1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

"International Landscape Photographer of the Year"

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sammykhalifa, Aug 28, 2015.

1. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
  2. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    Thanks for the link! Many of the images are outstanding feats of technical skill and what must be expensive travel to location (not including the gear, which I'd guess if far from entry level for many f not all of the images). Having said that, there are only a few that I even clicked on/stared at; could see, and have seen, nearly the same images on 500px, Flickr, Instagram, etc. As the cost of technology falls, makes highly capable cameras more ubiquitous, and more people travel to the popular photo locations, I think the bar for these kinds of awards should be raised. To me, the most interesting landscapes still capture a fleeting moment or a location or a vantage point that takes tremendously more effort or skill or creativity to capture; a towering breaking wave with the light and spray just right, aerial image of a remote location, lighting/weather/timing aligned in an unusual way, etc. If you have the same properly-exposed, nicely-composed, high-res photo of Yosemite or Patagonia or a long-exposure waterfall as every other photographer, what makes it worthy of an award?

Too bad they don't include even some basic data on the gear used, would love to know if any of these are m4/3 even if the chances are very low...

3. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I don't know---the ones that strike me are the ones with intriguing composition rather than anything technical or even necessarily related to the subject of the photo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Wonder if any were taken with drones.

5. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Nearly all english names are Aussies.

6. DaninFLA

DaninFLA Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    Dan
    well im gonna disagree with the person that seemed to think most of these were not good. there were some excellent one. my favorites were the tree by monish moansharami, the forest shot by jannick clause, and the reflection of the grass in the pond by carline Fraser. great shots.

7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Some of those look more "fake" than real. Not sure if that was the intention or not. When I think of Landscape, I generally don't think something that looks fake. Some are pretty good, others look pretty baked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Why would you think that none could possibly be m4/3?

9. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil

I can appreciate both ways. I have to keep in mind though that even the ones that "look real" took a lot of post processing to make it so. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    Many photos are just as much art as photographs, and probably took a lot of manipulation to get it to to the state that was posted. It's a concept I struggle with, and wonder how far I should push an image. Some of these images seem to be more art than photography - but thats ok. Perhaps it may not be to my taste, but its a very subjective area. It's a hobby to me, and I'm not sure I want to spend so much time to learn how to get highly proficient in photoshop. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do in this hobby: I enjoy landscapes, but perhaps with minimal post processing. We'll see...

11. gengh

gengh Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2010
    Norway
    Wow, thanks for the link. There are some absolutely stuning shots in the top 101 images.
    I like that many of the images that made the list are not grand landscapes.
    I am left with 16 favorite images, it must be tough being a judge with such great submissions.

12. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I have no problems with images that have been manipulated to look beyond realistic. Truth be told, even using shallow DoF is beyond realistic of what the human eye sees. If every one of us shot the same kind of photography or thought the same as to what is good or not, it'd be a dull world. Even in the art world, there are painters and illustrators who do lifelike images and others who do surreal and everything in between. For me, photography is not much, if any different than other art forms where personal style and embellishments are what makes viewing different styles interesting. The photographer as an artist is making his statement and whether others perceive it to be good or not or whether they want to call it photography is the viewer's right to do so. However, IMO, even the most drastically altered photograph is still a photograph at it's core level.

• Agree Agree x 1