Interesting GX8 vs FF

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Robstar1963, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
  2. shermanshen

shermanshen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    Those samples at iso 6400 are very surprising!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    At 6400 iSo the 750 is way noisier in that shot.
  4. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    He said he processed them. I bet he knows how to process m43 files better than FF.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. JonVdG

JonVdG Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 2, 2016
    Colorado, USA
    Interesting results, but not all that surprising. I've shot high-end DSLRs for years (mostly Sony and Nikon) and when I picked up my first M43 camera, I was seriously impressed. I'm now making gallery quality 12x16 inch prints that can't be beat by full frame sensors. I've found that with good glass, M43 excels and I'm beginning to believe the marketing claim that designing for digital from scratch really makes a difference. In fact, the GX8 has pushed me over the edge and I'm selling off my entire DSLR rig. I see a bright future for M43 if this continues, and this new sensor may be a turning point.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    would be nice, but I'm not buying the noise comparison. The d750 produces very clean images. Something skewing that test. A 5dm2 I'd believe, but not a d750. Still, close enough for most uses.
  7. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Rob Campbell
    In this particular case, the images were favorable. It would be more telling in different lighting conditions, different levels of darkness, etc.

The test I'd have liked to have seen would be an ISO equivalence test. Shoot a dark scene at ISO 800 then push the exposure +3-+5 stops. The D750'd be much cleaner, I think. But then, it's almost twice the price of the GX8.

Going to DPReview's D750 review:

Nikon D750 Review

You can select the GX8 as the target comparison and play around. It does do pretty well on the darker image at ISO 6400 (click the bulb to add a darker shadow in top the corner). The D750's still cleaner.

the ISO invariance tests only let you push the GX8 by 1 stop compared to 3 for the D750. It's on the next page if anyone cares to look.

tl;dr I didn't think this test proved anything.
  8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't think this is a very realistic test. I have a collection of M43 and FF cameras. I have a D600 and Sony A7 which have the same 24mp sensor as the D750 and the ability to pull up details in shadows or save blown highlights when shooting raw is pretty crazy. With my E-M5 II, I really have to be careful with exposures in comparison due to less leeway.

I honestly think FF sensors are better, but then I remember cameras are a sum of their parts and many shots I get with my E-M5 II are only possible because of the lenses/size factor of the M43 system! :D
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    I prefer to see SOOC shots compared.

However, regardless of the result, the fact that we have to push ISOs quite high and then crop 100% to see differences (regardless of which camera comes out ahead at that point) is proof enough that M4/3 is a very viable alternative to FF DSLRs.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, of that's really what the 20Mp sensor has to offer, then I'll withdraw everything I've said about it not being an upgrade to the older 16Mp one!
  11. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    From what I've seen, people haven't sung great praises about the new sensor. It's not bad, in fact it's great, but it's not a huge leap forward (which makes me happy about sticking with the 16MP sensor, which, by the way, was a big step forward from the 12 before). From what I've been reading, the new 20MP gives you a third of a stop of DR improvement apparently, and otherwise comparable IQ...gonna need more than that to run out and upgrade. :)