1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Introducing Micro Four Thrids to the "Next Generation" of Photographers

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by entropicremnants, Jul 20, 2013.

1. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Yesterday I took my 10 year old grandson for a "grandpop day" where I do something with one of the grandchildren one-on-one. Isaac is an artist with an additional interest in photography but his charger has gone bad for his old Olympus point-and-shoot.

I decided to take him to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and to make it more fun take the train and a funky shuttle bus called the "Philly Pflash" to get to the museum. I gave him the old E-P1 with 17mm f/2.8 pancake that I have in my camera collection to use and he loved it. He's taken it home with him.

Here's a few of my shots from the day mostly with the GX1 and the Panny 20mm, but a couple with the 35-100mm. Full set and story is on the pics if you're interested here: Art Museum with Isaac - a set on Flickr

9322769537_54e73731bd_b.
    Isaac Does a Cosmopolitan Face on the Train by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9322769395_e3055ff810_b.
    Rodin's "Thinker" Ponders Isaac's Gawking by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9322768913_882572e91b_b.
    Isaac Takes a Photo by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9326024577_45d7413830_b.
    Getting the Angle by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9326024765_7a2ac0aa4d_b.
    Punishing the Sin of Blasphemy by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9325561472_7c418a491a_b.
    Five Musicians by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9322767947_f79f4c93d9_b.
    Noble Knight by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9325560796_11b36136a5_b.
    Armored Horse and Knight by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

And here are a few of his shots I have, unedited out of camera jpgs. I'll post more after I talk to him about what ones I can post from the set but I know he liked these okay.

[​IMG]

The next one is the one he was taking in the b/w shot of him I have where he's stretching over his head to get the angle. That was a very dark room in the temple and the exposure is 1/15 second at ISO 1600 wide open.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That's a nice camera/lens for a kid to learn technique.

3. Bit concerned about the outstretched arms technique in #4, but #3 looks more promising :smile:

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    ..And to add the magic of museums to their young minds too :smile:
    Nice series! :smile:

5. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    He was doing what he had to do to get the shot! He's only 10, lol, and to get the angle he had to stretch. Nothing wrong with that in this case but I get what you mean.

6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    great work you're doing John! by giving him a camera and taking him to a museum at his age! awesome incentive!

7. Just joking. Viewfinder jockeys like to defend their preference by disparaging the arms stretched out in front, "dirty diaper bag" technique of composing with the rear screen. Looks like even a 10 year old could show them a thing or two about using different techniques when appropriate. Good on him.

8. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Very nice of you to do this with him. This is exactly what my father did for me when I was your grandson's age. I still have the old Pentax that he lent me.

9. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Here's some more of his stuff -- except the first one which I took with his camera while we were in the car on the way to the train station. All the rest are his.

These ARE edited, but you can only do so much with a jpg so they are more tweaks than anything else. Mainly color correction and some sharpening to make up for noise filtered softness. Most of these of his are at ISO 1600 which is the top for the E-P1. Shows how clean the jpgs are.

He's excited that you guys are looking at these. He says the next to last one with the gold dragon looking at the clock (it was part of the clock -- very cool clock) is his favorite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Those are pretty good. The dragon has a nice dof aspect to it. I also like the horse armor shot for similar reasons.

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Tell your grandson that I'm really impressed with both of the horse suit of armor shots he took.

12. Vol

Vol Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2013
    Australia
    Good to see that Grandpop was steering him in the right direction.

Lots of photo ops and fine shots there.

Is that last a portrait of you John, taken by the protégé?

13. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Ha ha! Yes, it was him taking one of me. He took like a dozen -- a whole series with me making different goofy faces. I figured I wouldn't post all of them since they were just me entertaining Isaac. That was the last one where I "toasted" him with my coffee.

14. Vol

Vol Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2013
    Australia
    Isaac, he's a natural. :2thumbs: