Intuos 5 vs 4 or other comparable tablet

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by wildrob, Jan 16, 2014.

1. wildrob

wildrob New to Mu-43

Nov 4, 2013
    Hey, I broke down and cancelled my Wall Street Journal subscription and deferred the subscription fees to a Photoshop CC subscription. So far, I'm having a blast (much more opportunity than just using Lightroom). I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using a drawing tablet for post-production of photos. And, if so, what are your recommendations? Small vs Medium or Large? Brand? Wireless? Ease of use?

I haven't the slightest idea what it will be like drawing on something while looking at the computer screen.

2. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Any Wacom model will be fine for photo PP. Get whichever one suits your budget. Personally, I'm amazed at their durability. My first Wacom tablet was a first gen Bamboo I bought refurbished for $50. 6 years later, it's still going strong, in the hands of a friend I've lent it to who uses it daily for illustration. And I swear there is no difference in precision between it and the Intuos 4 Small I bought to replace it...

If you'd like to look at another brand, Monoprice tablets are surprisingly competitive quality wise with the larger Intuos models, and VERY inexpensive. See this review by a professional cartoonist: http://frenden.com/post/31659364200/the-little-monoprice-graphics-tablet-that-could

3. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    I can only use pros ? like the feel and sensitivity better ? I can tell the difference but I might be a exception since I use it so much and for so long its small things that make it nicer the first two bamboo never did it for me tried em just not for me ? again not saying they are bad just not for me doing it for a living on it day after day same with wife she did not like the early bamboos ?
    since others do its for sure a personal choice thing :)

I use a medium myself my wife uses a med but could use a small since she uses part of it :) but she uses hers about 8-10 hours a day

I retouch a few (3-4) hours a day and some other post work as I have a post production company so I tend to use my tablet and a special Xkeys I use for PS and LR work and a mouse and sometimes a pad just to break up and try to save my from CTS

but I am still on a old 3 but want the latest one soon :) since I am running out of nibs maybe a good time to start over ;) hahahahha

4. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Indeed, I've heard that the Intuos Medium models are a cut above the small models (both Bamboo and Intuos small) in precision. But between the Intuos Small and Bamboo I've noticed little difference in precision in spite of the claimed numbers, though the build of all Intuos is markedly better; IMO both the Monoprice tablet and the non-pro models are a better buy than the Intuos Small.

5. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I like the intuos5. The multi touch support really made the deal for me. I used to hate the tablets when I tried out a intuos3 a ways back. Now with the 5 all I could ask for is some voice commands, and it would be the only input I would want. I have a medium and it seems quite large to me, I would probably get the small if I had to buy it again.

6. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I'm about to buy the Intuos Small. But is it worth paying extra for the "touch" version?

7. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Yes I think the touch is worth the extra money. I recently bought one and am liking it :)

8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The downside to the touch is you can't replace the surface once it's worn out, the normal non touch version you can peal the top off and put a new surface on. You can put the normal one over the touch, however you lose the touch ability and it won't be as smooth.

It's not really an issue if you don't plan on wearing the surface out though...

9. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Thanks both. I shan't be a heavy user. (probably)

What actual benefits does touch have though?

10. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
  11. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Thanks. But no thanks. There is no maker name, so I can't buy it near me. And I'll pick one that I know runs on Kubuntu.

12. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I have an older Bamboo Fun that I use for work (graphic artist), it has held up well for years. It has the touch function, however I've disabled it, made me crazy the way it interferes with the pen. I'm getting ready to purchase the Intuos Pen Small for home use . . . without the touch function. Waste of money in my opinion.

13. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Aye. Supposedly the monoprice drivers are better on Macs than Wacom's, too.

14. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    In my mind mainly the touch function provides convenience and efficiency when working. For example, when Im working on a portrait retouch its so easy for me to lift my pen off and then quickly just zoom in with my fingers and then when Im done with that area quickly zoom out the same way. The touch function can almost in a way provide an extra hot key in certain situations.

15. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I use a large Intuos tablet. The biggest part of the learning curve for me was getting use to the amount of arm movement needed due to the one to one screen mapping on the tablet. I still use a track ball for general screen navigation. The graphic is only used for image PP. I find the wireless option to be handy at times but not a necessity. The precision achievable with the tablet and the natural feel of "drawing" is still amazing to me. If you have issues with elbow/shoulder pain I would recommend getting a smaller size.

Mike

16. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I like the touch (wacom5) as that allows me to "turn the paper" like I do when I naturally write or draw. It provides less of a reason to break contact and go to the mouse, for ease of use. and some of the touch, swipe, multi touch functions are fantastic. Before when I tried the 3, I felt limited by having to swap back and forth mentally to keyboard and mouse control, to stylus only.

17. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I have a huion H610 which i ordered from a German ebay store (no hassles with duties and shipping); for the price it's perfect. There are some good reviews online.

18. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

A bit off topic, but a good resource for tablet pc would be tabletpcreview forums. There are a few Wacom tablet users there(most doing drawing and 3D work), but they know a lot of things about it.

Personally, I may go for a ThinkPad 10 tablet for my photo needs, but the fact that it only has a USB2 port(that is limited on what it can power) is a bit of a turn off, and has me looking at other models, like the HP 1000, but that's no Wacom based, and most of the users are using it for notes not Photoshop work. I would get something like Intuos, but I prefer a portable tablet.

19. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Thanks all. I'm ordering a touch version. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Now I have the touch version I have found a couple of problems with the touch.
    1) The 2 finger scroll and zoom is reversed. The reverse option in settings does not seem to have any effect. Other seem to have the same problem. I can't use that until I work out how to un-reverse it.
    2) The cat can now operate the computer. He sits on the tablet on the desk purring, and things happen on the screen. .Hmmm.