Intoduction and Question

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by vsiddhartha, Mar 24, 2011.

1. vsiddhartha

vsiddhartha Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hi, I'm the proud new owner of a Panasonic G2, which complements the Minolta SRT101 and Casio EX-Z750 in my collection.

I ordered the camera online from B&H. When I opened the shipping box, I noticed that a corner of the Panasonic box inside had been crushed...about 1 inch. There was some crushing on the outer box in the same corner. Based on the strength of the Panasonic cardboard, it looks like the box took a pretty hard drop during shipping. Should I be worried that this could have messed up any internal mechanical/electronic hardware on the body or the lens? For example, the OIS, lens elements, sensor, shutter, etc.?

The body and lens themselves show no signs of damage and seem to be functioning normally, I just want to make sure that nothing could be damaged...this is a lot of money for me to lay out.

Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks,
    Josh

• Like Like x 1
  2. Possibly not, but...if I'd just shelled out a heap of money for a brand new camera and it arrived like that, I'd be asking the question of B&H.

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Josh and welcome to Mu43!

You should definitely call up B&H and tell them exactly what happened. They need to know for several reasons, and from your point of view you need to protect yourself. Call Customer Service right away - and don't throw out that shipping box. Please let us know how things work out. I'm sure they'll stand by their sale to you.

I hope that whatever makes you feel secure about the camera works out for you. I know that I'd hate to have to send a camera back when I'd been waiting for it. We'll be here waiting for your photographs, even if we have to wait a while.

P.S. I see you're from New Jersey, so that's a plus when it comes to shipping times. Definitely call them.

4. vsiddhartha

vsiddhartha Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2011
    New Jersey
    I called B&H, and they offered to exchange it with no issues. I went in to the store yesterday and had in a new camera in hand within minutes. Very good service!

PS. That store is AMAZING! Never seen anything like it. Anything under the sun electronic, consumer to SUPER high end, they have it. Lots of help (though not in your face), good prices, and very organized and efficient store.

• Like Like x 1
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Oh, you can go to the actual store. I may some day make a pilgrimmage to NYC to visit there. :wink:

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus