Insulated/Waterproof Winter Boots

barry

Super Moderator
Regarding quality...

My everyday (literally, over 360 days a year) shoe is the Timberland Annapolis boat shoe (https://www.timberland.com/shop/mens-earthkeepers-annapolis-2-eye-moc-toe-boat-shoes-74013214)... I have some in leather, and some in mixed suede/canvas.
I have had zero failures of these in at least 13 years; I just wear out the soles after a few years (and they do get some scratches on the leather due to my clumsiness). I have noticed a slight decline in cosmetic quality in the last year or two; the leather may appear harder/less flexible especially over the toes, and be more prone to distortion (cosmetic) there, however you can spot it before purchase.
The 2 canvas/suede pairs I have worn so far are also fine, but they get grass stains, etc. on the canvas and suede and are harder to clean than smooth leather.
I've dunked the leather ones in seawater several times, and found that flushing them with clean water and letting them dry gets them looking presentable again.

BTW, one of the reasons I like shoes like this is my feet get hot and sweaty in most shoes and socks, and I can wear these without socks.

Other Timberland experiences:
Boots:
I bought a pair of Timberland full-on boots (like this https://www.timberland.com/shop/mens-boots/mens-6-inch-premium-waterproof-boots-wheat-10061024) for a desert shooting trip. My feet are size 12.5 but no one makes half-sizes over 12 so I have to choose 12 or 13... the Annapolis fit fine in 12's, but I had to go with 13 on the boots. They were too loose, and gave me a bunch of blisters after 3 days on foot in the desert.
I went back to the store, and they accepted them in return for store credit. (note they said that is not their standard policy to accept returns of worn and dusty shoes, but they did it. Also note this was an outlet/'factory store' and those often have a lower level of service than other retail.)

They were also hot and sweaty and made me not want to ever wear full boots again.

Hiking shoes (low-rise boots?):
I had a pair of Timberland hiking boots (similar to ones at https://www.timberland.com/shop/mens-hiking-boots-shoes) in my closet for many years. Not sure if I ever wore them and certainly not more than a few days. I got them out of the closet in preparation for my Feb 2019 Wisconsin trip. I decided to wear them for a day to make sure they don't hurt my feet... I drove to the store to look for a backpack... within a minute the heel detached on one shoe, and a few minutes later the whole sole. Turns out the foamy rubber mid-sole had hardened and pretty much disintegrated when I started walking on it.
Note I do not really Timberland for this; I've had it happen as well with a pair of New Balance running shoes that sat brand-new in the closet for years... it's just the nature of the squishy materials.
I took them to the outlet in February, and they gave me over $75 credit, without complaint. I used that towards another pair of similar shoes (men's version of the White Ledge; only the Women's version is on their site atm: https://www.timberland.com/shop/womens-white-ledge-mid-waterproof-hiking-boots-12668214)

Other shoes:
Before I discovered the Timberland Annapolis line, I used to just wear regular boat shoes (mostly Sperry Top-Siders). I switch to Timberland boat shoes (e.g. https://www.timberland.com/shop/mens-boat-shoes) as they have a much softer insole or midsole and more arch support.
However, a problem I've always had with shoes like this is if I stub the toe of the shoe on a curb, either I scuff the leather toe, or, occasionally, rip the stitching holding the sole to the shoe (that's happened to me catastrophically at least twice across at least 2 brands, and non-catastrophically several more times on the Sperrys). The last time it happened was with a pair of Timberland boat shoes, and they were ruined (again, not Timberland's fault, it's just a design flaw with traditional boat shoes if you're prone to hitting curbs). I took them back to the outlet; they noted they were a bit worn but still let me exchange them for something else.
At this point, I noticed the Annapolis line (only available in summer) which has the sole wrapping over the toe and heel, and is virtually immune to my clumsiness.

Long story short, I've had zero tangible quality problems, but their staff have still been accommodating when I've had issues even if they were my fault. I wouldn't rule Timberland out over quality.

Here are some insulated Timberland boots. I haven't worn them, I don't know how warm they are, and I don't see any mention about ice.

Comments:
Now might be a good time to scour outlets and clearance racks, as springwear will be coming soon.

I'm not sure it's cold enough in Puget Sound to need the more extreme temperature options mentioned by other users, but it'll depend on how good your circulation is, etc.
You can also get foot and hand heaters at most sporting goods stores... maybe you'd be too hot when moving around and might only want the heaters when still?

I have never had a pair of shoes that I've been happy with on ice.
This is including the Timberland White Ledge... when I was in Wisconsin it was snowing hard the first night (and I had no trouble stomping through 12+ inches of fresh snow; my ankles above the shoes got a bit wet but my feet never did), but the second night (after the snow had started to melt and re-freeze) I found a few places that hadn't been salted and were quite slippery.
However, I've never sought out anything specifically designed for ice.
I was in an ice-storm in the Tacoma area in Feb 2017 and was told they are extremely rare there, so maybe you have less concerns about ice?

Some of Timberland's boots look nice enough to wear for business travel (in bad weather), if you're not expected to wear a suit. I was in Wisconsin on business, and no one (including the sales suits) criticized my shoes.
Note however that I'm in IT and ymmv. One of my co-workers at the customer site was wearing sneakers.
In some ways I envy women who can easily fit espadrilles in their carry-on; if I put any shoes other than flip-flops/thongs or slippers into my carry on, it is practically full. Anyways, this gives me a good excuse not to have to take a second pair of shoes for business travel.
I always walk around and take pictures at night when traveling in an urban environment, and wearing dress shoes would have made that impossible in the Wisconsin blizzard.

E2121864 Wisconsin sign billboard snow.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(I stomped through much deeper snowdrifts later in the evening)

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
It is late, and snowing, and I have to be up very early tomorrow morning, so I am going to write up a quick post so I can get to bed. First, a big thank you to everybody who has provided me with useful information. I have been looking at many of the brands mentioned in the post, and my brain is currently over saturated. I do want some warm boots as my feet were quite cold last month when I was out standing around waiting for eagles up on the Nooksack River, and it was not even a cold day. I have somewhat poor circulation as well as a bit of neuropathy in my feet as a result of chemotherapy drugs a few years ago (chemotherapy - the gift that keeps on giving) so even though it is not always cold in the PNW, my body needs all of the help it can get at times.

Second, we are supposed to be clobbered this week with cold (for PNW lowlands) temperatures and several days of snow (which started a few hours ago). I decided to see if I could get something earlier this week in anticipation of the bad weather, but both boots that I picked up are not really cutting it for me. I could probably get the Kamik's to work, but they are not ideal, and as was mentioned above, I do not want to have to buy several pairs of boots to find the Goldilocks pair.

I am sure I can get through the week with what I have (and warmer socks), but it is frustrating as most of these boots are only available by mail order, and I hate having to do a "mail order fishing expedition" to find what I need. I am sure there are a number of workable options without having to break the bank, and my guess is that I will finally find what I need after the weather gets better.

Thanks,

--Ken

hias

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Hias
If it helps... I use my usual hiking boots (Lowa camino GTX) and change the inlays for sheepskin inlays during winter. And just wear ski socks, sometimes a second pair of merino socks when not walking too much and it has less than minus 20 C. Dirt cheap and works just fine.

twigboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thank you for these replies. Typical of the age of the internet and off shore production, I did consider some of the above suggestions, but ended up a bit muddled. It seems that old, solid name brands, like Timberland and Sorel, have moved a lot of their production to cheaper factories and lots of former owners now say that quality has plunged. I did see the Irish Setter brand under Red Wing, but was not too familiar with it, so it is good to hear good comments. One of the boots that I am considering are Kamik Hunters. They seem warm, but like many waterproof boots of today, there are a lot of complaints about eventual cracking in the rubber. I am willing to take a chance on that, but somebody also pointed out that there are no insoles in these boots and the bottom of the liner eventually does compress, leaving your feet unsupported. That could be an issue when standing around for long period of time.

--Ken

Yup. I have the Kamik's. Warm enough when moving in sub-freezing weather, but I can last in 20's F all day stationary -- just uncomfortable, but no frostbite. Don't stuff the socks tight, your toes need to move. The rubber transmits cold darn fast from snow/ice. I find that insulated pants and upper body insulation helps keep the feet warm also. The lack of support with these boots is very uncomfortable for walking long, so I do use rigid insoles with them (when I remember to put them in). The rubber lasts years -- but I did have one leak, maybe due to extreme brush busting that year. But at about $40 US vs. 3 or 4 times that for big brand name....

I find leather boots too much maintenance and not really any warmer. I do have an old LaCrosse pair, a double-lined affair, sort of like L.L. Bean boots (leather and rubber). Heavy but much better for the really cold.

Real Name
Andrew L
Keep in mind the uber-cold-weather boots that have been mentioned are going to be real clodhoppers to walk around in. Insulated hunting boots are made to cover long distances in, so they have a comfort advantage. Less insulation, but less bulky.

Phocal

God
Keep in mind the uber-cold-weather boots that have been mentioned are going to be real clodhoppers to walk around in. Insulated hunting boots are made to cover long distances in, so they have a comfort advantage. Less insulation, but less bulky.

Actually they are not, well not all of them. None of the ones I listed are clodhoppers and are designed for trekking in the extreme cold. As for hunting boots it really depends as well. I have seen some that are clodhoppers and others that are not. When you need footwear that will keep you warm in extreme cold they are going to be bulkier than a boot designed for temps above 0, no real way around that.

Phocal

God
Well I swung by the local store I linked some of the boots from to basically check out their bunny boots. They only had size 9 in stock but they are brand new (well new old stock since they haven't been made in years) and fit perfectly. I have enough room to fit my ski socks but not my super warm mountaineering socks, but I should need them. I would need the 9 wide to get really thick wool socks in, but I have been assured that ski socks will be perfect for the boot. They do run big, I typically wear a 10 to 10.5 in hiking boots and these are perfect at size 9. Now that I know sizing I am going to look for the white ones that are rated to -60, mine are rated to -20. They will be good for most things but once I head into the interior of Alaska this winter I will need something warmer.

49381161997_b41bcf5328_k.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Bunny Boot by Phocal Art, on Flickr

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

LOL

Attachments

• C4E5CD0A-D9DA-4770-81CF-C33EC651F88B_1_201_a.jpeg
    C4E5CD0A-D9DA-4770-81CF-C33EC651F88B_1_201_a.jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 282
Real Name
Andrew L
Actually they are not, well not all of them. None of the ones I listed are clodhoppers and are designed for trekking in the extreme cold. As for hunting boots it really depends as well. I have seen some that are clodhoppers and others that are not. When you need footwear that will keep you warm in extreme cold they are going to be bulkier than a boot designed for temps above 0, no real way around that.
I hadn't seen where the OP specified how cold the weather was going to be, I am certainly coming from a point of experience that is above 0 degrees f. Naturally when things get a lot colder, you have to take measures! Although I would personally call your bunny boots clodhoppers, myself! :p

Vheissu

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Joshua
Probably overkill unless you live in Alaska/northern Canada/Siberia, but I have a pair of Nats 1530s that are rated for -94F. They definitely look like clodhoppers but they are actually UNBELIEVABLY light, (they make my running shoes feel heavy) and my feet never get cold in them. Beware that they fit very tight so get two sizes larger than you typically wear.

I’ve always had poor circulation in my feet and none of the winter boots I had when I lived in southern Canada (Sorels and Columbia) kept my feet warm like these do. I also know people who recommend the steigers and neos overboots, but I haven’t tried them personally and am completely happy with my Nats.

