Inukshuk

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Arctic Photog, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Arctic Photog

Arctic Photog Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Canada's Arctic
    So I decided to start a new project today.

The Inukshuk... yes the symbol used in the last Olympics. Well in the Arctic they have many uses. They are used as directional markers, good fishing/hunting markers, and used for helping in the caribou hunt.

Here are a few examples that I took this morning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

E-PL1 with 14-42 kit lens

• Like Like x 16
  2. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

Being Canadian, I had to look! Great shots!

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Arctic, this promises to be a very interesting project to watch unfold. Do you often notice new Inukshuks appearing across some of your regular haunts, and have you ever seen one being built?

I like the way you've taken these photos showing how the Inukshuk relates to its surroundings... There's something about that one with the bird resting atop, that keeps bringing me back to it.

Any chance that you might set up a Flickr account for this project and embed here? Just a thought - there are probably others who are interested or would be if given the chance to see the Inukshuk.

4. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    We used to bury dried meat in them for hunters.

Bokeh D

5. Arctic Photog

May 20, 2010
    Canada's Arctic
    ... forgot about that one.

6. Arctic Photog

May 20, 2010
    Canada's Arctic
    BBW, I haven't seen to many being built but new ones do tend to just pop up in places I travel. There are still a lot more that I want to photograph... there is one in particular that I want to photograph. It is quite large as people passing by it have been adding stones to it for several years however it is a 2 hour atv ride across some rough tundra. (if I can find it again)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Arctic Photog

May 20, 2010
    Canada's Arctic
    Here is another Inukshuk that I found by the Char River while we were gathering some fresh drinking water.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. crcal

crcal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2010
    Honolulu, HI
    Nice shots! I've never heard of these before.

9. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

Taken in Banff on Moraine Lake with Oly 9-18mm at 9mm. Tripod was fun to set up on the extremely bumpy ground : )

• Like Like x 4
  10. sparklehorse

sparklehorse Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    Cairns

Here in the Pacific Northwest they're most commonly known as cairns. Here's one sitting on The Plains of Abraham, a large desolate plateau on the east side of Mt. St. Helens:

[​IMG]

When I first hiked here in 1987, seven years after the eruption, this whole area was nothing but ash, sand and pumice. There's sparse patches of vegetation now, but it's still a very strange, austere place.

Gordon

• Like Like x 2
  11. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Great shots you all! I hope you will keep adding photos of these Inukshuk and cairns.

Arctic, lovely deep colors and that sky...

Eric - wow, what a scene!

Gordon, it that your dog on the hike with you, I guess it must be. The view you've given us of Mt. St. Helens seems hopeful with that blue sky and the start of vegetation. Have to ask - was that w/the E-P1?

12. sparklehorse

Apr 4, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    Hi BBW,
    Yes that is my pooch. I took the photo last year, before I had any m4/3 gear. It was taken with my Nikon D80 and a Tamron 11-18mm lens. I hardly use the Nikon anymore, in fact I'll likely sell it soon.

Here's what The Plains of Abraham looked like in 1987, shot on Kodachrome 64 with a Nikon FA (no cairns back then):

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  13. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    artic circle trail

one taken on the artic circle trail last summer, i was using an olympus E420 +14-42.
    ( i bought it in 2008 because it was the lightest dslr back then )

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  14. Muggie

Muggie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Ditto! Love the last two photos! :thumbup:

15. dennx

dennx Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2010
    • Like Like x 2
  16. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

wow thanks for sharing :) I'm always interested in discovering and seeing different parts of the world, and the differences in peoples lives and culture and your photos have helped me to do that from the comfort of my own seat :tongue: thank you :thumbup:

17. sparklehorse

Apr 4, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    An inukshuk/cairn I saw yesterday on Mt. Hood, with Mt. Rainer and Mt. Adams in the distance:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    Bate Island, Ottawa

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/24032450@N05/4912125790/" title="Inukshuk, Bate Island Ottawa by daimosz, on Flickr">[​IMG]"640" height="428" alt="Inukshuk, Bate Island Ottawa" /></a>

• Like Like x 2