Insuring your camera gear - OM-D + 3 lenses + Grip etc.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RuffDraft, May 27, 2013.

1. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Hi All,

I'm suffering from 'I-Can't-Replace-My-Camera-If-It-Gets-Damaged-In-Any-Way-Itis'. It's a terrible condition which means that I refrain from taking my camera out with me for any old occasion and I've realised that it's now time to insure my camera equipment as a result, so that I can go out and enjoy my OM-D and all other lenses.

That said, can anyone recommend a place to insure your camera and gear? I think I have up to £3000 worth.

OM-D + 12-50mm - £1250
    Pana 25 1.4 £400+
    Oly 12mm £500+
    Oly 45mm £200+
    Oly grip £200+
    2 batteries
    Filters etc.

If anyone can recommend some top tips or refer me to a thread where this has been discussed, I'd appreciate it.

I reside in the UK.

Thanks. :2thumbs:

2. Damien

Damien Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 9, 2013
    I just use my regular renters insurance and have a rider covering the camera gear.
    It covers my cameras while I'm out of my home for something like 2-3 days, so if I go somewhere they're still covered.

3. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Thanks Damien, I've never insured anything before. So I'm looking for an independent company that would actually replace or fix anything that goes wrong with my camera.

I've seen some for £70+ a year, which isn't bad and covers up to £5000. But I thought I'd ask here for more help with my choices. :thumbup:

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Look for a Uk camera forum, maybe? I have all my gear insured against accidental damage/theft with a deductible of 200 euros, and reimbursement at replacement cost rather than used value. Haven't needed it, but I wouldn't want to be without it. I have pricey gear, but its useless to me at home.

5. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    I have been with photoguard for many years and been very happy with the service.

They are UK based, not sure how much your £3k will be as I have more insured and also have about 6 years no claims discount with them.

I have all my Nikon, Elinchrom and M43 gear insured with them.

Camera Insurance | Photography & Digital Camera Insurance | Photoguard

6. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Thanks for this, did you call them to organise your insurance with them?