1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Interesting Tom Hogan post

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by elavon, Jan 31, 2013.

1. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Tom Hogan in the article bellow is giving some interesting perspective on the system camera especially mirror less. from the number and analysis we can see that the :43: is probably the system of the future. the number are amazing in just four years the :43: is reached about half the number of lenses as Nikon and Canon.
    Now with Tamron I think the rate of new lenses introduce will accelerate.

And as said chicken lay eggs.

Lenses Define the Systems | Sans Mirror — mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan

• Like Like x 1
  2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Yep, not terribly surprising. I do think Fuji is better positioned than he thinks though:

Regular firmware updates, enthusiast level lens choices, fairly ambitious roadmap. It's not going to be a mainstream system (I mean 900$ for the 14mm 2.8? Not going to sell too many of those).

But I think they will be successful in the semi-luxury/enthusiast segment of the mirrorless world. The Leica-lite choice. Once they get some faster AF support, it really comes close to m43. Better IQ, larger sensor, lenses don't seem significantly larger.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I've long been impressed by Fuji color reproduction but I do think that :43: is better positioned for the future.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Hmmm...
    For those looking for the Leica experience but can't afford it, the Fuji system looks real good....:smile:

5. amalric

amalric  

Jul 24, 2012
    Rome. Italy
    In mirrorless m4/3 is better suited than APS, because it avoids plenty of problems at the edges due to the short register.

I am amazed that there are still people who are not aware of this. It's not only that lenses are smaller and potentially cheaper, they also give better results, with limited resolution drop at the edges.

This is v. evident with legacy M lenses. Fuji has to correct via software and adapter the aberrations, while CV UWAs have mediocre performance anyway.

6. inthecage

inthecage Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    North Ohio
    M Ferencz
    Fuji is gonna find themselves pinched in the middle of Canon and eventually Nikon mirrorless aps crop competition in the next couple of years. Both are gonna come hard and heavy. Count on a new Nikon system. Thats not a position I would like to be as a company.

M/43 has a better chance because it's different. Some can disagree but it is a smaller system than aps. It does produce images that are on par with aps.