1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Internal zoom legacy options

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by chrith, Oct 16, 2011.

1. chrith

chrith Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2010
    Using my m4/3 system mainly for video and want an internal zoom zoom so i dont have to keep adjusting the matte box. having trouble finding options for internal zoom lenses. any suggestions?

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    For non-native ยต4/3 lens, most of Canon EOS/L series internally focus and zoom (even their macros internally focus). You may have some difficulty adjusting the aperture though.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, I'd go with Gary's suggestion. That's always been one of the nice things about EOS lenses. As for adjusting aperture, there are several options available such as the Redrock and Berger adapters which can operate the original electronic aperture control, or the Kipon and Bower adapters which include aperture control rings on the adapter (these are much cheaper, and who knows... you may even prefer them if you like a physical aperture ring). I haven't actually tried any of these adapters myself (I don't have any EOS lenses to worry about), but the Berger and Redrock sell for about $400, and the Kipon and Bower for about $150, I believe.

I have an OM Zuiko lens which internally zooms (Zuiko 75-150mm, the first zoom lens for the OM system), but it doesn't internally focus so I doubt this would be a solution for you. ;)

zuiko_75-150mm_web.

4. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    If memory serves me right, look at one of the Nikon 80-200 zooms, maybe there's an AF-D version that has what you're looking for.

• Like Like x 1
  5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Definitely go for Nikon over the Canon EF zooms. Why are you guys recommending a lens that you then need a hundreds-of-dollars electronic adapter to use on our cameras? At least recommend the FD-mount zooms. Canon made L-quality lenses back then, too. Plus, the top-end lenses of most any maker are as good as Canon's L lenses.

What focal length are you looking for? Definitely check out Nikon. The Sony A-mount has some great lenses too, like this:
    Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA SSM ( Sony SAL-1635Z ) - Full Format Review / Test Report
    Really, there are a ton of lenses. Give us a focal length range. If you want to stick with newer Nikon stuff (just get the Kipon or Voigtlander F-mount adapter that allows aperture adjustment). Just a few examples:
    14-24
    16-35
    17-35
    80-200
    70-200
    Along with third-party lenses like the Sigma 50-150 f/2.8

Do you want absolutely no extension during zooming, or is something like less than an inch OK with you?

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Maybe because we didn't know that FD mounts zoomed and focus similarly.

7. Yup, no internal zoom and focus FD lenses that I know of, which is what the OP was looking for. I've seen a couple of older, manual push-pull telephoto zooms (Tamron comes to mind) that don't move the front element when zooming, but it does move when focusing - similar to Ned's OM.

8. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    There's one native zoom lens that fits the bill: the Panny 45-175mm. Nothing moves externally when focussing or zooming.

9. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    My bad, sorry. Just checked, I could have sworn that I remember at least 20-35mm L not extending and therefore assumed others didn't as well, but I must have confused it with the later EF version. You are correct; there is no factory FD zoom lens that stays the same length. I just looked at some FD history pages.

However, I still stand by my argument that EF lenses are not worth adapting. At the price you pay for a m4/3 camera plus adapter, you might as well just buy a backup T3i. Whereas to get video with Nikon, you're either paying a buttload, giving up size advantages, for only 1080/24p (D7000) or you have crippled performance by way of no manual control (D5100, and hopefully something Nikon will fix with a firmware update).

10. chrith

chrith Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2010
    about how far does the Zuiko 75-150mm extend when focused to infinity?

11. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    My copy of the OM 75-150 it extends about 5/8 of an inch.

12. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    In case that is too much extension for you, if you get the Pentax 50-135mm, Tokina 50-135mm, or Sigma 50-150mm (all these lenses are constant f/2.8), they don't extend at all.

Also, as mentioned, the Panasonic X 45-175mm is a native lens that matches your needs, as long as the variable aperture is acceptable.

13. chrith

chrith Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2010
    The X definitely seems to be a good option. might just bite the bullet. Really trying to save some cash and since it doesnt have to be tact sharp was trying to get some legacy glass. As for zoom range starting at 28 to 50 on the wide end. the long end doesnt really matter that much as long as its ~80

14. The FD 20-35L and earlier 24-35 was in the back of my mind, but Canon didn't go big on high-end zooms until the EF mount. And no arguments here about adapting EF lenses.

15. chrith

chrith Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2010
    Just realized I have a vivitar series 1 35-80 2.8 which turns out to be internal zoom. Got it I'm a as is box for free and just forgot about it. Aperature is stuck wide open and the barrel is a mess. Glass is pretty clean though. Gonna try and get the aperture fixed and call it a day. Not sure what mount it is though. Its not m42,pk, or md. It has 2 flanges on it, any idea? I'll get a pick when I get home