1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Interesting observation on 5-axis IBIS noise

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, Jan 26, 2014.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    For those with an E-M5, E-P5 or E-M1, I'm sure you're familiar with the slight hissing/whirring noise that emanates from the IBIS. Well, I'm not really into video but I did do a little over this last weekend and was surprised to find that the hissing wasn't apparent on the footage. On going back to the camera and checking, it's clear that the hissing sound is much reduced when in video mode. Its effectiveness doesn't seem diminished, so I'm wondering why it's so much noisier in stills mode.

Has anyone else observed this?, or even better, knows why there's a difference?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think the hissing is from the spinning gyroscope. In video mode the stabilisation characteristics are quite different, so I imagine they can afford to not spin up the gyro so much?

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You might be right, but I would have thought keeping the gyro upright was necessary no matter how the stabilisation characteristics are set. A slower gyro would cause tumbling wouldn't it?

4. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    What lens were you using.

If I put my 75-300 on the camera, not only do I hear the gyro, but as I'm lifting the camera up to my eye after touching the shutter button I can hear the sensor frantically compensating for all of the moment. It sounds hilarious... clickle'dy' clackle, whirrrrrr whirrrrrr... It kinda reminds me of the old Nikkor 24-120 with the first VR version.

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Voice coil magnets, not gyro!