1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Interesting, My E-P3 "odometer" rolled over.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by KBeezie, Jul 3, 2016.

1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    So decided to check out the shutter count on my E-P3 (I remember it being around 34,000 when I last used it a year ago).

Ended up with zero count, with 3 ultrasonic cleans.

HwqQe8Zh.

Popped the card in, shot one picture, and re-did it to see 1 shutter shot, with 6 total ultrasonic cleans.

Dvl6HoNh.

... did I just roll the odometer on my E-P3? (had it since late 2011).

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Did you update firmware recently?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Mu-43 app

3. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Only a couple months back when I was just going thru the motion of checking for firmware updates on bodies and lens. But I shot about 150 images on it a few days ago.

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Is the clock working right?

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

5. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Yep, got the correct date/time in there.

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Then all I can think of is some sort of glitch... the shutter count should go into the hundreds of thousands, and even if it rolled over, I wouldn't expect the cleaning cycles to roll over at the same time.

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Maybe the camera wants to turn over a new leaf (shutter).

8. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    *snickers*

Would be interesting to have a body based leaf shutter...

I'm thinking glitch somehow as well. In a way, hopefully not one that's easily repeated from a buyer point of view.

I've heard firmware updates blanking out the serial number on some bodies, but not erasing it's shutter count.

9. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Not sure about m43, but the Olympus E1 would reset on firmware updates. I don't recall that happening with m43 though.

Could be that it sat idle for so long with no battery that it reset. Internal battery and memory depleted charge.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Mu-43 app

10. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

No, what would be interesting would be to have the actual shutter (or a separate shutter) to close when camera powers off, to protect the sensor from dust etc. Something like a, umm, mirror box or something ;)

Anyway, very bad sign if the sutter count has reset. Just as bad for buying used camera bodies as for people buying clocked cars, you don't know what you're getting! A f/w upgrade should not do this, bad job on Oly's end if it did. This data should not be sitting in the same NVRAM region as camera settings...

11. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    While I did have to reset the time several months back when I charged a battery for the firmware update. I did not think that would be affected even with the internal charge depleted since it uses an NVRAM (Non-Volatile) storage for that information, which is not affected by the loss of power (like your flash drives). Date/Time/Settings etc would be reset, but not that, otherwise your firmware would go *poof* too.

Since I don't plan on selling the E-P3 that in itself wasn't a concern, but seeing as I just purchased a used E-M5 (not yet delivered) with 2,400 acutations, it got me thinking bout 'what if'. Though on my screen its mostly zero'd out on the E-P3, despite that I have shot 150+ shots only a few days back, surely there would have been more US Cleans, or actuations, or even IBIS counts when I had it on.

What I do know is that between shooting 150+ pictures on Thursday/Friday (and the :
    - The battery in the camera was good, as I would pop out the one from the day and charge it while popping in a fully charged battery.
    - I have not done a firmware upgrade or plugged it into the computer
    - I have not checked out the hidden menu until the photos shown above
    - The first time I Checked it, there was no card in the camera (which shouldn't have an impact either way)
    - The second time, when I took one test shot I obviously put the card in.
    - The Lens mounted on the camera during both times was a Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 (which again shouldn't impact those counts), and the lens I was using during shooting on thurs/friday was the Oly 12/2.0 and 45/1.8.
    - There was no droppage or rough handling.

The current firmware on the E-P3 is 1.5 which I performed several months back up from 1.4.

12. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Right, so if it was indeed a glitch, it could be that the camera read 0 because of an error, but then added to the zero and wrote the new value. Like, were this an airplane flight recorder, people would get sacked.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Mu-43 app

13. djtaylor7

djtaylor7 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2013
    Would be interesting to see if page 4 shows up any faults.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Mu-43 app

14. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I actually went over to that and it was blank. (had the exact same thought when I saw zeros on page 2)

I shot about 290 pictures since yesterday. So I went into the hidden menu and on page 2 I now have :

R: 287
    S: 0
    C: 0
    U: 33
    V: 0
    B: 22
    L: 0

Page 4 is just blank after D:

Page 1 if it has any relevance is
    B: 1000 U: 1500 0000 1400 000
    C: 0000 A: ---- L: 1100 100A ---- ----
    F: ----
    M: 1340 0000 0000

The firmware is 2.1

So yea... not sure why it became zero'd out, but seems to be incrementing from that point.

15. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Perhaps it stores the number of exposures as a signed 16-bit integer, which has a maximum value of 32,767? This does rather remind me of Roald Dahl's "Matilda".

16. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Wouldn't it be unlikely that the shutter count and cleaning cycle count both turned over to 0 at the same time?

17. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

It would be a waste of memory to use signed for a counter. Even crap embedded programmers know better. Also for shutters rated in the 100k actuation range, 16-bit is a little bit too little I think :)

Sent from my STV100-4 using Mu-43 app

18. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Plus What's the point of having a 6 digit space if it can only store 32,767 ? I concur, that would be far too little, plus why would everything else zero out.

• Agree Agree x 1