Interview with Olympus on DPR

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Call me a dreamer but I feel that Olympus is not just washing their hands of the imaging division but genuinely trying to ensure some integrity, continuity and ongoing activity and service to their customers
I have been and am happy to continue buying Olympus products and will wait for more info and plans to be announced in due course in September
At that point things will be much clearer

Most likely this isn't a complete sale and Olympus has some sort of long term plan to stay involved. I think they know the global landscape is not condusive for what they are offering. This move is meant to refocus back to the JDM, which is much different then the global market in terms of the types of products that successfully sell. It's actually not an uncommon strategy for Japanese companies to use and appearently Olympus cameras do very well in the JDM.

Just my two cents.

Sony still owns 10% of the VAIO brand, also transferred to JIP. There may be "contributions" other than ownership Sony is getting from JIPs VAIO sales of the branded products.

The PEN brand is specifically included in the transfer to JIP according to this interview. There was some question if that was to occur. I think we will see an updated PEN-F soon after the E-M10iv is released.

I didn't get that. He clearly differentiates brands in one sentence and then stresses a high-end focus the next.

It may be contradictory to retain PEN in a high-end scheme, not with their lifestyle product category popularity in Asia. They are approaching stylish, bargain bin status.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I think we need to take this for what it is - a senior Olympus employee (VP of Global Strategy) giving a staged interview in an attempt to calm the photo community. It's marketing. His objective was almost certainly to smooth the market following the big announcement (and remember that the announcement was necessary for reasons of corporate governance, not for reasons of informing customers or the media).

So long as he doesn't say anything which is obviously outlandish, then he'll spin the conversation in the most positive way possible. Japanese culture hates direct controversy - he'll use words to say one thing when he means another. I don't think we can read too much into any of it. The only time we'll know for sure is 6 months after the deal is done.

CO_yeti

Mu-43 Regular
I think we need to take this for what it is - a senior Olympus employee (VP of Global Strategy) giving a staged interview in an attempt to calm the photo community. It's marketing. His objective was almost certainly to smooth the market following the big announcement (and remember that the announcement was necessary for reasons of corporate governance, not for reasons of informing customers or the media).

So long as he doesn't say anything which is obviously outlandish, then he'll spin the conversation in the most positive way possible. Japanese culture hates direct controversy - he'll use words to say one thing when he means another. I don't think we can read too much into any of it. The only time we'll know for sure is 6 months after the deal is done.

People are really into this whole Olympus is a bench of liars/criminals/supervillians intent on scamming the world angle... Logically if they really are looking to dump the imagining division at a loss they don't care about a few million (or less) in lost E-M10iv lost sales between now and the closing of the deal. There is no grand conspiracy.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
People are really into this whole Olympus is a bench of liars/criminals/supervillians intent on scamming the world angle... Logically if they really are looking to dump the imagining division at a loss they don't care about a few million (or less) in lost E-M10iv lost sales between now and the closing of the deal. There is no grand conspiracy.

Yes but what if instead of the questions asked, I pose a different question and pretend the answers he gave were an attempt to evade the thing I made up? Checkmate, Olympus!

Olympus over the 43 and m43 life to date have lost~ US$1.1 billion.
m43 alone is US$800+ million.
That's a LOT of $$ not going into medical and science product research, a real loss IMO.
One could argue that the camera egos at Imaging misspent the subsidies from endoscopes based on the prestige of the brand and its history in photography.
That the medical and science division have maintained or increased their standing in their industries in the face of subsidizing Imaging is positive, but it's time to cut the slackers off.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Nikkei Asian Review has some info on the Olympus exit.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Electronics/Olympus-exit-foreshadows-a-Japan-camera-sector-shake-up

Ricoh may do the same with Pentax as they have some announcement set for tomorrow.

https://pentaxrumors.com/2020/07/14...t-the-pentax-camera-will-value-in-the-future/

Aside, would be interesting if Canon picked up Olympus for their smaller format. Name it "CanOly". :laugh1:

That may no be so far-fetched. Canon may value the Zuiko, Tough, and even PEN lines. OMD and the MFT mount are the problem children. That said Canon was reported to have shut down some its optical lines a year ago, so acquiring more capacity may not be practical.

CO_yeti

Mu-43 Regular
Nikkei Asian Review has some info on the Olympus exit.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Electronics/Olympus-exit-foreshadows-a-Japan-camera-sector-shake-up

Ricoh may do the same with Pentax as they have some announcement set for tomorrow.

https://pentaxrumors.com/2020/07/14...t-the-pentax-camera-will-value-in-the-future/

Aside, would be interesting if Canon picked up Olympus for their smaller format. Name it "CanOly". :laugh1:

Nice and informative article, thanks for sharing. It is interesting how 'clean' the Japanese imaging companies histories have been overall. Not a lot of shake-ups and change in brand ownerships. Obviously that might be coming to an end...

I actually follow Casio for G-Shock and Pro Trek watches and have a few. No idea they made cameras.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Nothing is certain till the final agreement is signed, but I am guessing we will only see a marketing version of the agreement nothing we will be able to use for future investment purposes.

One interesting line for me was "This is why we believe JIP is an optimal partner." Wonder if this will cover manufacture and R&D, something that I doubt JIP could handle as well as Olympus.

