Interesting observation (to me anyhow)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tol1l1yboy, Apr 2, 2013.

1. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    I just back from Turkey and noticed something very interesting while I was there. Nearly all the tourists had cameras. Not a big surprise of course. But I saw way more DSLRs than I would have expected. Most were some variation of the entry level models from Nikon and Canon. I did see quite a few sonys too.

That isn't the interesting part. I started to pay close attention to the cameras people were shooting and especially the non compact and non dslr shooters. I saw quite a few people shooting nex cameras. Always easy to spot because of the massive silver lenses. I saw two Fuji xpro or xe1s and even a Leica m9.

Of the micro 4/3 shooters I saw a half a dozen Panasonic shooters but only one G and it was a G5. I saw a few olympus cameras but not one person was shooting an EM5 other than me. I saw a few epm1 or epm2 shooters all with the kit lens. I saw one guy shooting an epl1 with a 14mm. F/2.5 and I saw one other girl shooting and epl5 with what I believe to be the 17mm f/1.8 but couldn't get a close enough look.

It was a completely un-scientific study of course but I was shocked that I didn't see more micro 4/3 cameras and really shocked that I didn't see one other person shooting an em5. The amount of dslrs was staggering compared to the number of micro 4/3 cameras of all variants.

I knew that of the overall numbers micro 4/3 was small but i didnt expect it to be that small i guess. The system has a long way to go to make in-roads in the market but ten years from now I wonder if the average person will be still using an entry level DSLR or will it be micro 4/3.
  2. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    That's probably because most places push the DSLRs, esp Canikons. Even the pro store in my area, which is an Olympus dealer, pushes Canikons unless the buyer asks about m4/3.
  3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    The last time I was in Williamsburg, VA, another tourist walked up to me, asked me if I could take a photo of he and his female partner, and handed me his Nex with that "massive silver lens" and I was somewhat impressed. It was the first time I had handled a Nex and I was very surprised at its weight (mostly that lens I think).
  4. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    While I didn't exactly observe the opposite, I notice an ever growing number of MIL/EVIL-cameras, and can't quite share the OP's observation.
    Sure, the entry level DSLR might be a majority still, but especially Asian tourists which we get LOTS here, and of those especially women, usually carry an E-P(L) or NEX, Panasonic not so much.
    While I think the m4/3-system was more for enthusiasts and the ambitioned amateur at first, it's now considered a worthy alternative to a bulky DSLR and promoted by salesmen in electronic stores as such. I came to that conclusion because 9 out of 10 MIL-users have the kit lens mounted, which to me seems that they got it instead of an entry/mid-range DSLR (which most often are used with kit lens) because of size/weight and without suffering a loss in IQ. Also, let's not forget that Olympus' electronic PENs are awesome designs. Maybe that's why I only see silver and white models and hardly ever black.
    I'm from Europe, Vienna to be precise, downtown to be even more precise, where there are more tourists than locals, and on my daily walks I see a broad compilation of nearly every camera available on the market. There are loads of Leicas, FF-DSLRs, analog MF-kits, you name it. There is even the odd guy standing with his 8x10 and a tripod.
    There's so much to choose from nowadays - exciting times. :thumbup:
  5. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    That was my observation also in Peru, including Macchu Picchu just this past November. 90% of the cameras were dslrs, including a few 1st gen DReb's, the NEX's outnumbered the m43's by far.

Day to day here in Ottawa, I rarely see a m43 camera but lots of dslrs, and the occasional NEX.
  6. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Our local Costco keeps two massive displays of entry level Canons and Nikons near the front entrance. I think many see the logical progression up = cell, then point and shoot, and finally to the full DSLR, believing the 'best pictures' are produced by the largest cameras.
  7. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    with the fast extinction of the "camera" store, the easiest alternative to camera purchases are Best Buy, Costco, and (gulp), Ritz Camera. These places all have the Canon and Nikon in full display before you even walk into the store. Best Buy and that other place also have some of the other manufacturers. But I think that the fact you can actually pick up the cameras and play with them at BB makes them so much more mainstream. Also, Canon and Nikon dSLR flavors have been around for so much longer. I admit I was ignorant to m4/3 as a Canon shooter. I only discovered them when looking for a new camera that would be lighter but versatile. I went to Penn Camera, before they closed up in my area, to check out the Canon G11 and walked out with the E-Pl1 kit. Haven't looked back since.
  8. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    I know nothing about Turkey as the OP spoke of, but in the U.S. I have to agree with the members here referencing Costco or other big-box stores. Most of the public at large thinks bigger is better, and that an SLR takes good pictures. Of course dSLRs do make good pictures, as do m4/3 and little P&S cameras... as long as the photographer can also make good images.
  9. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Most people would blindly get a Canikon because they are bigger (so they must be better), so no surprise there. With Sony's marketing reach, I'm also not surprised that they get most mirrorless-newbies. I have not seen an em-5 and even any of panasonic's higher end models in any of the bestbuys I've been to so I don't expect them to be on anyone's hands unless those hands belong to someone that actually knows what to buy.

