iOS 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Biro, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I updated my iPad to iOS 7 last night and it works fine. Took a few hours, probably because Apple's servers are backed up with all the people upgrading. While iOS 7 works well even on my iPad 2 (the earliest generation that will
    work with iOS 7), I'm not impressed. Frankly, it's kind of boring. The app icons are kind of plain, there's too much white on every browser page and the font and control icons are not nearly as bold and easily viewable as before. What's more, some functions have been moved around to no apparent advantage. I don't mind change but not for its own sake. This has the look of a product that was brought out just for the sake of change because most of the youngsters in the target market were getting bored. I haven't updated my iPhone 4s yet. I probably will since I now have it on the iPad and there are a few functional advantages (which no doubt could have been rolled out without a new OS). But that's just me. Anyone else have some thoughts to offer?
  2. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    It seems to run slower on my 4S and on my iPad 3. Scrolling pages on the iPad 3 stalls out quite frequently. I'm not exactly thrilled with it myself.
  3. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Apple does a great job of slowing down older hardware with updates. Drives sales towards new devices. Quite the marketing machine. I'm on 6.1 for my phone and I went Android for my last tablet. The price premium for the tablets is just too high.
  4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    My final thoughts on iOS7 will be a quote from user mcdj on the Mac Rumors forum:

"iOS before 7 was the epitome of great design. Great design is design you barely notice. It stays out of your way. iOS7 requires considerable thought in many places. It requires squinting. It requires forgetting old habits from prior versions and relearning. iOS7 feels completely off message. Some love the new message, some hate it, but it's an undeniably new animal, and as with anything radically new, there will be haters. Some haters will get used to the new beast, but some may very well may drop iOS and Apple altogether, since many people's entire relationship with Apple is based solely on iOS devices... Where iOS inspired near universal love before 7, iOS7 elicits `cool'. It is cool in many ways. But it's a detached cool, bordering on cold and lifeless. For some, this is a minty fresh breath of air. For others, it's alienating and will mean a migration away from iOS."
  5. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    I like the faster camera in iOS 7. And the quick way to screen brightness and Bluetooth.
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I grabbed a Surface RT for $250 with keyboard. I'm curious to see how it goes.
  7. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    I like it. I've been using it since the Gold Master release (registered Apple Developer). There are some things you need to do to get the speed back, like turn off background app refresh, change the location services to only allow apps you frequently use, and turn off Frequent Locations. It also helps to turn on Reduce Motion (gets rid of the parallex motions).

There are some other changes I made, but I can't remember right now. Overall, my experience is that it's running a bit smoother.
  8. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Disclaimer; don't own an iPhone, just have a passing interest in contemporary UI/UX design.

Pretty much all UI design is heading this way, i.e. really uncluttered with flat colours. Microsoft probably got their first with the 'metro' look that now defines all their products, then Google redesigned most of their products along similar paradigms, and now Apple too. They all seem desperate to not be seen as outdated or falling back on real-world visual metaphors, and have spent inordinate amounts of money and time trying to get it right; after all these guidelines are going to affect how millions of people interact with their products. Than my mum get a windows phone and says 'it looks like a toy'. Makes me laugh.
  9. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Oddly nobody has brought up that iOS7 is basically Apple's approach to Microsoft's Metro?

I guess the implementation worked better for the Win8 Tablets and Window Phone than it will for my iPad 1st gen, I'll skip this update else I risk choking my iPad to death.
  10. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    As an Apple user for two decades I learned long ago to steer clear of the newly released hardware and operating systems.
  11. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    That's pretty much true of any tech product, unless you enjoy fixing bugs (and some people do).
  12. stw

stw Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    I installed it on my 4S this Wednesday. I can't help it, I always jump on the new versions right when they come out. I'm not a fan of how it looks, but I do like some of the new things in it. The swipe from bottom to top control screen is great (yeah, Android has had a similar one for awhile now, so it's about time Apple did it). It's nice to be able to toggle wifi/bluetooth/etc, as well as have easy access to flashlight, camera, music right there.

The absolute biggest surprise for me is that my battery life went from mediocre to very good. I did not expect that at all, as I read reports that people say ios7 has totally sucked their battery life even faster than before. Granted, I've only been running it for not quite 2.5 days, but if this holds, I will be VERY pleased.
  13. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2013
    I installed it yesterday on the 4S and iPad 3 and I haven't noticed any speed issues. It actually feels a bit faster. I would rather have less neon colors, but they don't really bother me. I do like the swipe down of the search from any page and the up swipe of the most used utilities. The camera is faster. I like the way it handles tabbed webpages in Safari. I also prefer the way you delete apps you want to close and the fact that "folders" can now hold more than a specified number of apps.

I am just getting used to it, but I am happy with it. Yeah, some of these features were on Cydia years ago, but I don't jailbreak anymore and having them available without a jb is a major plus.

I think Apple needed to refresh the iOS. Yeah, it pays unintentional homage to Win8, but it doesn't hurt my feelings.
  14. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    My iPad3 and iPhone4S are still running 5.1.1 with no plan whatsoever to iPhone5 is running 6.1.4 with no plan to upgrade...guarantee: iOS7.0 will have more bugs in it than my first apartment on West 110th Street, NYC. :smile:
  15. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    My wife and son updated their devices, and I haven't done my phone yet. The thing that got me was the icons went from high end 3-D looking buttons before to ugly cheap cartoons now. I guess this may simplify processing to speed things up, but it just looks cheap to me.
  16. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    The only reason I upgraded was the photo's..
  17. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    But that is the way to go right? I mean, future updates will be based on the ios7.
  18. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    There is more to it than just ugly icons and hidden tweaks. Try out the new Accessibility features. iOS 7 is a lot more mass friendly than any other iOS versions. The icons are this way because they will look the same in every scenario and they are easily recognizable on another iOS device even if they're running in high contrast, etc.

I have noticed the new camera app is great on 4S and 5. The aspect ratio is maintained during capture in full unlike before where there is some cropped pixels that you notice afterwards. This is hard to recognize without comparing a 3.5" screen next to a 4" screen though. If you have that luxury, it'll be instantly obvious.

The new font is just standardizing Helvetica Neue. Like Android has done with Roboto and Nokia with their font, as opposed to have 3 different ones through out the OS. Neue was already in use before, it is now more prevalent. Fonts are personal choices though, so you might not like this Swiss classic.

I wish Notifications were better with this release. I still don't like how certain apps aren't updating notifications properly. It's really annoying as they are not showing the same coherent behaviours. Some are great, while others are awful. Instagram just refuses to update properly while its parent Facebook works great.
  19. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2013
    Changing to a dark wallpaper has gotten rid of the neon colors. I now have a black and gray wallpaper and prefer the look to what I had with an ocean blue background.
  20. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Well, after a full day of iOS 7 on both my iPad 2 and iPhone 4s, I can say that the new OS is working fine. But I'm still generally not impressed with the formating, graphics and UI. Psrhaps i'm just a spoiled Mac brat.

I changed the font to "bold," which helped quite a bit. I also turned on "reduce motion" to save on battery life a bit and I'm thinking about using "increase contrast," to cut down on some of the fancy translucent graphics and save more battery life. But I'm undecided. Maybe I'll do that on the phone, where one can't see the graphics as much on the smaller screen and battery life is more critical.

But I can say iOS 7 seems to work well enough on both the iPad 2 and iPhone 4s, if anyone here is concerned about that. I understand that the new OS will also work on the regular iPhone 4 but not quite as smoothly.