AaronE

Mu-43 All-Pro
Baffin boots. Sold at REI. I work in the Canadian Arctic and these are the go-tos with many models from:

https://www.baffin.com/

I wear the Eiger’s for sub-20C and the Atomics for warmer.

Sorel used to compete, but they were bought out by Coleman (or someone) and the standard isn’t there anymore. I still have my older Sorels and they are good for mucking, but poor on ice. The Baffin line of rubber insulated boots would be great for the Pacific NW.

Yes to the 1/2 size larger. One should be able to layer socks as with upper garments. I use a sock liner and a middle weight wool. The fit should be comfortable and never tight or even snug. You don’t want compression points. Air pockets are the insulation.
Sorel was bought by Columbia about 15 years ago.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
If it helps... I use my usual hiking boots (Lowa camino GTX) and change the inlays for sheepskin inlays during winter. And just wear ski socks, sometimes a second pair of merino socks when not walking too much and it has less than minus 20 C. Dirt cheap and works just fine.
I have often worn my old Vasque leather boots with wool socks, but they are not that warm and, more importantly, they are not waterproof (although they do resist water). In the PNW, we deal with a lot of cold rain, so I am leaning towards a waterproof boot if possible.

--Ken

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Yup. I have the Kamik's. Warm enough when moving in sub-freezing weather, but I can last in 20's F all day stationary -- just uncomfortable, but no frostbite. Don't stuff the socks tight, your toes need to move. The rubber transmits cold darn fast from snow/ice. I find that insulated pants and upper body insulation helps keep the feet warm also. The lack of support with these boots is very uncomfortable for walking long, so I do use rigid insoles with them (when I remember to put them in). The rubber lasts years -- but I did have one leak, maybe due to extreme brush busting that year. But at about $40 US vs. 3 or 4 times that for big brand name....

I find leather boots too much maintenance and not really any warmer. I do have an old LaCrosse pair, a double-lined affair, sort of like L.L. Bean boots (leather and rubber). Heavy but much better for the really cold.
You have hit the nail on the head regarding a lot of my concerns about the Kamiks (as I sit here wearing them to see how they feel). I probably won't do much hiking in them, but the lack of an insole did cause me some concern as I am not sure how they will feel if I am standing in them for long periods of time waiting for birds. I had to run some errands on lunch today so I stopped by the Columbia store to try on some boots. It seems like the more I learn the less I know. Each style of boot has pros and cons, but I am not sure what will be the best trade-off. The good thing about the Kamiks is that they are quite affordable, so if I end up keeping them and later need to make a change, I am not going to be too annoyed.

--Ken

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I hadn't seen where the OP specified how cold the weather was going to be, I am certainly coming from a point of experience that is above 0 degrees f. Naturally when things get a lot colder, you have to take measures! Although I would personally call your bunny boots clodhoppers, myself! :p
Thankfully I do not expect to see temperatures in the single digits or below. But, the often damp climate combined with poor circulation issues means that I can easily get cold even in 30-45 degree weather if I am not careful. I have been trying to get out more in the winter months and have gradually been upgrading my clothes to where I am not frozen while standing around. But, my lightly insulated shoes proved to be a weak link recently, and I am totally lacking in a waterproof footwear as well, so I guess I am trying to see if I can successfully kill two birds with one stone. Having tried on some seriously insulated Columbia boots today, I do wonder if I might end up with too warm of a boot for what I need, but most of what I have been seriously considering should be a decent improvement.

--Ken

Last edited:

hias

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Hias
I have often worn my old Vasque leather boots with wool socks, but they are not that warm and, more importantly, they are not waterproof (although they do resist water). In the PNW, we deal with a lot of cold rain, so I am leaning towards a waterproof boot if possible.

--Ken

Well, it's a difference between usual wool socks and some 'performance?' clothes. The idea behind my post was to maybe buy good hiking boots (if you don't have a pair; GTX is GoreTex and very solid when it comes to water, snow, ice, etc.), and don't waste money on a specific cold weather boot that got worn maybe 3 or 4 times a year. A solid hiking boot hold off almost anything, has propper insulation for every weather, and most importantly, is breathable and very comfortable. You just adjust your socks (good socks make a biiiig difference) and inlays for the weather and are good to go. Well, unless you plan on going into the arctic, of course.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
Are these new or fairly old? People seem to love the older Sorels. The new ones, not so much from what I have been reading. it seems the same for Timberlands. They have an insulated boot that many raved about. But if you read recent reviews, people say they are not constructed like they used to be. A review or two I would easily write off, but many on different sites makes it a bit harder. Not sure what to make of it?

--Ken

I have to admit they’re probably 10 years old, at least.

Orionwest

Mu-43 Regular
I use Asolo Gortex Hiking Boots with a Seal Skin sock booty and a sock liner for the coldest days and just heavy socks for the milder temps. They keep my feet warm and dry. I also use them in warmer weather with regular hiking socks. The Gortex is important as other waterproof materials may not let the feet breathe causing other painful problems. For my hands in freezing temps I have heated glove liners with special patches on the index and thumb which allow for using a touch screen. Along with the liners I have convertible mittens that have a fold down flap exposing the fingers for easy operation of any camera. I've used this setup when the temp was 8F and walked around for over three hours taking photos. My hands and feet were toasty warm!

Phocal

God
Was out in the Micky Mouse boots today on a 4 mile hike (just over 3 hours). The temperature was in the -5 to -10 range with a good wind, taking the temperature down to around -20. The boots were amazing, feet toasty warm the entire trip. What really amazed me were my new Black Diamond mittens. I was take off my mitten to shoot some photos and before putting my hand into the glove my hand would be really cold, almost painful cold. It would take 5-10 minutes, but my hands would be back to toasty warm. The mittens are the Black Diamond Mercury mittens and I highly recommend them. They make a warmer one that I will probably get, but they are $220 so I will wait until I absolutely need them.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Well, it's a difference between usual wool socks and some 'performance?' clothes. The idea behind my post was to maybe buy good hiking boots (if you don't have a pair; GTX is GoreTex and very solid when it comes to water, snow, ice, etc.), and don't waste money on a specific cold weather boot that got worn maybe 3 or 4 times a year. A solid hiking boot hold off almost anything, has propper insulation for every weather, and most importantly, is breathable and very comfortable. You just adjust your socks (good socks make a biiiig difference) and inlays for the weather and are good to go. Well, unless you plan on going into the arctic, of course.
There is great appeal about having a boot that can be worn beyond just photographing, and I have been giving it some consideration. I do have good socks for warmth, so that does not tend to be an issue for me. The current snow storm has passed us now, so I have a bit more breathing room to think about what might work best. But, what I suspect is that somehow when this is all done, I will have purchased at least two pair of boots one way or another. I am hoping not, but suspecting this may eventually be the case.

--Ken

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I use Asolo Gortex Hiking Boots with a Seal Skin sock booty and a sock liner for the coldest days and just heavy socks for the milder temps. They keep my feet warm and dry. I also use them in warmer weather with regular hiking socks. The Gortex is important as other waterproof materials may not let the feet breathe causing other painful problems. For my hands in freezing temps I have heated glove liners with special patches on the index and thumb which allow for using a touch screen. Along with the liners I have convertible mittens that have a fold down flap exposing the fingers for easy operation of any camera. I've used this setup when the temp was 8F and walked around for over three hours taking photos. My hands and feet were toasty warm!
I do not have heated gloves, but I do have USB charged handwarmers and many pairs of gloves and mittens at my disposable from trying to find something that worked well in colder temperatures. I ended up with a pair of Simms glove/mittens that are nice for shooting, but my favorite glvoes for mild weather are Smartwool liners. For some reason, they have just the right amount of circulation to keep my fingers from being isolated.

--Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom