iPad and camera bag

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by designguy78, Apr 1, 2011.

1. designguy78

designguy78 New to Mu-43

Mar 25, 2011
    So I had a hell of a time finding reviews about bags that work for carrying the iPad and a camera. I finally, after much (and I mean much) research I decided to buy Pacsafe's Metrosafe 200.

Here's my quick review.

It fits my iPad in the apple iPad case just barely, a tiny bit too snug, but workable. My Olympus Pen E-PL1 with the kit 14-42 lens fits nicely. I don't have other lenses, but I'd say it would fit at least 1 larger telephoto and another of the same size easily.

I have the smaller pocket filled with a small moleskin notebook and pens.

Some reviews of the bag I read said the bottle holder pockets on the sides were too small to carry a bottle, they're 100% wrong. The pockets have snaps that make them larger. While you can't carry, say, a Vitamin Water bottle, you CAN carry the small water bottles you find in any convenience store.

It's not padded, per se, and I thought I would buy some inserts, but honestly it feels solid enough that I haven't bothered to do that.

Overall I like the bag. I wish it was just a hair larger, as the iPad, as stated earlier, is a tiny bit too snug. I find my self having to take the camera out to put the iPad back in. I tried it without the case and it was a breeze, but then I worry about the screen with the camera bumping into it in there.

On a side note, I kept reading that Lowepro's Passport Sling would carry a camera and an iPad and I guess that may be technically correct...but you have to take out all the inserts to do it, then you're stuck with a flimsy bag with no support.

So if anyone else is looking for a smaller day bag to use with their iPad and Pen system, this is a good way to go.

If you need to carry much more than the camera and iPad, plus smaller items, then you may want to look for something larger.

• Like Like x 1
  2. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Had I known you were considering a Metrosafe 200, I'd have told you that it was just a tidge too small. You certainly can carry a ยต4/3 camera in it along with an iPad, but you can't have the lens on (not even on the 20mm).

I came across my brown one, which I've barely used, and looked at some of the other purple bags they have, and remembered I don't like brown. I should probably sell it or something. Very nicely made and feels very secure.

The Citysafe 200 makes a better camera bag (with iPad), but I have a tan one of those. Hate the color, probably should part with it, too.

3. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    Oh, I'll also let you know how my new Artisan & Artist bag works for that. Spendy bag, but pretty.

4. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I like Derricks Story's Digital Story Podcast and his MacWorld articles. I spoke with him at PhotoPlus last fall after the new MacBook Airs were released. The 160 AW is a good option. I use a Think Tank Urban Disguise 35V2.0 I carried a 5DMKII, EPL2 and GF1 in it along with an iPad and 13" MacBook Air. It has a rear panel that can be used to slide over a rolling bag.
    Urban Disguise 35 V2.0

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Tenba mini-messenger fits iPad nicely, but might be a bit bigger than you're looking for, as it can easily carry 2 bodies (with lenses) plus another 2 or 3 lenses

6. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    designguy - do you have any pictures of the metrosafe 200? it'd be great if you had one with all your gear inside, including the ipad, to get a sense of the bag's layout capacity.

i recently picked up the lowepro sling you mention and, despite its small size, i find it comfortably carries my GF1 (with a 20/1.7), a GH2 (with a 14-140), and one additional spare lens - all in the 2 compartment padded side of the bag. i then place the ipad and a pair of headphones in the "open" other side of the bag. i have to unzip the open side to find enough space for the ipad but it all fits in there, including room for an iphone and a snack bar. i'll try and post a picture of how everything fits later today.

anyways, not to thread hijack - i'm certainly glad you found a bag that works for you. look forward to seeing some pictures.

Andrew.

7. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    here's a quick snap of the lowepro sling - very compact in a slightly more triangular shape than most bags. it doesn't have a dedicated sleeve area for the ipad but it does slide into the "flimsy" area just fine.

LowePassport.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    i'm having the same dilemma on which bag to get. anyone try the crumpler 4 million? would that fit an ipad and e-pl2 and maybe one prime lens? i'm pretty sure the 5 million will fit it, but it looked too big to me.

9. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    I haven't listed this on this site's FS because it's not really technically photo gear, but I did put it on my web site with a photo of the iPad inside. If you want more photos, I can do it by tomorrow but after that I'm gone for a couple of weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  10. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
  11. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    Oooh. Nice. A+A's are some of the nicest looking bags around.

12. designguy78

designguy78 New to Mu-43

Mar 25, 2011
    Here's a pic of the Metrosafe 200 full, and a pic of everything I have in it. Since I posted this I got an adapter for my old Minolta lenses. Here's a list of everything I carry: My iPad in the case, my E-PL1 with the kit 14-42mm lens, MD-m4/3 adapter, Osawa 28mm lens, Sigma 135mm lens, small Moleskin notebook, a few pens, iPad camera adapter and extra SD cards. It all fits, but snugly. I'm thinking of moving up to the Metrosafe 300, though I do like the Domke F-803. Yeah, the A+A bag is nice, but it's WAY out of my price range...the Domke is pushing it actually.

photo1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

photo | Flickr - Photo Sharing!