Interesting stuff around the web this Thursday.

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by flash, May 4, 2011.

1. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    A few things that may or may not be of interest.

PMA has been cancelled. The PMA show (the largest in the US) scheduled for late this year has been cancelled. It will now be merged with CES (Consumer Electronics Show) in early 2012. I can’t say that I’m surprised, as cameras become more like computers and every device made has a camera in it. Do you think it matters. Does anyone really care? After all, even at the last Photokina the only real “buzz” was around the Fuji X100. There were announcements, but not a lot of “must haves”. It seems to be getting harder to impress a more tech savvy consumer and trade shows are the first victims.

New iMacs are here. In the digital photography world the computer can be just as important part of the process as the camera and lens and the new iMacs have been announced. The upgrades are as widely expected so if you’ve been looking forward to this then the wait is over. These things are just ridiculously powerful. New processors, better graphics cards and 2TB hard drive capacities. The 27” iMac with two thunderbolt ports is a photographers dream, if there’s ever going to be any peripherals made. The only thing I don’t like is the glossy screen. Come on Steve! Where’s the matte screen option, like the MacBook Pro I just got? Apart from the stunning industrial design the new iMacs are actually really good value, when you consider that there’s a 27” ultra high resolution IPS panel. Argue all you like about the OS (I still prefer Windows 7, even though I’m a Mac user now), the hardware is really nice.

New Sony NEX camera on the way. The NEX C3 manual appeared on a Czech website, confirming photos that had appeared a few days earlier. Looks like a nice camera with a honkin’ big flash. I hope they do something about the usability though.

The Fuji X100 is now in stock in US stores. Hopefully the rest of the world will follow soon.

The EPL-1 is no longer listed on the Olympus Australia website. Other places still have it listed. I’ve also noticed some real “hot” deals (like a camera and kit lens for AUD449.00 incl taxes). Does that mean that stocks are finally running low? Or is Olympus just removing support and leaving resellers to do it alone? I guess it’s going to be a lot harder to sell a model if it’s no longer listed as current on the manufacturers website.

4/3 Rumours is reporting that a hacker named Vitaly is closer to hacking the firmware of the GH-2. If you feel the need to get your GH-2 hacked then head over to Topics List - Personal View Talks and check it out. (via 43rumours.com)

Have a good week.

Gordon

• Like Like x 4
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm a little sad to see PMA go :frown:.

My "old" iMac just died. I think it's just the hard drive (thankfully well backed up), but it might just be time for a new iMac.

In the words of Steve Jobs, there is "One more thing..." happening today, Thursday... Hint: Look for Mu-43 in the iTunes App Store