Into the Light....

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by FOsteology, Feb 5, 2010.

1. FOsteology

FOsteology Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    I've been lurking in the shadows for the past couple days, and decided it was time to step into the light. :biggrin:
    Being rather "green", I won't post much, as I have little first hand experience and knowledge to add any significant content to the discussions.

I've dabbled in photography off and on for a couple years (very much a noob). Mainly P&S, and then got my feet wet with an Oly E-500. Recently sold it off and went with a 40D with a handful of lenses.

Nice system.... but ultimately I've decided that aside from photographing wildlife, I need/want a smaller, lighter kit.

So, I've been searching for a compact camera that I can take on trips/vacations where photography isn't the primary objective, without losing the 3 most important features of a SLR; shallow DOF control, precise selection of focus points, and usable higher ISO.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 and Olympus E-P2 Pen obviously caught my eye and attention! In fact, I have a GF1 with a 20mm f/1.7 and 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 in route! :2thumbs:

The m43 systems looks extremely interesting, and promising... just seem to be the ideal kit for vacation, traveling, and everyday fun camera where weight and size are important.

Hopefully the platform will continue to improve, and additional lenses (fast primes and zooms) to support the m43 are on the horizon. As I've said, I'm new to the hobby..... but even I can see that this has tremendous potential to make a positive change to the hobby and craft.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I saw ya hiding in the dark.
    Welcome aboard and don't feel you have little to offer in discussions.
    You just started one. See how easy it is.
    Any questions/issues, gimme a ring.
    Shooter

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Congratulations! and welcome to the forum... you say that you're green, but obviously know what you're talking about... those are three very important qualities of a DSLR, and provided by m4/3rds without the bulk!

By simply sharing your journey with us, asking questions where you can - you'll be helping a lot of people here... so please relax, a question is often more valuable than an answer - it will often lead to lots of answers and a good discussion!

Thanks for trusting us, hope you'll stick around :drinks:

Cheers

Brian

4. FOsteology

FOsteology Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    Appreciate the welcome.

I'm excited as I should have my GF1 in hand sometime this week. Considering selling the 14-45mm lens and replacing it with the 14-140mm and if I can scrounge up enough spare change, add the 7-14mm.

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Keep us posted and we'll be awaiting your one of your first photos!

6. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Yup, post 'em up! Welcome:smile: