1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

iPad and camera bag

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by designguy78, Apr 1, 2011.

1. designguy78

designguy78 New to Mu-43

Mar 25, 2011
    So I had a hell of a time finding reviews about bags that work for carrying the iPad and a camera. I finally, after much (and I mean much) research I decided to buy Pacsafe's Metrosafe 200.

Here's my quick review.

It fits my iPad in the apple iPad case just barely, a tiny bit too snug, but workable. My Olympus Pen E-PL1 with the kit 14-42 lens fits nicely. I don't have other lenses, but I'd say it would fit at least 1 larger telephoto and another of the same size easily.

I have the smaller pocket filled with a small moleskin notebook and pens.

Some reviews of the bag I read said the bottle holder pockets on the sides were too small to carry a bottle, they're 100% wrong. The pockets have snaps that make them larger. While you can't carry, say, a Vitamin Water bottle, you CAN carry the small water bottles you find in any convenience store.

It's not padded, per se, and I thought I would buy some inserts, but honestly it feels solid enough that I haven't bothered to do that.

Overall I like the bag. I wish it was just a hair larger, as the iPad, as stated earlier, is a tiny bit too snug. I find my self having to take the camera out to put the iPad back in. I tried it without the case and it was a breeze, but then I worry about the screen with the camera bumping into it in there.

On a side note, I kept reading that Lowepro's Passport Sling would carry a camera and an iPad and I guess that may be technically correct...but you have to take out all the inserts to do it, then you're stuck with a flimsy bag with no support.

So if anyone else is looking for a smaller day bag to use with their iPad and Pen system, this is a good way to go.

If you need to carry much more than the camera and iPad, plus smaller items, then you may want to look for something larger.

• Like Like x 1
  2. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Had I known you were considering a Metrosafe 200, I'd have told you that it was just a tidge too small. You certainly can carry a µ4/3 camera in it along with an iPad, but you can't have the lens on (not even on the 20mm).

I came across my brown one, which I've barely used, and looked at some of the other purple bags they have, and remembered I don't like brown. I should probably sell it or something. Very nicely made and feels very secure.

The Citysafe 200 makes a better camera bag (with iPad), but I have a tan one of those. Hate the color, probably should part with it, too.

3. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    Oh, I'll also let you know how my new Artisan & Artist bag works for that. Spendy bag, but pretty.

4. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I like Derricks Story's Digital Story Podcast and his MacWorld articles. I spoke with him at PhotoPlus last fall after the new MacBook Airs were released. The 160 AW is a good option. I use a Think Tank Urban Disguise 35V2.0 I carried a 5DMKII, EPL2 and GF1 in it along with an iPad and 13" MacBook Air. It has a rear panel that can be used to slide over a rolling bag.
    Urban Disguise 35 V2.0

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Tenba mini-messenger fits iPad nicely, but might be a bit bigger than you're looking for, as it can easily carry 2 bodies (with lenses) plus another 2 or 3 lenses

6. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    designguy - do you have any pictures of the metrosafe 200? it'd be great if you had one with all your gear inside, including the ipad, to get a sense of the bag's layout capacity.

i recently picked up the lowepro sling you mention and, despite its small size, i find it comfortably carries my GF1 (with a 20/1.7), a GH2 (with a 14-140), and one additional spare lens - all in the 2 compartment padded side of the bag. i then place the ipad and a pair of headphones in the "open" other side of the bag. i have to unzip the open side to find enough space for the ipad but it all fits in there, including room for an iphone and a snack bar. i'll try and post a picture of how everything fits later today.

anyways, not to thread hijack - i'm certainly glad you found a bag that works for you. look forward to seeing some pictures.

Andrew.

7. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    here's a quick snap of the lowepro sling - very compact in a slightly more triangular shape than most bags. it doesn't have a dedicated sleeve area for the ipad but it does slide into the "flimsy" area just fine.

LowePassport.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    i'm having the same dilemma on which bag to get. anyone try the crumpler 4 million? would that fit an ipad and e-pl2 and maybe one prime lens? i'm pretty sure the 5 million will fit it, but it looked too big to me.

9. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    I haven't listed this on this site's FS because it's not really technically photo gear, but I did put it on my web site with a photo of the iPad inside. If you want more photos, I can do it by tomorrow but after that I'm gone for a couple of weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  10. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
  11. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    Oooh. Nice. A+A's are some of the nicest looking bags around.

12. designguy78

designguy78 New to Mu-43

Mar 25, 2011
    Here's a pic of the Metrosafe 200 full, and a pic of everything I have in it. Since I posted this I got an adapter for my old Minolta lenses. Here's a list of everything I carry: My iPad in the case, my E-PL1 with the kit 14-42mm lens, MD-m4/3 adapter, Osawa 28mm lens, Sigma 135mm lens, small Moleskin notebook, a few pens, iPad camera adapter and extra SD cards. It all fits, but snugly. I'm thinking of moving up to the Metrosafe 300, though I do like the Domke F-803. Yeah, the A+A bag is nice, but it's WAY out of my price range...the Domke is pushing it actually.

photo1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

photo | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.