1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

iOS 9 upgrade

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Speedliner, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    upgraded three devices and no problems. Took 20 minutes or so each, but no problems. As for new features...nice but nothing special...EXCEPT for improved battery life. Waiting to see how that improves for my iPhone which is mediocre at best.

So just FYI. If you're thinking of the upgrade, it has been very easy so far. Backup first as you should always have a fresh way back in any upgrade for any device.

2. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Easy upgrade for me, too. I had read that the device will be slow at first due to indexing. I just set it up to upgrade and let it sit while I was working.

I really like the new system font - attractive and highly legible to my 40-something eyes. looking forward to the battery life improvements. It is running fine on my iPad 4th gen. I am still exploring the new features.

3. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    The Mail app stopped retrieving emails on two iPhones I updated (a 6 Plus and a 5S). Deleting the Gmail account in the Mail app and creating a new one solved the problem.

The new app switcher stutters a little on the 6 Plus, but I expect it will get smoother with later iOS 9 updates.

4. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    So far I'm really enjoying the "Back to..." feature. And they put back the ability to shuffle an artist's music--that feature was lost with the 8.4.1 update, which prompted me to start looking at Android phones. :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  5. sriracha

sriracha ballistic photons

Jan 22, 2011
    updated on iPad mini 2 and iPhone 6... no issues. i'm liking the slide over view on the mini

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  6. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    "Back-to" is the best feature in this patch I've come by so far.
    And Siri is finally in my native language. :)

7. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    Has anyone been able to copy the BB code from Flickr since upgrading ? The single tap still makes the link flash grey but then I can't copy it anymore

8. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    No, not in the new Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 either.

9. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I had trouble with this in ios8. Haven't tried in ios9 yet

10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I am glad to hear that your upgrade went smoothly. I upgraded two iPad2's over Labor Day weekend. The incremental update in iOS 8 went smoothly with one tablet, but the upgrade from iOS7 to iOS8 was a total disaster on the other. The unit completely locked up and required tethering to a machine with iTunes. I do not have iTunes on any of my current machines (nor did I want to install it to correct this one issue), so I ended up borrowing a friends machine. My previous Apple updates have gone smoothly, but this OTA update was a complete disaster. Even the Apple tech support guy was a bit stumped. iPads are supposed to be completely OTA, so I am not sure what somebody is supposed to do if they do not have easy access to a machine or an Apple store. Apple offered me an appointment at the Genius Bar (but could not guarantee it would be free), but the earliest they could get an appointment for me was in three days. Even my nephew who is an engineer at Apple was a bit disappointed with this issue. You win some, you lose some.

--Ken

11. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Always have a way back - first lesson I learned on my first IT job. So I always back up to a PC first.

12. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have the tablet backed up to iCloud, but I am not really interested in installing iTunes on my PC. Unless you use it (and I do not), it is a somewhat invasive piece of software (or should I say suite of software), and it is not easy to fully remove form a machine. Even my nephew agreed and did not encourage me to do a restore point, install and then remove. But I do agree that information should be properly backed up.

--Ken

P.S. Thankfully, while the machine was locked up, it did properly install the new iOS when tethered, as opposed to reverting to restore mode.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1