1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Interesting Sony Rumour: Sony testing multi shot high resolution 48MP mode on the A7II

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Vinpocetine, Apr 10, 2015.

1. inthecage

inthecage Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    North Ohio
    M Ferencz
    Technology not shared is copied really fast. Particularly when most of the companies in Japan all have hands in each others business.

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Because the A7 series are Olympus-Sony hybrid cameras,
    that was obvious the minute they arrived.

3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Well, to be fair, Its not really new tech. Hasselblad did this a while ago.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wouldn't be surprised if this tech trickled from Hasselblad through Sony to Olympus. Since Hasselblad did have rebadged Sony cameras, it's not far fetched that there was some cross licensing between the companies.

5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I don't know about the medium format world, but it wouldn't surprise me if Sony made the Hasselblad sensors.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vinpocetine

Vinpocetine Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2014
    What do you feel is "Olympus" about it? Sony has long had IBIS, they inherited from Minolta who introduced it way back when. Regardless, the A7 didn't have IBIS when they were introduced. The RX1 was Sony sticking a quality FF sensor in a small (reasonably, compared to leica) affordable package, I haven't seen Olympus do that. The body looks like any number of pentaprism dslrs. If we want to talk about multi-shot... as others have mentioned, that's a Hasselblad feature.

I'm struggling to see the Olympus part of it... is it the extra axes on the IBIS in the A7ii?

7. Vinpocetine

Nov 25, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon

Does it really matter? Can we all just have our opinions? But back to your question - didn't Olympus introduced that feature in the new EM-5II? How is that not related in "some" way to Olympus? How about the 5 axis IS? Since Sony owns part of Olympus do you also feel that it had NOTHING to do with Olympus?

PS: Did Sony started experimenting with this feature right after Hasselblad introduced it or right after Olympus came out with it? I guess you are right, there isn't anything "Olympus" about it.

9. Vinpocetine

Nov 25, 2014
    Not really, no, but should we not discuss things on a discussion forum? I don't think I posted anything particularly provocative.

Which feature, the multishot thing? Yeah, Olympus did introduce that in Olympus cameras on the new EM-5II. Hasselblad did previously...

Right, I mentioned that in the last line of my post.

You know, the fellow I was responding to said that the "A7 series are Olympus-Sony hybrid cameras, that was obvious the minute they arrived."

This piqued my interest in which features led him to that conclusion, surely it can't be the 5 axis IBIS or the multishot, considering that they weren't part of the original A7/A7s/A7r line. Unfortunately your post didn't really help me understand, but thanks for the attempt! Maybe the person I was responding to will elaborate with their thoughts.

Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't be so dismissive of Ulfric's opinion, there may be things that we're not considering that led him to make that statement, and that's why I asked.

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Definitely worth discussing.
    The trouble is I don't have a convincing answer,
    just before the first A7 there was a 'merger' of sorts between Olympus and Sony's camera departments, then Sony came out with a very Olympus-like A7 almost as if the engineers had worked in the same office as the E-M5's engineers and styling designers.
    Almost all previous Sony offerings had been melted black blob DSLRs or rectangular NEX without tactile charm and a top-left EVF, or no EVF.
    Now here's an E-M5 with a 35mm sensor and some orange stripes.
    The recent 'cloned' IBIS and sensor-shift-hyperpixelism reinforces or confirms my original suspicions.
    None of this would hold up in a court of law :biggrin: but I made the posts back in the day...

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Vinpocetine

Nov 25, 2014
    Gotcha, might be one of those "more than the sum of its parts" type of things you're seeing.

Having owned both, I definitely see what you're saying, but then I start looking at the parts and I'm less convinced :).

12. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    if this is true....all i can say is "Sony...you really lack of creativity". First, you copy EM5's body looks and called it A7. Then, you've adapted 5 Axis and makes A7 II more bigger. Now this?

13. Vinpocetine

Nov 25, 2014
    It's awesome, isn't it? Best of both worlds, and in the case of the 7r, the Nikon D800e's sensor!

I wonder what other killer features Sony can rip off other flagship cameras and stuff in an EM1 sized body? All of them I hope :).

14. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Yeah and plus! ;) please invest more on lenses too, Sony.

15. macro

macro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2012
    :) So Olympus copied Canon and Nikon DSLR's then and even 35mm SLR's. Where does it end :boohoo::) :)

Danny.

16. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    ......what you said is true Danny :laugh1:, they copied each others.

17. macro

macro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2012
    Yeah I look at my ancient Canon FTB that came long before the OM1, there is only so much they can do. Minolta had IBIS long before Oly, Minolta was taken over by Sony, IBIS went with it. So according to those rules, my Oly EM10 is copying Sony !! :) OIS has been in Canon and Nikon (VR) for many years, so is Panasonic copying them ;)

Sony makes excellent sensors and to have another one in an Oly body, lets not sneeze at it.

All the best and crab it while you can. Bring on the Sony.

Danny.

• Agree Agree x 1