1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Interesting comparison of rectilinear ultrawides vs. defishing the Samyang

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by speltrong, Apr 15, 2012.

1. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    • Like Like x 4
  2. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    That's an interesting article, thanks for sharing. I've been considering the little 7.5; I wonder what program he used to de-fish. Fisheye Hemi is so hot right now, but it seems like (s)he didn't use that one for comparison...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Canada
    I was following a thread on dpreview awhile back and the author was kind enough to allow downloading of the fisheye image at full res. Putting it through the Fisheye Hemi plugin revealed surprisingly little loss of details towards the edges compared to traditional de-fishing algorithms. Conclusion - Fisheye Hemi and the Samyang 7.5mm is a viable combo for getting a rectalinear ultrawide image.

Here is the dpreview thread:
    Fisheye [Page 1]: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

• Like Like x 1
  4. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I'd imagine it'd be difficult to frame shots properly without seeing exactly what you're getting - the most interesting things happen at the edges of an ultrawide, so it would suck to lose them if you don't frame your image spot-on. That being said, it's $300 where the Panny is between $800-$1000 depending on the day, so there's that :)

[edit] - just noticed that the defished version didn't lose any vertical height, so it would be viable for when the 7 just isn't wide enough (and I can't move back)

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Defishing can certainly produce some dramatic images, but the distortion in the corners is going to exist no matter what defishing software you use. I think that if the time and location permits you'd get better result by taking multiple shots and stiching, but that's not always an option.

I wonder. Is there software that will take a panoramic image and "re-fish" it into a curvilinear image?

6. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I suppose you could compress it to the right aspect ratio and map it on a dome in a 3D software package, or maybe spherize it in Photoshop...

7. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Canada
    Yes ptgui can take a rectilinear image and convert it to a spherical one.

8. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    I haven't used a fish eye before but am shocked how wide the samyang is compared to the 9mm... the samyang looks like it would be a great fun lens