1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'Interesting Comparison Of Sizes & Weights'

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by RT_Panther, Dec 10, 2011.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    • Like Like x 4
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    What those comparisons to the DSLRs fail to show is just how much thicker the DLSR bodies are than the GH2. The total volume of the GH2 body is significantly less than the Sony and Nikon DSLRs.

And what the comparison to all three fail to show is the size of a comparable body and lens combination. The GH2 + 14-140 is dramatically smaller than a DSLR or NEX + an 18-200 class lens. Ditto the 14-42 vs an 18-55 APS-C lens.

But I assume the people on the "other" forum know that, but just have an axe to grind. The DSLR crowd loves to take any opportunity to "show" that m43 cameras aren't really much smaller than DSLR bodies, so they compare the biggest m43 body against the smallest DSLR bodies, without lenses, to "prove" their point.

3. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Comparisons seem straightforward

I just went to the site and picked the two cameras I wished to compare. It seems as though they give pretty good information.

• Pentax K-5 is 14% (15.8 mm) wider and 16% (13.4 mm) taller than Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3.
    • Pentax K-5 is 56% (26.3 mm) thicker than Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3.
    • Pentax K-5 [740 g] weights 94% (358 grams) more than Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 [382 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

Pentax K-5 dimensions: 131x97x73 mm (camera body only)
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 dimensions: 115.2x83.6x46.7 mm (camera body only)

4. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I second that. When I compared the GH2 to the Pentax K-x, the GH2 with the 20mm pancake was slimmer than the K-x body alone. The bag that was good for K-x + one lens now holds my GH2 + 3 lenses which is basically my complete :43: system.

5. I've often heard the comment that "If I was going to get a camera like the GHx I'd just get a DSLR because they're about the same size anyway", or somesuch. As you say though, when it comes to carrying around a kit, the difference between a GH + lenses and a DSLR + lenses is substantial.

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Nic, the people who say that are generally people who don't have any experience beyond point and shoots. Those who do realize how much difference a few tenths of an inch more in each dimension and a few more ounces for each camera body and lens can make - particularly when considering the total package you might be carrying around on any given occasion.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    From the comparison...

"■Nikon D3100 is 1% (0.8 mm) thinner than Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2."

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Your assumption is incorrect. The "other" forum is a Micro Four Thirds forum :smile:

9. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    It is not.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    So you're saying the site is not accurate :confused:

11. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Yes, I am.

Sorry, I don't have side-by-side shots, but Nikon has the longest flange distance of all modern 35mm camera systems. The D3100 body alone is about as thick as the GH2 with the 20mm pancake mounted.

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    From the manufacturer websites:
    Nikon | Imaging Products | Specifications - Nikon D3100
    (W/H/D) Approx. 124 x 96 x 74.5 mm (4.9 x 3.8 x 2.9 in.)

Panasonic DMC-GH2KS - LUMIX GH2K 16 Megapixel Compact System Camera 3X 14-42 mm Standard Zoom Lens Kit - Technical Specifications
    (W/H/D) 124 x 89.6 x 75.8mm / 4.88 x 3.53 x 2.98 in (excluding protrusions)

Looks to me like the Nikon is thinner (based on true manufacturers dimenstions) & the website is also accurate.

13. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    This is just plain wrong. I've just measured my GH2 and it's 68 mm deep including the EVF protrusion and 60mm deep without the EVF protrusion but including hand-grip. If I exclude both, the body is just 37mm deep including the lens mount.

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Those dimensions are straight from PANASONIC & NIKON websites.(check for yourself)...Don't know what else to tell you except to take it up with corporate :smile:

15. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Well, it seems Panasonic can't even mesure their cameras properly :) I trust my ruler more than their website.

Anyway, two cameras shown to scale:

rD87NWbp2HN2oO5jzLd2.

You can argue that the GH2 body is about the same depth (including the protruding EVF), but the whole package is still much more compact.

16. I'm glad that there is still at least one m4/3 camera body available that is approximately sized like a DSLR for the sake of handling and ergonomics. As long as it uses m4/3 lenses it is still way out in front of any equivalent DSLR for size and weight.

17. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Yes, the lenses are both smaller and closer to the sensor.

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    The closeness of sizes illustrates exactly why I'm partial to Olympus - If I want a "hump", I'll get my DSLR....:smile:
    (Also, I side with corporate dimenstions rather than your picture)

19. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Did you measure from the forward-most portion if the grip-the bottom-to the rearward-most portion of the EVF?

These big companies use a Coordinate Measuring Machine with a motorised and automated electronics touch trigger probe that allows for a typical system accuracy of +/- 1 micron (1×10-6 [one-millionth] of a meter).

20. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    But is there a tipping point that makes the DSLR a better balanced body for certain focal lengths?

This is not a rhetorical question, but being asked out of curiosity as I have not yet purchased any tele-zooms such as the Panny 100-300, which looks huge.

Is it like mounting a white L lens to a Rebel?