Anyway we may know more in September.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Oh, I don't believe there's some grand conspiracy at all, or that Olympus are liars, criminals or whatever. They are simply doing what is necessary given the situation they and the market are in.

I'm sure there are many honourable and dedicated people at Olympus, but damage limitation from the announcement is perfectly compatible with that. It's clear there will be some continuing business post the JIP deal and doing all that's possible to shore up market confidence is clearly in everyone's interests.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I honestly feel it's ridiculous that people are claiming that anything Olympus says can't be trusted (because the said the imaging division isn't for sale etc.). Well, how's that different from any other brand in any other line of business? The people in charge say what they need to say. Or don't say anything at all - which is another story too. There are even laws against revealing certain information before business deals so even if Olympus executives would like to tell everything they simply can't. And is Olympus the only company in the world to say something that didn't turn out to be true? I think we all know the answer to that one.

And the "I trust rumor sites more than anything the folks at Olympus" is as ridiculous (sorry if I'm offending anyone here). Trust rumor sites? LOL. Oh come on! The BS they spread just to get the clicks? Source for the rumor? No need for a source. Just type it in and you have a source. "Well, it was said in the OnlyBigSensorsMatter.com so it must be true!" "They lied to me so I will never believe anything they say." Well guess what... Everybody lies. :D

I'm losing count on the days that I have read new topics on this subject in a row now. Whether it's FB groups, rumor sites or forums. It's like nothing else matters any more. Who cares about taking photos and discussing photography when you can SPECULATE on rumors about rumors about Olympus's rumored sale (which is not even a sale). Come on. How ridiculous is that? Sorry for using that word three times in this post but how else would you describe this nonsense?

Take a deep breath. And another. Then go out and take some photos. Let's get back to the subject in November or December when the discussions are based on something else than 43rumors.com's made up (so-called) rumors.

You can twist and turn the statements how you like. E.g. you can interpret the "This is why we believe JIP is an optimal partner." meaning that Olympus people are staying aboard because of the word "partner" instead of "buyer". Only your imagination is the limit on how you want things to look like. And we all know what generates more clicks on rumor sites: praising or bashing. :tomato2:

PS. Not attacking anyone personally and not trying to offend anyone but this has gone waaaaay out of portion already. :)

Last edited:

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I honestly feel it's ridiculous that people are claiming that anything Olympus says can't be trusted (because the said the imaging division isn't for sale etc.). Well, how's that different from any other brand in any other line of business? The people in charge say what they need to say. Or don't say anything at all - which is another story too. There are even laws against revealing certain information before business deals so even if Olympus executives would like to tell everything they simply can't. And is Olympus the only company in the world to say something that didn't turn out to be true? I think we all know the answer to that one.

And the "I trust rumor sites more than anything the folks at Olympus" is as ridiculous (sorry if I'm offending anyone here). Trust rumor sites? LOL. Oh come on! The BS they spread just to get the clicks? Source for the rumor? No need for a source. Just type it in and you have a source. "Well, it was said in the OnlyBigSensorsMatter.com so it must be true!" "They lied to me so I will never believe anything they say." Well guess what... Everybody lies. :D

I'm losing count on the days that I have read new topics on this subject in a row now. Whether it's FB groups, rumor sites or forums. It's like nothing else matters any more. Who cares about taking photos and discussing photography when you can SPECULATE on rumors about rumors about Olympus's rumored sale (which is not even a sale). Come on. How ridiculous is that? Sorry for using that word three times in this post but how else would you describe this nonsense?

Take a deep breath. And another. Then go out and take some photos. Let's get back to the subject in November or December when the discussions are based on something else than 43rumors.com's made up (so-called) rumors.

You can twist and turn the statements how you like. E.g. you can interpret the "This is why we believe JIP is an optimal partner." meaning that Olympus people are staying aboard because of the word "partner" instead of "buyer". Only your imagination is the limit on how you want things to look like. And we all know what generates more clicks on rumor sites: praising or bashing. :tomato2:

PS. Not attacking anyone personally and not trying to offend anyone but this has gone waaaaay out of portion already. :)
I agree with most of what you say. But OTOH, this is a photo forum for banter about m43 gear - so it's only reasonable that there's this sort of speculation here. If you (or anyone else) doesn't want to contribute, then that's OK.

I do agree with your analysis of the Olympus position though, and I also agree that there have been some silly posts ascribing motives to Olympus employees that are clearly nonsense. But that's democracy!

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I agree with most of what you say. But OTOH, this is a photo forum for banter about m43 gear - so it's only reasonable that there's this sort of speculation here. If you (or anyone else) doesn't want to contribute, then that's OK.

I do agree with your analysis of the Olympus position though, and I also agree that there have been some silly posts ascribing motives to Olympus employees that are clearly nonsense. But that's democracy!
Yes. At least there's no new thread here about this topic every day (unlike in e.g. Facebook). And yes, I could stay away from all of these discussions but... :D :D :D

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I am not happy with speculation and wish lists. I like facts and the truth. Very disappointed with Olympus. They have lied and defrauded in the past. The products are wonderful, often years ahead of the competition. Prices are high. The Japanese Leica as a previous member posted strikes a chord. Reviews make exaggerated claims, prices never go up. What are we to do. Wait. There are no new products to buy yet, so wait.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom