1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Introduction and advise

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by greenandgold, Jan 19, 2011.

1. greenandgold

greenandgold Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2011
    Hello,

My name is Chris and I am new to this user group. I decided to purchase a m4/3 camera after growing tired of lugging around an SLR.. I've been lurking for a while but have now joined to be part of the community.

I just preordered an Olympus E-PL2 with the new 14-40 II lens. However, I noticed Adorama has refurbished E-P2s with the 17 f/2.8 lens for only $550. The E-PL2 does have newer technology, flash and a weaker AA filter, but this E-P2 kit comes with a better lens (which I would probably sell for the Pan 20mm f/1.7 anyway), better build quality and more controls. If you had to choose between the two, which would you pick? I used to own a Nikon D700 so I'm wondering which of the two would be a better fit for me.

If this question sounds familiar, I posted this on the E-P1 & E-P2 flickr group, but decided to post here as well since there is more traffic.

Thanks for your help!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Hello.

I don't think the prevailing opinion is that the 17mm is better than the mark one 14-42 (I thought there was a surprise new lens when you said 14-40). The mkII 14-42 will be if anything better than the first version.

Because the EPl2 has not been released yet opinions borne of experience will probably be thin on the ground.

See this thread:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f42/epl-1-vs-ep2-3136/
    about the EP2 v the EPL1. You have to factor in the improvements in the EPL2.

3. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    The other thing to factor in is that once the E-PL2 has been out for a few months, this will probably drive the price of the E-P2 down, both new and used. Likewise if/when the E-P3 comes out. That's what I'm hoping will happen, at least....

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

A belated welcome Chris! I'm sorry that I somehow missed your introduction.

So am I correct that you ended up buying the E-P2? Either way, I hope you'll become more involved here and post some of your photographs soon.

P.S. I now realize I missed your introduction because you posted it along with your Olympus questions. Please consider adding another post in the Welcomes and Introductions forum, when you have the time.:wink:

5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Welcome aboard Chris!

I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever you choose, and either way, you'll find plenty of knowledgeable support here at mu-43.

Cheers from New England.