia

Plug the Camera connection kit to the ipad (USB version, not the SD reader)
    Plug the USB Hub to the CCK and give it power via power supply. I use the iPad power supply for this.
    Plug the SD Card Reader to the USB Hub.
    Plug the Harddrive to the USB Hub. (Harddrive should be fat32 formatted)
    Start iFile and copy all pictures from the SD card to the Harddrive.
    Eject the harddrive and quit iFile.
    Import those pictures that you might want to edit to the iPad and edit them wit the app of your choice. When finished with editing, plug the harddrive again and copy the Camera Roll to it.

This way you have a backup of all pictures on the harddrive. I would also bring as many SD cards as I have and only delete old cards, when space becomes critical on my last card.

The harddrive can be brought to an internet cafe to upload pictures to dropbox. But many internet cafes do not allow plugging hardddrives and the upload speed will mostly be slow.

Uploading them from the dropbox app works, but only if the iPad is plugged to power and automatic locking is disabled. Otherwise it just stops after 5 minutes.

I hope I could give you some ideas.

3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    How much are you planning on shooting? Downloading via wifi could be an awfully slow process. 32gb cards are quite affordable these days. Can you purchase a handful and sort things out when you return?

--Ken

4. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    That is my plan anyway. But I would like to have a backup copy of each image in case I lose a card or it fails on me. The iPad would be the natural device to store the images but my 32GB version hasn't much space left. Thats where the online idea came from.

But I am open to other suggestions - like the one from dafloyd - as well...

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
  6. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Having a 64gb iPad 3, the CCK and playing with this concept for the past 2 years, including JB'ing my 16gb iPad 2. I just don't use my iPad as a review or backup device.

The tools, software, hardware, is just not suited for it, especially not for RAW files. It works ok for jpegs from my GF3, but not raw from the GH2 or my dslrs.

My current workflow is to review in-camera (1st cull), backup to my Hyperdrive and 2nd review on a laptop.

For my next trip, I have a Thinkpad Twist, a win8 tablet with 4gb, i5 processor and 500gb hd. It's bigger than my iPad, but much more friendly than my 15in laptop. The Hyperdrive always comes along, but I can browse the raw files directly now.

7. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Are you using a mac or pc? If you are using a mac you can just leverage Photostream and have it transfer your images back to your mac and into iPhoto that is probably on your system. Then you can just export the images when you get back home and import them back into LR. This requires WIFI and you have to shoot RAW only. If you shoot RAW+ JPEG then it will only transfer the JPEG.

If you are on a PC, Setup iCloud and you can then have the images transfer back to your PC into a folder.

Digital Chemicals...: Multiple Photostream Backups...

I have linked my quick setup for backing up to a windows system.

I would also recommend the extra memory cards as another form of backup... but this method seems to work for me on my trips. As long as you will have wifi access and its fast enough to transfer raws...

I also blogged about my iPad workflow here...Digital Chemicals...: My iPad Photo Workflow... Introduction

8. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    The Photostream solution sounds nice. Since I haven't played with it:
    - Are RAW files imported by the camera connection kit automatically uploaded (as they are not placed into the camera role, when I remeber this correctly)
    - What happens with a picture in the photostream when I delet it on the iPad before downloading/syncing it on my Mac?
    - How is the speed of the iCloud service for larger amounts of data?

As for the Mac/Lightroom sync, I found this discussion on the web:
    Lightroom iCloud Photostream integration

9. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    The Chromebook sounds nice. However, this would require me to bring the Chromebook, an external harddrive and powersupply. Very similiar to the jailbreak and external disk solution from dafloyd. In the end this would be very close to bringing my notebook. :frown:

10. dafloyd

dafloyd Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2013
    Munich, Germany
    Dirk Essl
    Just forget the whole online backup thing when you are travelling. As you need to rely on someone elses internet connection. You never know its speed, or if it is available at all.
    You could also buy an imagetank which accepts sd cards and copies the pictures to its internal harddrive. The footprint with an imagetank would be the smallest, followed bymy solution. My USB hub is as big as a zippo lighter, the harddrive is a small WD passport, cables and ipad powersuply are with me anyways. And I guess it is also the cheapest and most flexible option.
    Photostream will not copy raw images by the way.

11. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Photostream does copy raw files as long as you shoot RAW only. If you shoot raw+jpeg it will only copy the jpeg over. This has been my experience when shooting in those 2 configurations.

I do have to agree on the wifi comment. You never know what the speeds are at some of these free or paid wifi hotspots. The small hard drive with SD/CF reader might be your smallest solution. I have a friend that used one on his recent cruise from Spain. Along with extra memory cards he was good to go.

12. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes Raws are imported as long as it is RAW Only and not RAW+jpg. When you import from the camera connection kit, the files go into the last import folder. There is a small selection of file types that can be saved in the camera roll. The orf file format is not one if them. Plus the way the camera kit works is that it puts the new image files in the last import folder.

With photostream everything depends on speed of your connection. If its a slow connection then it will take longer. I'd say don't delete until you have too.

So far in places I have visited I have not had an issue with speed of the transfer. I have not really measured how long files take to transfer over. If you are uploading nightly then it won't take as long as dumping a 32gb card on an iPad. I don't recommend that.

Thx