Introduction and advise

greenandgold

Mu-43 Rookie
Hello,

My name is Chris and I am new to this user group. I decided to purchase a m4/3 camera after growing tired of lugging around an SLR.. I've been lurking for a while but have now joined to be part of the community.

I just preordered an Olympus E-PL2 with the new 14-40 II lens. However, I noticed Adorama has refurbished E-P2s with the 17 f/2.8 lens for only $550. The E-PL2 does have newer technology, flash and a weaker AA filter, but this E-P2 kit comes with a better lens (which I would probably sell for the Pan 20mm f/1.7 anyway), better build quality and more controls. If you had to choose between the two, which would you pick? I used to own a Nikon D700 so I'm wondering which of the two would be a better fit for me.

If this question sounds familiar, I posted this on the E-P1 & E-P2 flickr group, but decided to post here as well since there is more traffic.

Thanks for your help!

Spuff

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hello.

I don't think the prevailing opinion is that the 17mm is better than the mark one 14-42 (I thought there was a surprise new lens when you said 14-40). The mkII 14-42 will be if anything better than the first version.

Because the EPl2 has not been released yet opinions borne of experience will probably be thin on the ground.

See this thread:
https://www.mu-43.com/f42/epl-1-vs-ep2-3136/
about the EP2 v the EPL1. You have to factor in the improvements in the EPL2.

russell

Mu-43 Regular
However, I noticed Adorama has refurbished E-P2s with the 17 f/2.8 lens for only $550.
The other thing to factor in is that once the E-PL2 has been out for a few months, this will probably drive the price of the E-P2 down, both new and used. Likewise if/when the E-P3 comes out. That's what I'm hoping will happen, at least....

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
A belated welcome Chris! I'm sorry that I somehow missed your introduction.

So am I correct that you ended up buying the E-P2? Either way, I hope you'll become more involved here and post some of your photographs soon.

P.S. I now realize I missed your introduction because you posted it along with your Olympus questions. Please consider adding another post in the Welcomes and Introductions forum, when you have the time.:wink:

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard Chris!

I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever you choose, and either way, you'll find plenty of knowledgeable support here at mu-43.

Cheers from New England.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom