1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Introduction and my path to Micro Four Thirds

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by pictor, Jul 31, 2010.

1. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Hello!

My name is Christian and I really enjoy being here. This is a very fine forum, where I have found a friendliness and helpfulness which I don't take for granted. The sketch of my photographic path, which I have written for my introduction, has become a little lengthy, but maybe one can see which dangers exist if one becomes too gear-centered. However, I am happy that I have found the right priorities before making major mistakes.

I have been taking photos since childhood, beginning with a small Kodak. My first camera I bought with my own money was a Canon T70 and later a T90, which was a really great camera. I really loved to take photos of butterflies and dragonflies with my 200mm Macro.

After a break of about ten long years I bought a Nikon D90 last summer. Although the D90 is a great camera, I soon desired a Nikon D700 in November, when I took many photographs during walks in dark forests, because I had to use high ISO for my macro photographs and was not happy with the noise (which I don't consider as bad any more). So I began to save as much money I could spare.

In March I decided to buy a compact camera which I can carry with me all the time and bought a Canon S90. This was the first major deviation from my plan to buy the Nikon D700, but since I had some bad neck pain in February, I was not so sure about buying the D700 anyway. Due to the fact that I take most of my photographs during walking tours and solitary walks after work, I realized, that more weight means less pleasure and that the quality of my S90 is good enough if I take raws and do some careful post processing. I enjoyed not to carry heavy gear with me so much, that my Nikon D90 has stayed at home since then.

After many thorough reflections about what is most important to me, I have decided to spend the money I have saved for the Nikon D700 on the Olympus E-PL1 with the 9-18mm and the 14-150mm instead. I have got my new camera this week and I am very happy with it. I have never had a wide angle zoom like this and I am fascinated by what I can do with that much more than by the better image quality of the D700. The Pen is infinitely better than any of the best DSLRs staying at home and I would not enjoy walking with so much weight anyway.

I still admire the quality of the Nikon D700 which I still consider as one of the best available DSLRs. My fascination for this camera drove me to the point where I intensely desired to buy a much too heavy camera, which would have been one of the worst and very expensive decisions I might have come to regarding to photography. One has to be very careful not to fall into a trap set by wishful thinking.

I really like technical perfection and still do pixel peeping sometimes, but today I value artistic expression and esthetic quality most and know that the best gear is just a tool and only as good as the photographer it is used by. Sometimes the fascination for some gear can hide what is most important.

In German we photographers wish "Gut Licht!" (literal translated: "Good light!") to each other. Is there something similar in English?

Gut Licht!
    Christian

• Like Like x 4
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Christian - your setup will serve you well but not so well as a D700 in low light. Please share some photos from your forest walks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hello Christian, and welcome indeed!

I enjoyed reading your introduction, and have reached a point in my own development that I appreciate the balance between image quality and ease of carrying... for me, m4/3rds represents the sweet spot at the moment - although some more high quality m4/3rds native lenses will really make a huge difference.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Christian, thank you for taking the time to stop in for your "formal" introduction.

I don't know that we have any particular saying in English, but I'll be happy to use yours.:thumbup:

May we all have the vision we need and good light.:flowers_2:

• Like Like x 1
  5. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    You are correct here and my setup will not even serve me as well as my Nikon D90 did in low light. But it is like Brian wrote above: I appreciate the balance between image quality and ease of carrying.

Last Winter I had to use high ISO, because I did not want to carry a tripod. Today I was hiking in a forest and used a small and light monopod (Manfrotto M-Y 776YB) such that there was no need for high ISO. My E-PL1 with the 9-18mm and this monopod together weight less than the D700 (body only). I really love the image quality of my new camera!

One photograph from today's walk:

20100801_151909.

6. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Welcome!

• Like Like x 1
  7. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    GrĂ¼ss dich Christian,

You stopped short of getting a D700 and I am now wondering whether I should have bought one! And for once it's nothing to do with IQ but weight of course and the sheer fun factor of the G1. We'll see how things work out. So your D90 has really been retired?

best wishes,
    David

• Like Like x 1
  8. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    The fun factor is very important, at least if it is a hobby.

It is more or less retired. Since I have a macro for my D90, there are some chances I will use it sometimes. However, I have used it only about five times this year. I just have much more fun with lighter gear. I don't want to be so hasty to sell it now, but I won't keep unused gear too long.