1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ioptron Skytracker for sale

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by georgian82, May 25, 2016.

1. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
  2. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Man, just bought a brand new one last week....

What are you getting as a replacement?

3. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    From his listing linked in the first post...

4. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Sorry for the late reply...Yes, I upgraded to a used Astrotrac since I really want to be shooting close to 200mm focal length and the Skytracker is not designed for that.

I contemplated also getting a Fornax lightrack II which is even more accurate than the Astrotrac but I don't have the money to afford it at this point and because is a relatively new product there are non used out there...

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

5. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    I wish you had seen my classified sooner!

I liked the Skytracker for its simplicity which I think you will really appreciate. I could be fully setup and taking pictures in less than 15 minutes which was awesome. But I really want to push it a bit further and I think the Astrotrac is the obvious choice and I was lucky enough to find a used one for a reasonable price.

One more thing...Ioptron says that their polar scopes come factory collimated, however that is not always the case (like mine). I would suggest checking yours when you get it to make sure is collimated properly, otherwise you will be wasting your time.

Good luck with the Skytracker! Make sure to download the polar alignment app which is awesome.

Cheers!