Interview with Olympus on DPR

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
An important question is, why have an interview with DPR? Is Olympus really that ignorant or dumb to think they will get a fair representation at DPR? A much better choice would have been M43rumors.

I see all the distrust, and yes it's a valid question, can we really trust the Olympus management team? I cannot help thinking, if Olympus really wanted to inform investors and loyal Olympus clients, do a press release, and provide investors and customers with real information...

I think Leica is a good example of a company successfully managing a brand, manage dark times, and create new demand with an extremely loyal following and unique brand value & positioning...

Does M43 and Olympus as a brand have the potential to write a similar success story? I think so, but I must say the current management performance is not good, I see too much weakness and not enough strength...

So the question is, does Olympus have the will to write a similar success story as Leica did?

The one thing I would think Olympus could do or could have done out of courtesy is to make some sort of presentation or announcement to or within this forum
As far as I know it is the only forum dedicated to the (their) Micro Four Thirds format and the only one which solely supports their sales, business and ethos
I think it a little short sighted on their part to ignore such an integral audience and customer base and having carried out an interview with DPR find it more than a little disappointing that they seem to have ignored Mu43.com

Last edited:

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
While I intend to continue using my Olympus gear, and even buy more if I feel I need it. I find myself strangely disconnected from this news. I don't have much 'emotional' investment in this.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don’t go to the DPR site, but do watch Chris and Jordan’s videos. They are entertaining.

They recently released one where they say that they still carry mft cameras for their personal gear.

Chris did mention in today's video that Olympus IBIS is still better than the Canon R6. He expects the R5 to even be a bit worse due to more mp.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Another interview from today with a few quotes.

https://www.adorama.com/alc/the-fut...-aki-murata-president-consumer-products-group

"The transfer is not expected to affect Olympus’ service offerings. Olympus’ Authorized Repair Centers will continue business as usual. Services such as repairs and warranty claims will be honored for Olympus-branded products both during and after the transfer."

"We will continue to pursue these benefits and develop compact lightweight MFT system products that are aligned with the needs of photographers of genres in which our unique features shine, such as Wildlife, Bird, Field Marco, and Adventure Landscape photography."

"We will continue to advance our goal of leading in the Outdoor Niche photography category by focusing on the previously mentioned photography fields. Our future product development, strategies, and organization will be based on these priorities, and we are excited for what the new organization and our communities will create together."

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular
First, I would like to stress that the sale of the Imaging Division does not mean that we will withdraw from the imaging business. We will continue to offer unique and exciting products.

Regarding this quote. I understand it's probably caused by a noise in translation, but how plausible would be the theory that Olympus offloads imaging division, possibly just to cut costs, but still keep making digital cameras in the house? As far as I know, they do have two lens manufacturing sites. That Vietnam, and there's another Japanese one for higher end lenses.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Top Veteran
We must have missed this from 3 days ago. I have pulled out a couple of comments.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explor...6A70EDADE6F153FF67E1B5C63817BF05F66F241DB8A83

" Our R&D team will remain and will continue to develop high-quality camera systems and audio products. "

" The transfer will include all product categories currently managed by our Imaging Division. Olympus’s Medical, Life Sciences, and Industrial Solutions divisions will not be included in the transfer. "

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for that link. So it really is getting more puzzling. R&D staying and continuing development of camera systems and audio products, and claim that Olympus brand will "likely" not be used forever, is all really weird.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for that link. So it really is getting more puzzling. R&D staying and continuing development of camera systems and audio products, and claim that Olympus brand will "likely" not be used forever, is all really weird.

When he says the R&D team will remain he is saying that R&D will continue after the transfer to JIT. Nothing from imaging is staying with Olympus "The transfer will include all product categories currently managed by our Imaging Division"

Here is the full question and answer.

Will new cameras and lenses be released?

Absolutely! Again, we are working to revitalize the business under the new leadership. Our R&D team will remain and will continue to develop high-quality camera systems and audio products.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Wouldn't be surprised if much of what Olympus is promising is already in their warehouse or on final assembly lines awaiting packaging and a bit of marketing to peddle it off before JIP/Newco takes over.

