Introductory greetings from Scotland.

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Itchybiscuit, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Hello all,

I used to shoot with mostly b&w film back in the day, developed and printed my own film too. I have an Oly OM10, a Ricoh KR10 Super and a Pentax MZ-7. Nothing special really but adequate for my modest requirements.

I started on this digital road a couple of years ago after a long hiatus with a Panasonic FZ8, graduated to a FZ38 then on to a FZ50. I needed a wee bit more control so picked up a GF1 followed by a Sigma DP1 and a couple of days ago a GF5. That's where I am right now - lots to learn anew at 51 but willing to listen and take advice when it's given. Just in case anyone was wondering why the older technology, it's purely a budget thing - had a heart attack earlier this year and had to leave my job. The photography keeps me going and active.

It's good to be here...

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum. I still use an E-P3, also for budget reasons. Oddly, it still takes great photos! :rolleyes: :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Ahh, I remember being a young lad of 51. No worries, you'll soon catch on :wink:.

I started in on digital at the tender age of 57 and in only a few short years I've learned to take the same low quality, out of focus, indeterminable subject photos that I took for 40 years using slide film :2thumbs:.

Welcome aboard! There's a wealth of folks herein that can answer most any digital photography question. (And then..there's me.)

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 2
  4. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Welcome Itchybiscuit!

It's great to have you here!

Cheers-

Wes

• Like Like x 1
  5. dmc

dmc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2011
    Beijing
    Welcome. I love the GF 1 and still use mine daily. It does everything the GX 7 does, but less expensive. And I've never dropped it in the Haggis!

• Like Like x 1
  6. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    I own a GF3 myself. The Lumix bodies are all terrific, and the 'older technology' is just as capable of producing breathtaking images :) Welcome, and I hope you enjoy shooting Micro Four Thirds as much as we all do!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Well, that was a nice warm welcome - I appreciate it. I posted a couple or three snaps over in the GF1 gallery. I was out for a walk and shot them about half a mile from my home. I live a stones throw from the Clyde on the south bank.

I'm using a 14-42 first gen lens on my GF1 but don't yet have a lens for the GF5. I ordered a PK-M4/3 adapter as I have a few Rikkonen lenses and a nice 80-200mm Soligor (Tokina). I impulse bought a Sigma 24mm AF super wide so am thinking of either getting an adapter or trading it for a lumix lens.

I'm glad I joined so I could waffle on about these things.

• Like Like x 2
  8. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Waffle away to your hearts content - I do!!

Playing with adaptors and legacy lenses can be fun . My OM 50 f1.8 and Tamron AD2 90mm f2.5 work particularly well.

9. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    Being new here myself, I was perusing this thread and noticed your introduction. Even though a bit belated, as a fellow(native) Glaswegian, I want to welcome you to the site Itchybiscuit.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Thanks very much! You'll enjoy all of my Glasgow-themed pics then. For the subjects if not the technique! :wink:

11. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Welcome aboard from one scotsman to another, good to know your hobby keeps you active after a heart attack.

• Like Like x 1
  12. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Welcome! And don't worry - as I found out, the camera iteslf doesn't take pics! Good optics help, though :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  13. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    As a Scot who has lived and worked for the last 40 years in Germany, I look forward to seeing photos from home from you! I started photography as a hobby in 2008 when I was 60, so you have a head start ...

Nice to have you on board on the best forum on the net.

• Like Like x 1