1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

iPad app. Images show as broken links

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by m1pui, Jan 15, 2012.

1. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I'm not sure if this is a forum feature or something on the settings I've missed, but how come all images in threads, when viewed on the iPad app, appear as broken links or just HTML links? If I click on either, they take me to the image but is it possible for them to show as they would in the browser version?

I've took a screenshot and attempted to add it to this post via my iPad so hopefully you'll see what I mean.

I've tried disabling the "remote thumbnail" option, I think it's called, but that hasn't made any difference.

Thanks
    Pui

Attached Files:

2. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    it's also the same with the iphone4s im using right now as well...

3. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    same with me on the ipad-- not always, but usually, and much more often than on previous versions

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    On my iPod even if they show as broken, if I tap it loads the the image.

Fred

5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Same on my iPad.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Is this after an upgrade to the iPad/iPhone app version?

7. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I can't specifically say how long it's been like this, as I usually forget I have the app, so it's been a few months since I accessed it through anything other than safari, but images did definitely work in the past.

If I go through safari or another browser on my iPad, they are and have always been as they should be. It's only through the app they show like that.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think it depends on whether the images are attachments or embedded and hosted elsewhere.

I'm considering a switch to a Tapatalk-based app for the forum. Tapatalk does a better job showing the images and also supports the Thanks button.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

9. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    That does make sense. The screenshot I posted as a forum attachment shows a preview which I can click on, it's only the flickr/hosted ones that are problematic.

10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It wasn't always like this, but I'm not sure when the change happened. Flickr images have always been challenging.

Also, I'm using it on an iPod so I don't look at image threads a lot. I wait until I'm on a bigger screen.

Fred

11. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    a couple of weeks ago, the app was reinstalled (an update was available) and then it became like this.

another really annoying thing is when (i disabled 3g to save money on data) i access the app when i dont have a working wifi connection, and it gets stuck on a error screen saying there is no connection, but later when i do have a working connection i open the app again and the blacked out screen is there (from the error) i literally have to restart my iphone to get the app to work again. (with the proper screen)

12. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Good idea! I'm already using Tapatalk to access this forum from my iPhone and iPad. Tried the Mu-43 app, but wasn't overly impressed. Not that it was bad, it just didn't do anything that Tapatalk didn't already do, so why use a separate app?