Interwebs makin' me Crazy!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by digitalandfilm, Sep 16, 2011.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Ok.. so I investigate and learn about the effects of dust in lens, everything you could want to know about lens fungus, what a "good deal" should be on "X" lens, and basically- caveat emptors all over the place.

So.. I scrutinize the legacy lenses I have and see one has dust.. I can see it.. it's there! Oh Jeez.. I got screwed...

Then the next lens.. missing a set screw and it has FUNGI! I immediately start itching.. "can I catch it?" goes through my mind.

Next lens was reportedly NEW/OLD Stock.. still.. I'm wary.. damn camera people.. and then I see it! MORE FUNGI!! And maybe the heartbreak of Psoriasis.. now my skin is crawling.. oh god.. what to do!

Race to a well known "Emergency Room" (Photo Tech, 110 E. 13th Street, NYC) with my patients.. one of the prime lens felt a bit hot.. like a fever.

The Photo Tech looks and say's "Yup- there's some dust!" Ha- I knew it!

He then say's "How are the photo's with it?" which causes me to wonder and reply "Gorgeous".. so he says "Don't worry about it.. most lenses have some dust, and it never effects image quality." Wow.. ok, good.

Len's #2 and #3 come out.. I explain about the FUNGI and perhaps Jock Itch and the Tech say's let's have a look.

He carefully examines the lens.. and then the other one.. and says.. are you ready?

"I see nothing.. both lenses are fine.. no fungus." The set screw was under some dust and, sort of like belly-button lint.

Then I think.. what about the lubrication.. the "L" in CLA????

He manipulates the lens... then the other.. then the other.. and say's:

"They are fine.. one (the New/Old Stock) is a little stiff, but will wear in after a little use."

Moral of the Story:

Take what you read on the Interwebs with a grain of salt!

Also- Kudo's to the folks at Photo-Tech, my new friends! :thumbup:

And.. I'm not itchy any more.
    • Like Like x 9
  2. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    there there there

Take a look at this and chill ! :smile::smile::smile::smile:

Dirty lens article

It will all be ok. :wink:
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That should read "Dirty/Busted lens article". ;)
  4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    That would ruin the surprise. I love that article, everyone buying anything beyond a kit lens should read it at least once. Lens glass basically has to be in seriously bad condition before it will actually affect quality. So, next time you read a used description that says something like a few internal dust specs that don't affect image quality...believe it!
  5. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Here's a test shot with the Oly OM 50mm 1.8 and the Nikon 50mm Ais 50 1.8:
  6. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    That was fun to read! Thanks for taking the time to write it!
  7. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Made me smile. Well written:)