1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Intel Core i5 4200u

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by L0n3Gr3yW0lf, Sep 14, 2015.

1. L0n3Gr3yW0lf

L0n3Gr3yW0lf Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    Romania
    Ovidiu
    I'm interested if this Intel Core i5 4200u CPU can handle Lightroom and Photoshop at decent (not having to wait seconds for the changes to apply to an Panasonic GX7 16MP RAW image) speed. I'm interested in buying an Asus X550LB-XX003D which comes with the above mentioned CPU, 8GB of RAM, GeForce GT 740 2GB DDR3 and 1TB 5400 rpm HDD (I do have an 120GB SSD). The screen is a bit of a lack luster (1366*768, TN glossy panel with 50% sRGB accuracy). I'm interested in portability, image storing and editing (nothing at professional level though) and play Minecraft and World of Tanks.

So it's either this notebook (I can have it for 400$) or completely overhaul my (very old) PC. meaning I will use only the screen (no better then the laptop one), the hard drive and the computer case, everything else has to be changed.

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Getting only 50% of sRGB is pretty scary, in my experience everything is going to look like mud and editting pictures will be a nightmare.
    IIRC that's less gamut than an average three colour (plus black, CMYK) consumer desktop printer can deliver.

3. L0n3Gr3yW0lf

L0n3Gr3yW0lf Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    Romania
    Ovidiu
    About the same model (different specifications): http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-X550LB-NH52-Notebook.115616.0.html

"Color space reproduction is not great and encompasses less than 50 % of the sRGB color space. Again, the display performance (or lack thereof) is not out of the ordinary for the class and fairly comparable to the other two notebooks we mentioned earlier."

vssrgb.

4. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I don't see it being a problem using 16mp raws and would doubt you would get much better for the money if you must have a laptop. I would suggest you pick up an external screen, checking the max resolution the HDMi port can do, it need not be that expensive I got a used HP 24" IPS for £50 and it is quite high on its sRGB colour space. You may get better with desk top performance wise but if you want portability its moot. I say go for it unless you can swing for a more powerful machine and use a larger external screen for editing at home.