Interesting web stats

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by OzRay, Aug 9, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Since starting my blog, I've noticed some interesting statistics regarding the types of web browsers used by people accessing the site. First off, a screen shot of the browsers (Chrome - tan, Firefox - Dark Green, MSIE - Dark Blue, Safari - Light Blue):

Google owns the browser market in this example (but the number of versions):

Safari is surprisingly a close second (and plenty of versions):

MSIE is third but not by much (and not many versions):

Firefox is fourth (and plenty of versions):

Finally there are all the others, including phone browsers and the like (quite strong Apple flavour). What is it with all the versions?

The world has certainly changed since IE held top spot at around 95%. I use IE11 and Firefox, but find Firefox to be very slow and not as configurable. I also believe that IE is a lot safer than many people make out. I will never load Chrome, as I just don't trust Google one bit, but that's just me.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    It’s a pity that they don’t do a better job with colour management. Safari is the only browser that does it properly.
  3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I'm not sure that it really matters, most people wouldn't have a calibrated screen and screens that are able to display a full (or near enough) colour gamut tend to be very expensive.
  4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    No, it's not just you. It's you, me, and a lot of others.

I normally keep Opera, Firefox, and IE on my Win8.1 machines. On my desktop machine I rely on Opera for day-to-day browsing. On my tablet I use IE11, primarily in the "Modern" (nee Metro) mode.