I think this is the reason why Canon refuses to release a competitive mirrorless camera. Their cameras are selling as it is, so why bother?
  10. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Did you noticed a lot of them shooting their DLSRs in full auto with the pop up flash up and flashing away?

I have seen so many shooting DSLRs using live view on my europe trip it wasn't funny. During the trip I didn't get my e-m5 yet so I was shooting my 7D. I saw a few 7Ds many times with the 24-70 and the user backing into people, things, bushes to get a shot cause 24 just isn't that wide on a crop.To me it suggests someone just brought stuff because others says it's good. Only once did I see a 24-105 attached to a 5D2, the right IMO travel combo if you are going to use a 24 zoom.

At my local bestbuy/futureshop they don't even have an e-m5 on display. It's really a camera for either people who knows of it and why it is good or were directed by friends who do.
  11. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Just like driving a 911 twin turbo with automatic trans :clapping:
  12. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    My parents were in Istanbul at the time, so I can assure you that there was at least one OM-D on the streets. I think the problem is that micro 4/3 cameras are too stealthy and discreet. They snap and fade away like ninjas, while bulky DSLRs smash their way through the crowds leaving a trail of bruises in their wake.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk HD
  13. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    When I'm travelling I usually carry with the 14-42 because of it's versatility. But that doesn't mean I don't have any other lenses

I agree with you about that I hardly see other people using an OM-D. To be honest I've to admit that I've never seen physically an OM-D

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
  14. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I noticed the same trend on my Hawaii trip last year. I was checking out all the cameras, and saw only a couple of µ43 and many, many DSLRs.

tol1l1yboy, how about some pictures from your trip?
  15. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    They are coming i assure you. I took 40gb of images. 2 16gb cards were from the em5. I tend to shoot 3 of everything i shoot so it is really more like 15 gb of separate images but still a lot to cull.

Got back sunday night and had to work Monday morning so i havent even unpacked. Slowly but surely ill start posting my favorites :)
  16. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've noticed two things - in places where you would expect a large amount of photographers, such as events, I see a good amount of m4/3 representation. For example when I went to the cyclocross worlds and nearly everybody in attendance was either chugging beer or snapping shots of the action, lots of mirrorless cameras around. Mind you, when I say "lots" I probably mean 1 in 5 at best ... but "just anywhere" they are almost invisible. It lends some credence to the notion that you have to know just a bit before you'd even really consider a m4/3 setup (since without a base knowledge you may not even know they exist).

I saw my first (and only) E-M5 recently on a bus trip from Pittsburgh to Washington, D.C. - it solidified for me that that was too small a body for me (personally) to use as a primary. Now until someone pops up with a GH3 in hand for me to test drive ...
  17. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Unfortunately, your result is not surprising. When I was looking around for an interchangeable lens camera earlier this year, I kept hearing Nikon D3100 or Canon T3i. But when I went saw one up close, I was reminded of the bulk - the reason I no longer use an SLR.

I also considered the Nikon ILC but its sensor is too small. I also considered the NEX but the price was higher and I found the smallish camera bodies with the gigantic lenses looked odd.

I subscribe to several photo mags and I had seen many positive reviews of the EM5, but ultimately went with the G3 based on price. One thing I was really surprised to find is how little time most professional reviews spend talking about the 5-way IBIS of the EM5 and the results that it provides. It was only after joining this forum and seeing some of the spectacular results that I realized what an amazing camera it is. Both Panny and Oly need to spend some money advertising mu43. Oly in particular needs to extol the virtues of the EM5.
  18. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Ritz Camera is no more I'm afraid. I have been shooting m4/3 for over a year including an EPM2. There was one store in town (Nashville) that had a GX1 on display and no stores with any Olympus. I have bought all my stuff online and have never seen an EM5 in person. At one time I was a district manager for Wolf Camera (Ritz), and they did carry a few low end Pens and a couple of NEX's.
  19. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    When I'm out in the warmer months in Downtown Toronto I do see PENs in the tourist shopping areas.
  20. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Ten years from now the "average person" will be using a camera purchased from the seller that has the lowest price on any given model that largely appeals to the buyer to be the best compromise between budget constraints and the perception of a particular make and model that will provide the best images without spending too much time "fiddling" with it.