Interfit Steller Xtreme 300 WS AC/DC Monolight, experience?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by So Thankful, Oct 30, 2015.

1. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
  2. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I'd probably consider 100 pops to be far too few for a full charge. Also, the fact you only get 300 pops on a minimum output (1/32) doesn't sit too well with me either, as I would have expected far, far more than that.
    Considering lowest power is 1/32, I would certainly have expected to gain much more from the battery pack than 300 pops.
    Is there any information regarding colour consistency or recycling times?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  3. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    ok, I went back and checked the recycle times.
    8-10 seconds on full power, which is just far too long. That said, it's not as worrying as the quoted recycle time on minimum, which is stated to be a full 3 seconds.
    If the head is using 1/32nd of it's available charge, I would have expected the recycle time to have been damn near instantaneous, even with the quoted full power recycle time.
    This would indicate, at least to me, that the units are discharging around a third of the capacictor when firing at 1/32.
    Not the most economical of engineering.

4. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    On a UK retailer site, it quotes the recycle time as being 2 seconds, although it doesn't indicate at what output setting.
    I would suggest a great deal more research may be needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    Michael,
    Thank you so much for your input. I have never used a battery powered Monolight before so I am not sure what to expect. I thought perhaps at this price point it may not be a great unit. It would appear more research is in order.

6. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Cheap doesn't necessarily mean bad, but it does tend to mean making compromises. Personally, I don't think I could accept the compromises this particular rig would place on me.
    10 seconds for a full recharge will basically cause the model to disengage. It's just too slow.
    The poor recycling at lower output levels hints at long flash durations, so you will find blurring on moderately quick moving subjects such as children or pets etc.
    Finally, the battery capacity would last an hour's shoot, or less!

Depending on where you are, you may want to look at Godox offerings, or the same equipment rebranded as Cheetah Stands