Interesting MIrrorless Action shootout

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by GBarrington, May 25, 2014.

1. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    A few observations from myself on the em1.

Continuous AF with tracking works for things that move in predictable ways. A baby on a swing or just a in door baby swing thing seem to confused the camera when it changes direction. On 6 fps I'll get a a few OOF frames when the swing switch direction. I don't have my 7Ds now to test against but I do wonder if this is only a problem for Oly or if most cameras have this issue.

The lack of info about whether you are on the PDAF points or not when using C-AF with m43 lens kind of defeats the purpose a bit. I want to know where to keep my subject in the frame to get best possible results for action.
  2. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Phase detection auto-focus is only used with the 4/3 lenses all the time and when using m4/3 you need to use C-AF+TR mode. Then it will track target movement with PDAF but focus with a CDAF.

And typically Olympus autofocus in its lenses has been designed for targets coming toward camera, instead going away. So swing when direction changes from toward to backward you get few frames out of focus?

I still have some problems to get tracking to stay on subject, unless it has very clear contrast against background like red car against green forest.

And for depending situation, I have found 9-point is best to many very fast subjects but small AF point for predictable ones.
  3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    FY - there is an existing thread on that video.