Could be Olympus may use its assembly lines to make future gear if someone approaches them to do so. It will be at their client's financial peril though. Leica did that when Minolta made some of their products even though Leica kept their prices up. Sigma may be making some lenses to other companies specs on their lines.

As to Olympus recent statements about "Concentrating on high-end gear" I agree. Some of the old high-priced 4x5 camera outfits are still around like Sinar, Linhof, and Toyo.

https://sinar.swiss/
http://linhof.com/en/tag/view-camera/
http://www.toyoview.com/

Toyo's sort of interesting as they have EquiCaptial behind them now given the cameras cost so much so people can lease them instead. Didn't drop prices, but raised them as they used to be the cheapest of the three mentioned.

Some think Olympus should sell cheaper being smaller. That market share has less money and will opt to cellphones instead of high-end photo gear so it's tough to compete there. Nikon tried that with their colorful line of cheap Coolpixes where dealers almost had to give them away if they were not a Pro-line Nikon dealer (Won't get into that!) buying $50K orders. Rollei got into the 35 FF arena and that killed them as they were cheap, junk cameras near their end. Chinon camera did it too and they disappeared.

Leica is still around peddling lenses (Huawei cellphone lenses.) and has had others make their gear which also allowed them to keep their prices up. They kept their high-end camera/art stores in the USA to peddle them too. "Don't have the money? Don't go in there." - and I suspect they don't care either as you are not one of their likely customers.

Last edited:

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
An important question is, why have an interview with DPR? Is Olympus really that ignorant or dumb to think they will get a fair representation at DPR? A much better choice would have been M43rumors.

I see all the distrust, and yes it's a valid question, can we really trust the Olympus management team? I cannot help thinking, if Olympus really wanted to inform investors and loyal Olympus clients, do a press release, and provide investors and customers with real information...

I think Leica is a good example of a company successfully managing a brand, manage dark times, and create new demand with an extremely loyal following and unique brand value & positioning...

Does M43 and Olympus as a brand have the potential to write a similar success story? I think so, but I must say the current management performance is not good, I see too much weakness and not enough strength...

So the question is, does Olympus have the will to write a similar success story as Leica did?

Leica is, apparently, again in trouble. Third time in 20 years, they’ve needed bailing out by external parties with deep pockets looking for luxury brands. Not a good example. Not at all.

DPR audience is in the millions. No other photo review site is even close in eyeballs, including Fstoppers and Petapixel or any of the rumours sites.

No, we cannot trust the management team. Their first obligation is to shareholders. With so many losses, the proverbial “other shoe” hasn’t dropped. It will.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
Corporations being what they are, there is just as much room for cautious optimism that this is what they say it is as there is for distrust. COVID was a sudden pitfall for an industry already in trouble, and no one could have planned for it. For Olympus it couldn’t have come at a worse time. But, if they had to do something, better to do it early (while sales are down anyways) and with enough assets posing potential upside. So, it’s good to hear that the most important aspects of the Olympus brand — the innovative R&D department, the driving vision capitalizing on the system’s strengths, and the service and support, will all continue as part of the partnership negotiations (which is what Olympus seems to be aiming for). It’s too early to tell, but there are possible scenarios where this move ends up being exactly what the system needs. It probably will become more boutique, but that’s not necessarily a bad model for the future.

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
Something akin to a Japanese Leica.
Maybe focus into making the most profitable portable rigs for serious wildlife/BIF with a hefty price that people who need such tools would gladly pay vs the FF behemoths and slowly move away from anything else in the system? This could also be a niche strategy

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
If they had given a free soft bag with each lens sold, plus charged a reasonable amount for a lens hood, they may be in a different position.

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
they failed to see how the waters were changing long before running aground, slightly at first but harder & harder with each passing year, with less and less wind in the sails to keep moving in the same course laid out on a map of a different world a generation ago

Latest threads

Top Bottom