Interesting Observation

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bill Gordon, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Henrys Camera in Toronto are advertising all mu/43rds cameras and lenses at drastic reductions. I know that there is a strong rumour of a new model but....lenses??
    • Like Like x 1
  2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    What does a 'drastic reduction' mean to you? Like 70% reduction? Could just be a local event (i.e. single shop trying to clear out some inventory). Not sure you can necessarily generalize that to a global market. There are some new lenses rumored to come out, and there are discounts on a number of lenses going on all the time as the market saturates, but nothing I'd call 'drastic'.

I get the feeling the m4/3 market is becoming saturated a bit, and I'm not sure if we'll see a large influx on new customers unless there's some dramatic new product coming out in this format.
  3. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Well the e-P2 with kit lens is $7849.99......9-18mm is $599.99 the latter is $130.00 less than listed!

I think that they are overstocked, that people are not buying the mu4/3rds and overall sales are not doing as well as they expected. JUst my thoughts of course.
  4. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    well they've been called "the poor man's Leica" but ...
  5. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'd imagine that would be a drastic increase in price! ( it's ok Bill - just an interesting observation:rofl:
  6. Dunkeld

Dunkeld Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    Not in China.

Interesting to read that some places might be overstocked on m/43 equipment. I've lost count of the times I have called in at or telephoned shops in China trying to get basic Oly or Panny stuff. You just don't see it on shelves, even Oly or Panny dealerships are bereft of stock.

I bought my E-P2 after a struggle, gave up on the Panny 20mm, now after weeks of searching I finally found the new Voigtlander in Hong Kong, a plane ride away.

I might also add, nobody knows my camera. It's like an unknown quantity to Chinese photographers I see out and about. The majority with middle to high range Canon and Nikons are bemused to see me standing beside them shooting away with what looks to them, a toy camera or compact.