1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Introduction to the M4/3 world

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Aviator, Apr 15, 2019 at 12:00 PM.

1. Aviator

Aviator New to Mu-43

Monday
    Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and I would like to ask probably a common question, (I apologize in advance for that).

I currently own a large collection of M42, OM and MD vintage glass that I use with 2 FF bodies and some film bodies. However as much as I like and enjoy manual focus and my gear, sometimes I wished I had a "faster" and "sharper" way to shoot than my usual zone focus street style, also I sometimes need less "delicate" lenses that my vintage ones and this is why I want to go with a new system.

After some research I'm convinced that M4/3 is the way to go! I'm probably bias towards Olympus because I love my OM legacy glass but I'm not closed to Panasonic of course.

I'm considering the Olympus EP-5 with the VF-4 viewfinder, the EM-5MK II or the EM-1 (not the Mk II as it is still expensive) and some F1.8 primes (I'm not really a zoom guy) to start! But I think it is wise to get some advise from you guys before making any purchase!

I enjoy to shoot mostly landscapes, street photo and amazing views I get from my office as an airline pilot.

What would be your recommendation?

Thank you all!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. DefectiveMonk

DefectiveMonk Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio, US
    Mark
    Welcome! Unless you need weather sealing, I'd consider an EM10 ii. It's going to be less than the EM5 ii and I think the major advantage of the M1 i is phase detect auto focus which works better with some older 4/3 glass (which may not be a consideration for you).

I think you'll find a lot to like about M43 and don't forget that there are adapters for most of that vintage glass for M43 as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Welcome! Let me plant the seed of doubt by mentioning that the Panasonic GX85 is still probably the best deal in M4/3 land right now for what you get ;)  It's been my main camera for three years now and it still holds up. Olympus puts out some nice gear though! I would maybe recommend looking for an EM1 v1, for the 20MP sensor, or maybe the EM5 v2 for the high-res mode for landscapes. The EP5 is nice but the technology in it is a bit old, at least in terms of AA filter, processor and such.

What focal lengths do you like shooting in?

4. Michael Meissner

Michael Meissner Mu-43 Veteran

The E-m1 mark I uses a 16MP sensor (but this sensor is made by Panasonic and not the more common 16MP Sony sensor). The E-m1 mark II, Pen-F, and E-m1x have the 20MP sensor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    My bad, I didn't realize Olympus didn't implement 20MP sensors until the Pen-F/EM1ii. Or rather, I knew at some point but forgot :p 

6. Aviator

Aviator New to Mu-43

Monday
    Thank you for you answers!

I forgot to mention that most of my work and my priority is about stills but with the amazing IBIS M4/3 offers probably I will incursion on video as well.

DefectiveMonk,
    Yes I'll eventualy adapt most of my legacy glass and share my results, I'm going to check the EM 10 Mk II.

I really don't NEED the weather sealing but it is one of the features that would be nice to have.

agentlossing,
    I'll definitely check the GX85 as I don't know anything about it!

Normally, the lenses I tend to use the most (but not the only ones) on FF are my OM Zuiko 24/2.8, Helios 44M 58/2.0 and Super Takumar 50/1.4.

So I was thinking to get the M. Zuiko 25/1.8 or the Panasonic Leica 25/1.4 to cover the "50mm look" , the M. Zuiko 12/2.0 to cover the "24mm look" and the M. Zuiko 45/1.8 or the Panasonic Leica 42.5/1.7 just to cover a short telephoto and because I liked a lot what I saw on the web about this two lenses.

7. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 15, 2016
    g85 is definitely a choice to consider, doesn´t have AA filter, weather sealing, i think it´s even cheaper than 5ii. on the other hand i really appreciate all photographic features em-5ii has - focus stacking, high res shot, incredible ibis. weather sealing and it´s size makes it perfect camera for me. also, i do a lot of adapting and oly has a slight advantage on that with legacy lenses by using ibis to it´s fullest.
    look up speed boosters(zhongye speed booster is best quality/price), tilt/shift adapters, to use on your legacy glass.

also keep in mind, mft equipment isn´t FF equipment. take crop factor into account or even better test lenses - on good glass you barely ever need to go above f5.6/8 for landscapes. also, i think you have to take it into account by shooting hyperfocal with legacy glass, not sure though, haven´t shot hyperfocal for ages.

legacy lenses are good, but you also should consider new manual primes on the wider spectrum, for low light capabilities. if you´re into noise or pixel peeping, you might want to get some cheap 25mm f0.95 glass.

8. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

Jun 15, 2016

btw. all lenses above aren´t weather sealed. i got oly 12-40 f2.8 for professional work, and haven´t regretedthis decision yet. i´m more into primes, but if there´s harsh enviroment or i don´t have much room for many primes - it´s my lens to go. just being 1 stop slower it basically replaces all the primes.
    and in dark enviroment i use manual primes anyway.
    mitakon 25mm f0.95 for "50mm f1.8" look
    zeiss 28mm f2.8 with mirex T/S adapter for "50mm f5.6" tilt/shift look
    pentax 50mm f1.4 + speed booster for "75mm f2" look

also check the sigma lineup. they seem to have nice 16 and 30 f1.4 lenses.

9. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
    If you want to go prime,
    17 + 45 is similar to an old standard 2-lens kit on 35mm film cameras is 35 + 85/105.
    12 + 25 + 45/60 is similar to the old 3-lens kit of 24/28 + 50 + 105/135.
    Do you want to go with 2 or 3 lenses?

I personally prefer zooms, but I have the 17 and am planning to get the 45, to make a 2-lens prime kit.

10. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Rob Campbell
    I’m going to throw my hat in with a recommendation for the EM-5mkII. You mentioned landscape photography and that camera has the “high res” pixelshift mode on it. The weather sealing’s a nice bonus and the metal knobs and dials all combine to make a pretty good looking camera.

for primes, the 17 f1.8 and 25 f1.8 should probably be on your list. If you like portrait photography the 45mm f1.8 is a real gem.

Of course, none of these are weather sealed, so if that was an important checkbox, you’re out of luck. You’ll have to cough up for the 1.2 PRO primes for that and they’re still a pretty penny.

happy shooting and welcome to the family. :) 

11. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    That's another really good choice, with a better EVF than the GX85, which could be a factor for you. The GX85 isn't bad, it's just not particularly good, especially if you want it for manual focus using legacy lenses. It's serviceable enough, but the G85's is a larger OLED panel that's easier on the eyes.

12. I see that you do "the street" and for that, I have recently purchased the E-PL5. I've never shot without a viewfinder before but have adapted quite quickly to using one. The downside is of course, sunny conditions but I'm loving the fact that you can use the tilt screen from waist level and just shoot the street whilst drawing hardly any attention to oneself. Would I recommend it for anything else? Not really as my other bodies can do a better job but as they sell for less than A$200 nowadays (US$143) I reckon they're worth having as many were sold as travel cameras and have low shutter counts. Mine had a shutter count of 109 and came with a panny 12-32 for A$290, I even saw a body sell for auction on ebay for A$105......................wish I had made my mind up at the time, but anyways, I am finding it to be the perfect street combo (for me)

13. Bushboy

Bushboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2018
    Aotearoa
    Charlie
    Where your coming from, the Olympus M5ii, is going to feel real nice.
    OMD M5 mark 2
    All day long...

14. Aviator

Aviator New to Mu-43

Monday
    Once again thank you all for your replies!

It seems that the EM-5 MK II is high regarded among the community. I have been reading about the GX85 and I like it has 4K video (even if I don't really use it) and that it lacks the AA filter, however the Oly is more appealing to me.

ac12,
    I don't mind going with 3 lenses.

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps,
    Thank you for the speedboster advise, do you get good results with it?

I don't consider myself within today's "youtube pixel peep trend" because no one really appreciates a photo by looking it at 200% zoom all the time. Also I don't mind some noise in my photos as most of the time it actually looks pleasant to me up to some degree.

By the way, that Mitakon 25/0.95 looks sweet!

My shooting style is as follows: always RAW, always manual, but with M4/3 I'll probably stick with Aperture Priority most of the time.

I don't own any modern glass except an Irix 15/2.4 in Canon EF mount which I really like. Basically ALL of my photos are done with vintage lenses on a Sony A7R or a Canon 5D (Classic) except for the Irix one... so let's say I'm not really switching systems, I'm just entering for the first time to a system to be precise!

Bushboy,
    The dilemma right now seems to be between the EM5 Mk II and the GX85, but the Olympus is really really appealing to me for the features like Live Bulb, Live Composite and weather sealing.

15. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    If you want to extensively use old lenses a flat fronted body can be good as some large diameter lenses foul on the protruding "pentaprism" like bit on the top of some Mu-43 lenses. This is why some people like the Oly E-P5 or PenF, Panasonic GX85, etc
    If you go for a DSLR like Mu-43 camera take an adaptor and and check that you can adapt your lenses. If the store lens you I suppose.

16. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

Jun 15, 2016
    gx85 and g85 are differen´tcameras, don´t mix them up. gx85 is consumer model, g85 is semipro with weathersealing and without AA.
    well, i ended up with oly too.

actualy i don´t shoot without speed booster. extra FOW, and extra 1stop of light is always welcome. also stoped down by that 1 extra stop it gives you sharper image.
    as for bokeh - i don´t have any complains.

Nacht der musik_IBK_2016-230157.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

NachtDerMusic_IBK_2016-9300022.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

don´t mind the sharpness, i often shoot wide open on shutterspeeds between 1/10-1/60. clearly not enough for event´s or moving people.
    i actually had some portrait sessions with it stopped down to f2-2.8 and it´s as sharp as any modern lens.
    pentax 50mm f1.4+ zhongyi lens turbo ii

17. Aviator

Aviator New to Mu-43

Monday
    Both images look perfectly fine for me! Usable and pleasant to my eyes.

It seems the OM-D EM-5 Mk II is selling these days for around 400-500 USD body only depending on the condition, not bad really. Another thing that I really like about that camera is how similar it looks to my OM film bodies.

We'll see what happens but it seems the Oly is probably the strongest contender for me.

Thank you for your help!

• Like Like x 1
  18. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The supertak 50 is a gorgeous lens on m43. Its functions as a 100/2.8 and is a nice telephoto

19. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I had the ep5 and now owns the black em5ii, the one thing I absolutely love with em5 is the option to flip the screen inside out so that it feels less vulnerable and Im not "chimping" so much when I shoot . It feels very old school. I got big hands but the grip is great anyways. Great camera!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.