1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Interviews shot with the GH2 + Pentax DA* 50-135 F2.8 lens

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by John M Flores, Nov 1, 2011.

1. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    [ame=http://vimeo.com/31429940]Project Main Street speaks with the candidates on Vimeo[/ame]

CFL continuous lights (Interfit Cool Lite 5 + Flashpoint 85w CFL)
    Background was lit with hotlights that a friend has
    Separate audio was with a Radio Shack lavalier paired with a Tascam DR-07
    Editing was Final Cut Pro X, which will someday be a great program but right now feels like a beta.

One production note - when you use the GH2 with the AC adapter, the file is not saved until you stop recording. So if you lose power or something like that, you can lose footage. Not cool

• Like Like x 2
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    really nice lighting... care to share the setup you used ? and the kind of camera settings

K

3. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    The segments with Doug Piazza I think are the nicest because the background is blurred more.

The GH2 is certainly capable is producing pro level video. It almost looks like an episode of Frontline.

4. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    thx. I was fortunate to be working with a friend who's a top notch photographer. He's really good at lighting. If you look at the stills around the 1:00 mark you'll see two softboxes on camera left. One is eye-level with the subject and the other one is on a boom pointing at an angle (not straight down). A white reflector is placed camera left below the subject to kick up some light from down below and soften some of the stronger shadows.

The background is lit from the other direction, from camera right and pointing left, so that the subject's dark side is placed against the bright part of the background and the subject's light side is against the dark part of the background. The background is lit with traditional hot-lights, but since we're shooting B&W the color temp difference didn't matter.

Camera was set to 1080p24, shutter @ 1/50s, aperture between F2.8 and F4. I have a smallHD external EVF with peaking focus assistance.

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    cheers John

good info....

interested in what external EVF you used... is the GH2 external video full res?

K

6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    whoa, nice to know that. have you considered using a battery backup?

Any reason you chose to go w/ b/w? Also, nice work on the audio. That is the crux of any attempt at even lame video I make, heh.

7. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I actually rigged an RC car battery (7 cell, 5000 mAH) to work with the GH2. It can go 6+ hours on a charge. I'm going to have to stress test it and see how the GH2 behaves when the external battery runs out of juice. If it shuts down neatly - saving the file before shutting down - then I'll use that from now on.