Ipad + CC Kit...my quick review

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by swampduck, Jun 18, 2013.

1. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    I know this has been touched on before, but after reading the threads here about it, I decided to try.

I have a Gen 2 Ipad, and I bought a third party CC Kit for about $9. When I am out of town is when it becomes most convenient. When I am kicking back in the evening I just plug in and look at my days images. The Ipad will import the raw files and allows me to manipulate the .jpg. The .jpg is of course just what is embedded in the raw file so you can see the image in review, so the Ipad isn't actually converting anything.

I then use Snapseed to do quick edits to pictures I want to quickly share and upload to forums or Flickr.

I don't use a program that allows me to do anything that will translate to LR4. I know about Photosmith, but some reviews have got me a bit wary to shell out $20. Since this is still a quick and easy method of image review, I haven't made a real investment into this yet.

It is so much more convenient than carrying around my laptop.
    I have a 17" HD Dell. Great laptop, but as a desktop replacement, to heavy to haul. For heavy duty PP, or for images that I plan to print, I will wait and do them in LR4 and Topaz once I get home.

Anyway, that is just my .02
  2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Well I have used 'photosmith' for a year and to be honest some of the cautionary tales about the App are true. It has historically been very prone to 'freezes' and 'crashes'.

Last week however they launched a whole new version of the App - Photosmith 3. Since then I havent had any crashes or freezes. Its functionality is incredibly impressive. Perhaps I should warn that I havent tested the new version rigorously so we will have to see.

I use the Photosmith App together with an eye-fi card that downloads jpeg from a 'RAW + jpeg' shoot and then syncs the metadata via wifi to the RAW in LR on my PC.

Photosmith – your photography workflow, mobile