Interview with Olympus's Aki Murata - sounds very positive

JonSnih

Mu-43 Regular
This was an encouraging review with Olympus. Sounds like they're all in for photographers. Good on ya, Olympus!

https://www.43rumors.com/dpreview-interview-aki-murata-of-olympus-says-full-frame-isnt-for-everybody-more-telephoto-lenses-coming/
Lets hope the E-M1iii will feature a new sensor with improvement in IQ and read-out speed.

I am still puzzled by a number of medium telephoto zooms in development:
a 45-150mm f4?
a 50-200mm f3.5?
a 60-250mm f4.5?
+ we already have the 40-150mm f2.8 zoom lens.

Eirik

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Eirik
I think this looks very good. Shows that they are committed and that they are not about to waste their resources by going into full frame.

It also makes sense that they are staying in mFT as the others are either focusing their efforts on full frame, by sort of neglecting their crop frame offerings, or outright cripple them to lure their users into full frame.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Veteran
Lets hope the E-M1iii will feature a new sensor with improvement in IQ and read-out speed.

I am still puzzled by a number of medium telephoto zooms in development:
a 45-150mm f4?
a 50-200mm f3.5?
a 60-250mm f4.5?
+ we already have the 40-150mm f2.8 zoom lens.
the 50-200mm looks like a f2.8 lens as it is grouped with the other f2.8 lenses. The other longer telephoto might be a 70-250mm f3.5 as shown in this patent.

https://www.43rumors.com/new-olympus-patent-disclose-the-design-for-the-70-250mm-f-3-5-and-100-400-f-4-5-mft-lenses/

JonSnih

Mu-43 Regular
the 50-200mm looks like a f2.8 lens as it is grouped with the other f2.8 lenses. The other longer telephoto might be a 70-250mm f3.5 as shown in this patent.

https://www.43rumors.com/new-olympus-patent-disclose-the-design-for-the-70-250mm-f-3-5-and-100-400-f-4-5-mft-lenses/
Both lenses would require at least 71mm front element but given the fact that the 40-150mm f2.8 already uses 72mm filter thread these two are in 77-82mm filter thread teritory = very big = serious glass. Still too close to each other. What you get for reach you sacrifice for slower f-stop. The patent for 100-400mm lens will never materialise - we will get 150-400mm f4.5 1.25 TC lens.

Real Name
Loren
Good interview. I think his observations and the company mindset are realistic to the current market and technology, and stay true to the grand strategy that we were made aware of in the past year or so — a strategy that I still feel is very sound and exciting if executed properly.

One new line is the addition of the “wanderer” segment in their strategy. It was always there, but l‘d never seen it officially articulated by the marketing department before. The E-M1 line and the Pro lenses are not Oly’s only focus.

I also like his inclusion of the landscape genre as a point of attraction, as this is a genre I feel is covered quite nicely with Oly features, and it fits seamlessly with the wildlife and wanderer segments.

His words suggest the E-M1X is accomplishing what Oly wanted, much more than it’s detractors say about it. This is important, if true, because it is the current pinnacle of Olympus’ goals (even if I think it has a couple areas where it could have been better). I am totally on board with why professionals might consider it a compelling option for wildlife, but also that the 150-400 is hugely important to true success. It will be very expensive, but I hope they knock that lens out of the park.

Lastly, he addressed that technological innovations will continue to close the remaining gaps, of course mainly sensor performance. I am glad they recognize that ISO and DR performance need to continue to improve for their strategy to succeed, but not to catch up to full frame. I feel there is a “finish line“ for this goal, where it is good enough to not be a concern anymore (as AF and EVF lag have become), though I can’t say where that is, or when they might get there. The biggest valid complaint about Oly in the past year has been the lack of such sensor progress, however, so hopefully this is more than just a gamble. I’m not sure how much Oly can do about it either way.

Last edited:

hoodlum

Mu-43 Veteran
Both lenses would require at least 71mm front element but given the fact that the 40-150mm f2.8 already uses 72mm filter thread these two are in 77-82mm filter thread teritory = very big = serious glass. Still too close to each other. What you get for reach you sacrifice for slower f-stop. The patent for 100-400mm lens will never materialise - we will get 150-400mm f4.5 1.25 TC lens.
The 300mm f4 uses a 77mm filter so maybe Olympus would standardize on this filter size for these lenses.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom