1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

invest in sony a6000 or not? really impressive shutter lag and af but expensive lenses

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by jyc860923, Jul 6, 2014.

1. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    as in the title said, after trying a sony a6000 with 16-70 f/4, I've found that the AF and shutter lag (electronic first curtain) is quite impressive for shooting moving subjects, but supposedly I won't be able to build my lens line up as cheap and excellent as I have with m43, any experience from sony shooters? I think the days NEX suffers from slow AF are far behind but they still need more affordable good lenses, or will adapted SLT lenses AF fast on the a6000?

2. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I'm not a sony user but I'm currently on the same boat as you. I was just at a sony center and two other electronics stores here in HK looking for a NEX-6 which has now been discontinued so I'm hoping to get a good price. I did get to try the a6000 since nobody stocks the nex-6 anymore. I tried it both indoor with dim light and outdoors as well when the sales guy from another shop let me shoot out the door of their store.
    Having experienced the older NEX 3 and 5 models I was impressed at the AF speed of the camera. It's still noticeably slower in bright light than a M4/3 model and a third of the time it was not able to focus right away in the dimly lit Sony store I was at, but when it was able to focus it was quick.

Although the AF speeds are still not close to the Pana or Oly bodies I'm no longer bothered about the AF speeds of these models, what concerns me still about the Sony mirrorless cams is the confusing menu structure and sluggish start up times with the electronic lenses.

Btw, what made you consider the NEX range instead of the GX-7?

3. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    Guys
    I have had most NEX models and i loved them all apart from the lack of lenses(period) I wasted too much money on this system and feel the only lens that was consistantly great was the sigma 30mm (non art) for the money i wasnt happy with either carl zeiss options i purchased.
    BTW my nex 3n and nex6 both had lots of glitches(many back to factory resets!!!) I loved the nex 7 which was faultless but inc sony a adapter or any lens on it it just felt cold and un emotional (like a computer)
    TRY before you buy!!

4. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi and thanks for sharing your experience. I think the biggest problem of Sony is the lens as we all know, and after thorough consideration I'm not going to invest in Sony any time soon. I don't think the a6000 AFs any slower or inaccurate with that 16-70 f/4 lens but your comment is helpful to let me know a6000 could be slow sometimes too.

I'd rather buy a G6 than to buy a GX7 for better price and EVF, but G6 has an old sensor, I'm aware that Panasonic AF is always better than Oly's though, I used to own a GF3.

5. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi Scott, have you got the chance to try using adapted SLT camera lenses on NEX and if so what is it like?

6. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    Yes ,i tried a couple of lenses from a mount. DT16-105 AND DT 55-300..wasnt quick as M4/3 and a little slower than standard e mount....pic quality is however superb and nex 6 / 7 is a step above any M4/3...but for me colours and lens choice not enough to keep me with NEX
    Another point focus peaking is wayyyy better than oly /panny so some vintage lenses are fanatstic on nex.
    i am lazy and prefer autofocus . But i haven't tried newer a6000 and i too would have been interested if better lenses were available...using slt adapter in my opinion makes little sense (size added)when i might aswell then get a a77 or equiv SLT.

• Like Like x 1
  7. lightning

lightning Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Kerava, Finland
    I don't see the G6's "old" sensor as an issue. I haven't miss any of my photos because of the sensor, its really good and real world difference is smaller than what it looks like on paper. Sensor is anyway better than me :D

What comes to A6000 it felt really difficult to use if comparing to G6. For example to set the focus point was behind two or three button and as far as i know, you cant even program it to any FN button etc. Over all it just feels too messy for my taste. I considered A6000 for the same reasons; impressive auto focus for fast moving subjects. But the fact that at least in Finland, its really hard to find any good glasses to Sony, e.g. you cant buy at the moment Zeiss 16-70 or 24mm anywhere in Finland.

So i decided to stay Panny: better and easier usability, quick auto focus, cheaper and better lenses etc... (ok P12-35 isn't cheap, but stays still in the same price range than Zeiss 16-70 F4 and is still 1 stop faster)

• Like Like x 1
  8. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    HI, I meant to mention the lenses earlier but forgot... I was mostly comparing it to the M43's when I pointed out the speed, but on it's own I wouldn't call it slow at all and it's no longer a dealbreaker like it was for me a few years ago looking into the older Nex models.

I've only just started looking into this yesterday so my current info is limited but I'm not too thrilled about the 1650 lens reviews from sites and other users as well. The level of vignetting and distortion at the wider range seems well below par for a lens of this price even if it is really compact and well made.
    The lack of options is a downer, there aren't that many to begin with and the optical quality doesn't seem to be anything special with most of them in the range. Add to that the pricing and confusing nomenclature for their camera systems and it's not the most attractive package for someone already invested in another system. It's a shame because the newer NEX bodies or whatever they're called these days, seem to be quite a good package. If my vision wasn't going so quickly I would consider one to use with my old Nikon lenses.

This recent research I've been doing into the Sony mirrorless cams has made me want to get a GX7, and maybe I will when the prices drop a bit more but for now I'm perfectly happy with my GF3 and the lenses I have.

• Like Like x 1
  9. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I dabbled with a Nex 6 and loved the sensor and viewfinder but not much else. The A6000 was very appealing to me because of the tracking AF but the lens selection is terrible and expensive. They need to partner with one of the aftermarket lens companies to resolve that problem. The menu system can easily be fixed if they apply themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川

Hi Lightning I always remember your G5/6 dog photos, they are fantastic examples of what the Lumix bodies these days are capable of in terms of AF and image quality. I wish I can have the AFF option on my Oly body. Like what you and everybody said, I can't justify purchasing the Sony when actually I can buy a G6 very cheap these days if I want to, was just curious to know exactly how good could the on chip PDAF can be. Other than that, I'm really impressed with how little A6000's shutter lag can be when electronic first curtain is enabled, I thought that could be a great help for us dog lovers:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Rumor has i that Olympus will be announcing a new OMD body at Photokina. You might want to wait and see what that has in store.

• Like Like x 1
  12. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    The A6000 is alluring. But unless one ponies up ~$2000 for the 24mm + 55mm Zeiss primes, or is content with the bulky, slow 18-105mm as the only decent zoom for action shooting, I wouldn't bother. Sony suffers from extreme product ADHD, they are now maintaining no less than 4 formats (APS-C A, FF A, APS-C E, FF E) and considering a medium-format venture... Dear god. I'd rather wait a little for the innovation to trickle down to the other camera makers.

• Like Like x 3